so if they suicide by hook... (Quick Question)

Say you play Survivor. Join a game, it starts... it could be against any Killer. Seriously, any of them.

Within the first minute, maybe a half, one of your teammates gets caught, downed, and hooked. And they start struggling. Oh, crap. "Do they have Slippery Meat?" you wonder. Nope! They force themselves into Struggle phase, then promptly give up and die. Wonderous. Now they get a free ticket out (besides the depip) and you're stuck missing a valuable fourth teammate.

Now what?

Common decency says the Killer should be nice(r)... Show some kind of mercy. After all, you've just been screwed through no fault of your own, and it's no fair to you (or the remainder of the team) to try and fight with a disadvantage right from the start. However, most Killers don't care or pay any attention to this. After all, it only makes things easier for them! so why should they care?

So I ask, is there any hope of a new piece of code being implemented, that either:

  1. Detects that a Survivor purposefully killed themselves on hook and ends the game immediately...
  2. ...or at least halts the game and forces everyone to play nice? (It's harder to imagine this route being added, but I'd like to add that the Killer's Offering and Addons should not be spent should this happen, probably as well as the Survivors'.)

Comments

  • I sincerely doubt it on both accounts

    For #1, if they could detect that the survivor purposefully killed themselves to get out of the game, I'd imagine it would be marked as a DC instead

    For #2, that also wouldn't ever happen as BHVR has made it perfectly clear that the killers tactics (short of hacking or something) is on the killer (hence tunneling/face camping are considered unsporting but perfect legal moves).

    Ultimately though it's not going to matter pretty soon as suicide on hook is about to become kind of a thing of the past since they're removing the Struggle Mechanic...

    https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1379464033842126851

  • @crystalkitti said:

    Say you play Survivor. Join a game, it starts... it could be against any Killer. Seriously, any of them.

    Within the first minute, maybe a half, one of your teammates gets caught, downed, and hooked. And they start struggling. Oh, crap. "Do they have Slippery Meat?" you wonder. Nope! They force themselves into Struggle phase, then promptly give up and die. Wonderous. Now they get a free ticket out (besides the depip) and you're stuck missing a valuable fourth teammate.

    Now what?

    Common decency says the Killer should be nice(r)... Show some kind of mercy. After all, you've just been screwed through no fault of your own, and it's no fair to you (or the remainder of the team) to try and fight with a disadvantage right from the start. However, most Killers don't care or pay any attention to this. After all, it only makes things easier for them! so why should they care?

    So I ask, is there any hope of a new piece of code being implemented, that either:

    1. Detects that a Survivor purposefully killed themselves on hook and ends the game immediately...
    2. ...or at least halts the game and forces everyone to play nice? (It's harder to imagine this route being added, but I'd like to add that the Killer's Offering and Addons should not be spent should this happen, probably as well as the Survivors'.)

    I can't speak of other Killers but I do tend to take this into account. A 3v1 early game, when 0-1 Generators are up is pretty much auto-fail for the remaining three Survivors. If I run them down fast they tend to give up too and I don't get a return on my time. So for the good of all four of us remaining, I tend to kick down into a lower gear. I'm not facing near as much difficulty keeping generator pressure so there is no reason not to just rack up chase points, destroy walls and pallets, and damage Generators for the maximum.

    I make sure that I hook few and far between until they have brought up 1-2 Generators and then I resume a normal game if feasible. If not, I'll let them get the points they can and eventually wax them.

  • The hook system is being changed by adding skill checks instead of struggle so they can't do that anymore.

    Also it's nice if the killer plays a bit nicer if it happens but if they don't want to then that's up to them. After all they may just want to get the match done as quickly as possible to move onto another.

  • @tippy2k2 said:

    I sincerely doubt it on both accounts

    For #1, if they could detect that the survivor purposefully killed themselves to get out of the game, I'd imagine it would be marked as a DC instead

    For #2, that also wouldn't ever happen as BHVR has made it perfectly clear that the killers tactics (short of hacking or something) is on the killer (hence tunneling/face camping are considered unsporting but perfect legal moves).

    Ultimately though it's not going to matter pretty soon as suicide on hook is about to become kind of a thing of the past since they're removing the Struggle Mechanic...

    https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1379464033842126851

    Yes, they're removing the Struggle. But Survs can still kill themselves on hook.

    And, fine... and yet, Killers still get salty with me when I call them out for being a jerk. :I

    @Moundshroud said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/241143/so-if-they-suicide-by-hook-quick-question

    I can't speak of other Killers but I do tend to take this into account. A 3v1 early game, when 0-1 Generators are up is pretty much auto-fail for the remaining three Survivors. If I run them down fast they tend to give up too and I don't get a return on my time. So for the good of all four of us remaining, I tend to kick down into a lower gear. I'm not facing near as much difficulty keeping generator pressure so there is no reason not to just rack up chase points, destroy walls and pallets, and damage Generators for the maximum.

    I make sure that I hook few and far between until they have brought up 1-2 Generators and then I resume a normal game if feasible. If not, I'll let them get the points they can and eventually wax them.

    Bless you, sir / madam / other. At least you consider us poor Survs.. xD

  • BHVR is in a tough predicament, where this scenario is concerned.

    On one hand, this is your classic case of "one bad apple spoils the bunch." It doesn't happen ALL that frequently, but its frequent enough to really ruin other players' experience and opinions of the game.

    On the other hand, it is entirely possible for 3 survivors to escape in a 3v1 with 5 generators left.

    ---

    I used to be of the mind that a killer should sympathize with the survivors when this happens and play in a more forgiving manner. However, after devoting several hundred more hours into this game, I no longer expect the killer to change their playstyle. In fact, I sympathize with the killer. When I play killer I am expecting a challenge, or at least to be challenged in some regard. When a survivor kills themself on first hook or d/c's early in the game, the remaining 3 survivors give up.

    The least enjoyable experiences I have had in DBD are when I want to be challenged as a killer, and the survivors refuse to participate in normal gameplay.

    ---

    That said...

    If you proxy camp hook and refuse to commit to a chase in a 3v1, you're boring.

    A killer who camps hook in a 3v1 with 5 gens left is scummy. The only situation in which I could respect a killer for playing like this would be if a survivor brought OoO, a key, or the killer has a grudge against the survivor(s) from a previous match.