After Firsthand Experience w/ Trickster Today, He’s Far Worse Than I Thought
WOW, holy sh!t Trickster is way worse than I initially thought with PTB observation.
I’ve played as and against Trickster way more than I wanted to today, and he’s far and away the worst killer in the game.
Using BHVR’s backwards logic and purchasing the chapter I didn’t want to since I could already tell was pretty bad, I played as and against Trickster so that my opinion could be seen as actually valid by the devs.
Trickster is pathetic. He can’t catch up with survivors for long enough to injure them, he can’t down survivors as quick as other killers, he can’t use his special ability when he needs it, he can’t spread pressure. The Trickster apparently can’t do anything well.
I think this is my last post on the matter. I’m tired of feeling unheard like in the past with the release of A Binding of Kin, The Twins, PTB to Live’s absence of actually meaningful changes, longstanding known issues in the game, etc.
Just give me this one thing, this is what Trickster need to be viable and fun.
- Ricochet base kit, for more of a unique identity and fun.
- Increase movement speed to 4.6 m/s. Trickster can’t catch up to survivors fast enough to actually use his power. This is not a power that is viable for long ranged encounters.
- Main Event should not have a timed window for use. It is rare that Main Event will come into play at a time that it can actually help.
- Remove the movement speed penalty while using Main Event. It’s DELUSIONAL to make a special ability WORSE THAN THE BASE ABILITY!!!!!!!
- Remove auto throw on Main Event. Not sure why it exists other than to screw with Trickster even more.
- Allow Trickster to pick up survivors and open lockers in Main Event. Have you guys not learned from The Twins? Does anyone test this? The survivors can completely avoid anything Trickster could have done by just getting in a locker.
- Remove/reduce the climb while throwing multiple blades. It makes no sense when Plague is faster and can injure and down faster without the climb. It feels awful.
- Reduce the blades required to damage survivors from 8 to 7. It takes entirely too long to down with Trickster’s power.
- Single shots should mean something and reward skilled killers. Single shots should grant bonus Laceration.
- Laceration should not passively decrease. Laceration must be manually removed by survivors so that Trickster has basic map pressure/slow down. Passively Laceration fade forces Trickster to commit to chases that should otherwise be abandoned for risk of wasting invested time. This is the equivalent of Plague’s infection passively decreasing.
I’m truly at the end of my rope with BHVR and probably this game. Stop repeating the same mistakes over and over and over and over again. Listen to your community, no more “please.”
I bought the chapter, so my opinion is now valid. Can’t wait to wait at least 2 weeks with a bad killer for probably minimal changes.
Comments
He needs serious buffs. I think he is the worst killer now. Playing killer like Wraith or Clown feels much better and less exhausting for me.
Because of how bad the devs were in taking feedback I didn't buy the chapter, and just bought the characters with shards. Having said that before this whole debacle with the U.I. and the P.T.B. for all Kill I had just gotten into the game at the tail end of last year and I bought all of the D.L.C. up to that point other than the purely cosmetic charity bundle.
Had the devs done more to listen about the U.I. changes and about The Trickster I'd have gladly bought the D.L.C. instead of just the characters. But because they didn't listen I didn't buy.
I've been playing Trickster for about three hours now, started with no add-ons to get a feel for things. At first I thought his power was bugged, because no where in the description does it say you have a limited window to activate it and why would you ever put a limited window to activation in the first place? Because Behavior I guess. I only found out about this after looking to see if someone else had already made a bug report about it and found the thread on how it's not bugged at all. So I fully agree with number 3. I am getting punished for using my power to down people and having my secondary ability taken away from me because of it. What. Just, what.
I agree with numbers 2, 5, and 10 wholeheartedly. 2) Lower speed makes sense on the other Killers that have it but with Trickster his power isn't so much a "ranged power" as it is an "anti-loop" one. Being able to build up Laceration over short walls, pallets and windows is great but without the normal Killer speed you don't have any real threat unless Survivors play really badly. 5) Again, I am being punished for using my power. There have been times where I have activated it and started throwing and the Survivor jukes out of line of sight and because I can't stop throwing I fall behind. I've not really noticed number 4, why I didn't include it above, but maybe that's why I'm falling behind and not the auto throw. 10) It going down on it's own is just, why? Why. No other Killer has a Power that just... goes away if the Survivors wait long enough. Make it so they have to Mend for a short while to lower the meter. I don't care if they can do it by themselves with no Medkit or Perk, just anything other than it going down automatically.
