Custom Music Lengthy Edition
So as people know, if it's not about Badham on switch I LOVE to talk about custom music in this game. So that's what I want to talk about. I've always thought of dbd to have 4 "eras" so far. The Beginning Era (the og ogs), The Normal DLC Era (every dlc that launched prior to custom lobby/chase music), The Lobby Era (custom lobby music became a thing), and The Current Era (custom lobby and chase music). Obviously, the devs are trying to bring the killers of dbd into the current era and stated that when a killer gets reworked they will be given new custom lobby and chase music (if they haven't obtained one or both already).
Obviously multiple killers still don't have music and I want to go over my thoughts on that.
The Killers who have both: Demogorgon, Oni, Doctor, Deathslinger, Pyramid Head, Hillbilly, Blight, Twins, Clown, and Trickster.
Killers who have only Lobby Music: Spirit, Legion, Plague, and Ghost Face.
Killers who have only Chase Music: Shape
Killers who have nothing: Trapper, Wraith, Nurse, Hag, Huntress, Cannibal, Freddy, and Pig
I want to focus on those last 3 lists. A few of those killers I feel like, at this point in time, their custom music is owed to us.
The killers I feel we are owed music are Wraith, Nurse, and Cannibal. Obviously I know that Cannibal probably didn't get his music for licensing reasons, but that doesn't mean it doesn't feel owed. They said they'd do one thing and Bubba seems to be the only exception to this new rule they have. My hope is that one day, they can discuss licensing with the license holders and get this chase music because out of the 3 that I feel are owed, Bubba is at the top of that list for that reason.
Nurse I feel is owed for a simple reason. She was updated for the current era of dbd between Demogorgon and Oni, two killers who have both custom lobby and chase music. I believe she was a little before they announced they wanted to try and give the killers all custom music, but it doesn't change the fact that she was updated in this era and was not given it. Which is why Nurse is on this list and not Freddy because Nurse was updated during this era and Freddy was right before Demo.
Last but not least, Wraith. C'mon. They changed Hillbilly less and they gave Hillbilly custom stuff. I believe McLean even said on a twitch stream that Wraith was supposed to get true invisibility and the faster movement speed at the same time, but it didn't pan out so movement speed was brought in later. Another instance of a killer who WAS updated for the current era of dbd and was not given custom music. It's owed.
Anyways that's all I wanted to talk about this time. Does anyone else feel certain killers are owed their custom music or is it just me? Personally I think that Bubba, Nurse, and Wraith were all reworked so they should have their music.
Comments
I wish I could choose my lobby theme from earlier ones that I didn't get to enjoy. As much as I love rad 80s-style neon (not sarcasm) I felt much more immersed in this game when it loaded up a quiet campfire in the woods.
Regarding music, am I the only one who feels that it's weird to have a moderately low thumping ambient score when playing as the killer? It seems artificial to me, like the killer is listening to his ipod. I'd rather it be completely silent when stalking. The chase music is fine, it's the "okay, the match has begun, go find victims" track that I don't like.
You're not completely alone on that about the ambient score. I just want my custom music because when they give it to us, it gives this feeling of "This killer really was just brought into the modern dbd era." When they don't change it, it feels like "Oh, well they're still old dbd standards." I just think certain killers deserve their music given to them even if there are some like you where it's like "The chase music is fine".
Yeah I think that the killers' unique "theme music" (I believe that's essentially the same thing that you're referring to) is pretty cool. I like pretty much all of them. I haven't been playing the game long enough to know a time when things were different. It's just the generic "dun-dun-dun-dun" killer wander music that I don't care for.
I started playing when the game released on switch which was like the week after Stranger Things released and I've been following what's been goin on in dbd since Ghost Face released.