is the killer the true "host" of the match?

I've been under the impression that survivors in a match are in the killers lobby, making the killer the host.. but what does it mean when the killer disconnects from host?

Comments

  • @aylawell said:

    I've been under the impression that survivors in a match are in the killers lobby, making the killer the host.. but what does it mean when the killer disconnects from host?

    Not anymore there and servers for dbd so that means your connection wasn't good enough to the server

  • @aylawell said:

    I've been under the impression that survivors in a match are in the killers lobby, making the killer the host.. but what does it mean when the killer disconnects from host?

    It used to be like this, yes. But for over a year now we have dedicated servers. So no, the killer is not the host.

  • The killer still gets priority on hits, though.

  • @AVoiceOfReason said:

    The killer still gets priority on hits, though.

    That's not actually true, it is just perceived that way. When you get hit but feel you shouldn't that is latency not "priority"

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2052323#Comment_2052323

    That's not actually true, it is just perceived that way. When you get hit but feel you shouldn't that is latency not "priority"

    It is when my ping is 42 and I got hit from 7 steps away. The killers' ping is ######### so I get punished. That is priority. I'm closer to the server obviously compared to the killer but I got latency? That's not how latency works. The farther away you are, the worse latency is. If the killer has ######### ping and the hit still registers on HIS side and goes on, he got priority. It's the same in COD.

  • It used to be the case, but now we have dedicated servers.

  • @AVoiceOfReason said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2052329#Comment_2052329

    It is when my ping is 42 and I got hit from 7 steps away. The killers' ping is ######### so I get punished. That is priority. I'm closer to the server obviously compared to the killer but I got latency? That's not how latency works. The farther away you are, the worse latency is. If the killer has ######### ping and the hit still registers on HIS side and goes on, he got priority. It's the same in COD.

    You can't actually know the killer's ping because you can't see it. Stop projecting.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2052358#Comment_2052358

    You can't actually know the killer's ping because you can't see it. Stop projecting.

    its not projecting when their ping is 42. that's a pretty low number, especially in DBD. so if dude is walking past the window and still gets hit, its not from the survivors end that things went awry.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2052358#Comment_2052358

    You can't actually know the killer's ping because you can't see it. Stop projecting.

    I know what latency is and I know if my ping is under 50 and I get hit farther than intended, its not my connection that is #########. It's the killers' side and he still has priority.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2052323#Comment_2052323

    That's not actually true, it is just perceived that way. When you get hit but feel you shouldn't that is latency not "priority"

    It actually is. The hit authority is on the killers side unless they have some crazy lag like 250+ ms. Even then it’s not clear their hit validation works especially since survivors can’t see the killers ping.

    edit: When I say hit authority I mean whatever the killer sees on their screen is accepted as a valid hit.

  • @th3 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2052329#Comment_2052329

    It actually is. The hit authority is on the killers side unless they have some crazy lag like 250+ ms. Even then it’s not clear their hit validation works especially since survivors can’t see the killers ping.

    edit: When I say hit authority I mean whatever the killer sees on their screen is accepted as a valid hit.

    I can safely say that is not true, i have had games against laggy survivors where my hits go right through them.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2052652#Comment_2052652

    I can safely say that is not true, i have had games against laggy survivors where my hits go right through them.

    That’s a fundamental misunderstanding of how the system works. The flow of data goes like this.

    You->Server

    Server->Other Player

    Other Player->Server

    Server->You

    This also doesn’t count wireless connections it’s assuming you are wired.

    When you lag the other players actions are not replicated onto your client. This means the typical instances of lag appear such as choppy movement, indicators at the top of your screen, and hits not connecting (only if your connection exceeds the parameter they setup for hit validation.). Because there is this disconnect now between the killer not being the host and survivors via the dedicated servers it’s difficult to ascertain if they are lagging or you are. The server will do movement interpolation when they lag which basically on the loss/laggy connection will assume the last input registered is still being registered until they get fresh info from the client. This can be observed when a survivor runs into a wall not moving at all. That’s interpolation taking the last input from the survivor and waiting for a refresh. The point of this example is that lag is hard to discern if it is the other player or you who is not receiving up to date information to allow you a clean valid hit.

  • @th3 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2052664#Comment_2052664

    That’s a fundamental misunderstanding of how the system works. The flow of data goes like this.

    You->Server

    Server->Other Player

    Other Player->Server

    Server->You

    This also doesn’t count wireless connections it’s assuming you are wired.

    When you lag the other players actions are not replicated onto your client. This means the typical instances of lag appear such as choppy movement, indicators at the top of your screen, and hits not connecting (only if your connection exceeds the parameter they setup for hit validation.). Because there is this disconnect now between the killer not being the host and survivors via the dedicated servers it’s difficult to ascertain if they are lagging or you are. The server will do movement interpolation when they lag which basically on the loss/laggy connection will assume the last input registered is still being registered until they get fresh info from the client. This can be observed when a survivor runs into a wall not moving at all. That’s interpolation taking the last input from the survivor and waiting for a refresh. The point of this example is that lag is hard to discern if it is the other player or you who is not receiving up to date information to allow you a clean valid hit.

    I'm a software engineer. I don't need someone to poorly explain this because you are quite wrong.