I have no comment to make on number 1 because I've not used that add-on yet, only have one of them. I'd say either this or the shatter effect should be base kit instead of just having to hit with knives.
I don't really have a problem with number 6 because you can cancel your ability at any time, and picking up or opening lockers should probably cancel it. I see the lockers thing being a problem as you have to wait for the cooldown animation to finish but that's the same with Legion and Bubba so I don't really agree with number 6.
I've also not had a problem with number 7, it's just another factor to the skill in playing the killer, like you have to compensate for the pull on Huntress hatchets. I'd be fine without number 7 being done but I totally agree with number 9. Being skilled and hitting with single blades should be rewarded.
I don't know about 8. I've not had much trouble getting to eight hits and six seems like a bit much. I've used the add-on that makes it the "Laceration meter capacity" is lower but I'm not sure by how much, if it makes it seven or six knives to wound. Maybe drop it to seven base and keep the add-ons the same. Making it an odd number will also allow for interesting skill plays when running lower on knives. Unless you're using the plus fifteen add-on and are already at an odd base number. Also, going from eight to six while also doing suggestion 9 and having single shot knives count as two would be really powerful so it's probably one or the other and personally I'd rather have suggestion number 9 over 8.
In the end I'm just not having fun with Trickster. At all. So far maybe two of my games have come close to being fun but in the end I had no real pressure and didn't ever feel like I could win. The one game I was one hook away from a 4k wasn't even all that fun because I didn't use my power for much of it and really only got that close because Survivors kept hiding in the bushes in obvious walking paths so I literally kept bumping into them.
Yup, Trick Blades and Edge of Revival (ricochet and shatter) should definitely get the Freddy "pallets or snares" treatment. Low rarity add-ons to switch between the two as they're his most fun add-ons that aren't even really powerful. Also think the Cut Thru U (pierce through blades) add-on should maybe be base-kit, as it's extremely rare that survivors will just be standing on top of each other for you to get any actual value from this add-on which is very rare.
The difference between Trickster and Legion in this regard with opening lockers is that Legion can actually still open lockers while in Frenzy without going into fatigue. Bubba on the other hand can still pressure survivors in lockers by bumping into it and forcing them to time their exit or risk being instantly grabbed, and even if they can't grab the survivor, they can still get a hit on them.
7 is mainly an issue for me because it seems especially harsh on the console side of things and also poorly contrasts with Plague's absence of the climb with her Purge. The two abilities are functionally pretty similar so I don't really see why Trickster needs to have a draw back when Plague, Huntress, and Deathslinger all don't have it.
You're right with 8. 6 may be a bit overkill and 7 sound fine when considering the movement speed increase and the single shot bonus.
Thanks for stopping in Vlad. :)
As an Ellet PC Gamer (tm) I don't really think of the console experience, so my condolences for the trials you must go through in that wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Jokes aside while we should indeed compared new Powers to old Powers I see the climb with Trickster's blades as part of the learning curve on Trickster. Knowing when to time your tantrum with Cannibal, Nurse's Blink window, Deathslinger range, Huntress pull and lead time, Blight distance for a bounce before the Rush ends, and so on. Having to deal with blade pull is all part of his learning process.
What really needs to be fixed to make the pull on the blades balanced is console latency and other console issues. Fix that and then it becomes part of the "learn this Killer" package instead of a hardware issue.
As someone who really enjoys his Dream Pallets having low rarity add-ons that change powers around is a win in my book. Everyone keeps calling for rebound to be base-kit but I've only played with shatter so I don't know which should be base and which should be the add-on. One idea I read that I liked was rebound base but they shatter if you hit the ground so just aiming at Survivor's feet won't work. If you did that then just remove the add-ons that make it bounce or shatter all together, or have a shatter add-on at a lower rarity that makes them shatter on any contact, including a Survivor, as well as the ground. I've also not run the pierce add-on yet but in my experience Survivors very rarely ever form a straight line. Even when someone is running behind someone else for protection hits they tend to stagger a bit and not be right behind slash in-front of each other.