What is With This Killer Matchmaking?

I know this thread is beating a dead horse but this has gotten especially frustrating the past week for me.

When you first start the game you are a grey rank. Then you get matched with a ton of Yellow Rank survivors. Well that makes sense, it won't take much effort to get good enough to hit Yellow rank. Just learn the basic mechanics of a game and within a few gameplay sessions you're perfect.

Then you hit yellow ranks, and now you're fighting nothing but Green ranks (At least 2-3 people each game will be Green or up.) Well these people are going to be a challenge, but again doable. You really have to git gud and learn your perks better, understand loops, mind games etc.

Eventually you win enough times you get in Green ranks. Well now everyone you're against is Purple or Red. Now you REALLY need to get good to win. You'll see some occasional sweat squads but they're still a far enough away that it's more foreshadowing than actual devestation. You can still etch out a kill or two, git gud and a few lucky wins.

Now you're in purple. Well #########. Now all you're ever going to see are red ranks and purple. now you have to get really good or you'll always have a bad time. This is where killers go to die. Sure sometimes you'll get some fair games, but the great majority is going to have 2-3 people who just make an absolute fool out of you. The kind that will kick your ass without getting hooked once and then chasing your ass down once the door is open just to teabag you. You thought you were tough? Yeah you ain't #########, by the way end game closed we're still going to remind you that you're absolute dogshit in post game chat.

Well what happens after that? I have no idea I've never been red rank killer, but it doesn't honestly seem to matter because I'm already seeing 2-3 red ranks every game I play with very few outliers.

This game seems to have this ranking up system where you have to git gud no matter what. It's not like other games I've played where I'll be matched with equal skill level, where my odds of winning are 50-50 where some games will be close loses, some close wins, and sometimes that pendulum swings really far one way or the other but that's a rarity not the expectation. Like in Overwatch. I can stay in Silver foreeeever, and I can have some really fun games, some kind of ######### games, but 3 hours later I'm still having a good time. I don't have to get better, I can just exist as I am.

Just mega frustrating. I don't want to have to always sweat. At this point I have to play mega toxic to get a single kill and hope it snowballs through pure altruism. But if I get that single kill well it's SAFETY PIP. Nah son you're here FOREVER nobody goes back where they came from.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

  • Absolutely frustrating, but you are correct that git gud is the name of the game. In a perfect scenario the survivors will have the advantage every time. But the perfect scenario is incredibly rare (even amongst the Sweaty SWF's that have one or two really good loopers), and as a killer you control the single biggest variable to your own success - your play.

    Be toxic. Tunnel, camp, harass survivors and BM them. Figure out what makes them tilt and play poorly and bring that same mindset to the next game. Eventually your tunneling will switch to proxying, and beyond that it'll teach you how to bring survivors to you in a way that you can punish those low-ranks for the high risk/reward playstyles they love to shove in your face.

    As long as you have a learning mentality you will reach Rank 1 killer and learn that the things survivors do that tick you off are manageable.

  • @RiskyKara said:

    I know this thread is beating a dead horse but this has gotten especially frustrating the past week for me.

    When you first start the game you are a grey rank. Then you get matched with a ton of Yellow Rank survivors. Well that makes sense, it won't take much effort to get good enough to hit Yellow rank. Just learn the basic mechanics of a game and within a few gameplay sessions you're perfect.

    Then you hit yellow ranks, and now you're fighting nothing but Green ranks (At least 2-3 people each game will be Green or up.) Well these people are going to be a challenge, but again doable. You really have to git gud and learn your perks better, understand loops, mind games etc.

    Eventually you win enough times you get in Green ranks. Well now everyone you're against is Purple or Red. Now you REALLY need to get good to win. You'll see some occasional sweat squads but they're still a far enough away that it's more foreshadowing than actual devestation. You can still etch out a kill or two, git gud and a few lucky wins.

    Now you're in purple. Well #########. Now all you're ever going to see are red ranks and purple. now you have to get really good or you'll always have a bad time. This is where killers go to die. Sure sometimes you'll get some fair games, but the great majority is going to have 2-3 people who just make an absolute fool out of you. The kind that will kick your ass without getting hooked once and then chasing your ass down once the door is open just to teabag you. You thought you were tough? Yeah you ain't #########, by the way end game closed we're still going to remind you that you're absolute dogshit in post game chat.

    Well what happens after that? I have no idea I've never been red rank killer, but it doesn't honestly seem to matter because I'm already seeing 2-3 red ranks every game I play with very few outliers.

    This game seems to have this ranking up system where you have to git gud no matter what. It's not like other games I've played where I'll be matched with equal skill level, where my odds of winning are 50-50 where some games will be close loses, some close wins, and sometimes that pendulum swings really far one way or the other but that's a rarity not the expectation. Like in Overwatch. I can stay in Silver foreeeever, and I can have some really fun games, some kind of ######### games, but 3 hours later I'm still having a good time. I don't have to get better, I can just exist as I am.

    Just mega frustrating. I don't want to have to always sweat. At this point I have to play mega toxic to get a single kill and hope it snowballs through pure altruism. But if I get that single kill well it's SAFETY PIP. Nah son you're here FOREVER nobody goes back where they came from.

    Thanks for reading.

    There's a simple answer. Quit trying so hard and play for fun.

    The harder you try, the harder you have to try in the future. If you play for fun, then you'll drop back down to a level where it's fun to play.