PSA: Oni and how his power works (please read if you don't know how)

Skip to the next part if you want to get straight into the details:

Alright, I am writing this discussion because I am tired of people accusing me of cheating when playing Oni. Even a live twitch streamer thought I was with 1500+ hours on this game (he claimed) and there was even a person in chat who said they had been playing since this game was released (he claimed), I highly doubt this. There was also another streamer who wasn't live but also agreed with the statement that I was cheating. They said that I could only get my power "that fast" with addons and that I should stop "making it obvious" that I am cheating. I mean it makes sense, since I got two early hits in the first 40 seconds of the game and then some. /s

I tried to explain to them how Oni's power works, but they said they knew and whatever. They then said they would report me and blah blah blah.

The next part:

The general consensus for me or maybe other Oni players cheating is something along the lines of "You shouldn't get your power that fast, so you must be cheating".

This is Oni's base power (without addons) and how the important stuff works:

  • When the Oni hits a healthy survivor, he gets 40% of his power. (40 charges)
  • it takes 100 blood orbs or "charges" to activate yamaoka's wrath
  • One blood orb = 2.5 charges
  • Every 4 seconds, an injured survivor will drop 2 blood orbs so the Oni will get 5% each time survivors bleed a pair of 2
  • Giving the Oni 2 hits and a few extra blood orbs very early in the game will get him his power
  • When downing a survivor in blood fury, the Oni loses 7 seconds from 45 of his total duration of the power
  • When picking up a survivor, the Oni has his power duration paused
  • Whenever an injured survivor drops a pallet, vaults, or tbags (one orb, and yes you drop orbs from this) they will drop 2 blood orbs
  • Bonus tip: If there are already 100 charges (blood orbs) on the map, survivors will stop spawning more until you start to spend it.

So say that you are injured from an Oni and immediately run away to work on a gen, this whole action takes about 12 seconds, during this time you will drop 6 blood orbs which is 15% of the Oni's power. This is just one person, so you can accumulate a bunch of blood rather quickly.

The one thing you don't want to do against the Oni is give him the first hit of the game, especially two early hits which is what happened in my game with the streamer.

You bleed a lot faster than you think against Oni which is why you should heal whenever you can.

-rep he called me a bad word and hurt my feewings :( lol but in all seriousness it was pretty funny, everyone there was saying how they know how Oni's power works, apparently not.

Comments

  • Don't forget the extra part where certain survivor interactions will also give extra blood orbs basekit, vaulting a window, dropping a pallet, vaulting a pallet are some of the ways oni can get his power much faster from frantic survivors

  • It only takes 40 blood orbs at 2.5 charges per orb, doesn't it?

    Either way, yeah, Oni can get his power insanely quick if the survivors aren't careful, and he can stay that way if he keeps snowballing because everyone's either injured or healing. I have no clue why anyone wouldn't know this. Two healthy hits and the resultant blood orbs is enough to get Oni going.

  • Also the blood orgs can accumulate and if the survivor is in the same area for a long time, oni could easily get his power even if he fully depleted.

  • This is why i hate the Twitch TV guys, they just self promote, and always accuse ppl of stream snipe. and they are the most toxic players in the game, especially survivors

  • @Someissues said:

    This is why i hate the Twitch TV guys, they just self promote, and always accuse ppl of stream snipe. and they are the most toxic players in the game, especially survivors

    Not necessarily, this is the first ttv streamer who I have gone up against who was toxic like this. Most of the ones I meet are pretty chill.

  • @bjorksnas said:

    Don't forget the extra part where certain survivor interactions will also give extra blood orbs basekit, vaulting a window, dropping a pallet, vaulting a pallet are some of the ways oni can get his power much faster from frantic survivors

    and tbagging

  • yea, and lockers, but mainly the 3 most common actions taken in a chase besides holding W grants oni more blood orbs to get his power faster it doesn't even reset the 4 second timer meaning they are nothing but bonus on top of his base power and can come in handy in a pinch

  • Have they never played against an Oni that is using the add on where you can see your own blood orbs? In the time it takes to do a normal heal you get surrounded by so many blood orbs, there's plenty there to power him up in one go. After first time facing Oni using that add on I saw for myself how many blood orbs I drop being injured.

  • @bm33 said:

    Have they never played against an Oni that is using the add on where you can see your own blood orbs? In the time it takes to do a normal heal you get surrounded by so many blood orbs, there's plenty there to power him up in one go. After first time facing Oni using that add on I saw for myself how many blood orbs I drop being injured.

    I doubt it, everyone was against me in chat and everyone also apparently knew how Oni's power worked and that I could only get my power that fast with addons.

    And this is just how strong Oni is without addons, he is a monster with them.

  • @bjorksnas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2122396#Comment_2122396

    yea, and lockers, but mainly the 3 most common actions taken in a chase besides holding W grants oni more blood orbs to get his power faster it doesn't even reset the 4 second timer meaning they are nothing but bonus on top of his base power and can come in handy in a pinch

    Wait lockers also make you drop blood? lol rip locker dweets then

  • @zombitehdeath said:

    Also the blood orgs can accumulate and if the survivor is in the same area for a long time, oni could easily get his power even if he fully depleted.

    The thing is I didn't even fully deplete at the start of the match I had with the streamer. I only used it to down him at the start and then immediately hooked her, and there was already a bunch of blood orbs that spawned before that. It shocks me to know how little most players know about how Oni's power works.

  • @Yords said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2122572#Comment_2122572

    Wait lockers also make you drop blood? lol rip locker dweets then

    exiting a locker while injured makes you drop 2 blood orbs, entering a locker and being in a locker doesn't drop blood orbs though so you can still use lockers to stealth against an oni while injured

  • @bjorksnas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2126719#Comment_2126719

    exiting a locker while injured makes you drop 2 blood orbs, entering a locker and being in a locker doesn't drop blood orbs though so you can still use lockers to stealth against an oni while injured

    Ah I see