I think Ruin/Undying might have been the worst thing to ever happen to this game (theory)

I stopped playing some months back maybe around October or so. Over the later Summer I had been doing really well as killer. The game itself played like business as usual. Since returning however a lot of games just feel unwinnable. Like with the killer I've picked no matter what there was nothing that really went wrong in that game, it just wasn't possible to win.

I've noticed that survivors no longer leave generators, they stick to them like glue no matter what. It seems clear to me evaluating the games that this is the real damage dealer, and once a gen is done its done for good so there's not much chance to come back when survivors play this way. Previously games where kind of chill, yeah they would "rush gens" but they'd also go for unhooks and heals allowing you to kick a gen or Pop it and get some regression. Before survivors would all rush to be the one to get the unhook points but now I see more survivors left on hook than ever and you know a rescue won't happen until after a gen pops. Nobody hook rushes anymore, everybody wants to stick to their gen and finish it.

In my most recent game it hit me - I had Ruin. Facepalm moment because of course they're going to stick to generators, I've put them in that position. However I rarely take Ruin and even without it survivors still play like this. My theory is that 4 solid months of Ruin/Undying meta has conditioned players to play like this. 4 months is a long time ya know, habits form.

Coincidentally this is exactly how they played in last years tournaments if you remember. "gens before friends". Just stick to the gens no matter what and once it's gone its gone and your objective count decreases, it's the survivor equivalent of tunneling. Which proves my point that you don't need to be a top tier player to imitate tournament gameplay lol it's also a very hard strategy for low tier killers to come back from. I feel like I'm kind of being forced to play top tier only if I even want a chance of winning.

Comments

  • Yes, but Ruin itself came about BECAUSE of a need to combat genrushing. You'd chase someone off a gen, do 30 seconds in the chase, and then circle back and finish it.


    There needs to be a wider variety of ways to handle gen pressure, but this is impossible to balance because every killer pressures gen differently. What might be balanced for Trapper because god-tier on a Nurse.

  • It was a bad combo that only effects a single survivor in chase. Some survivors complaining about totems being hard was laughable as they have long been heavily unreliable due to placement.

    Just personally I don't use hex perks because anyone of them that signals it's exsistance is broken shortly after.

  • You may be right, I did notice myself commiting way more to gens after Undying+Ruin+Tinkerer was implemented, especially against high mobility Killers, the thing is sure that combo is not that strong but now this is my gameplay style and I dont feel any necessity to switch it.

  • Whenever I run pop corrupt survivors tend to stick together more which is great. Add on oppression and the gens they left are also regressing

  • Having to use perks that revolve around slowing gens down is bad balance to me

  • Dying light - Trash

    Thana - Trash on most killers

    Pop - Only useable after hook lmao

    Ruin - The only good slowdown perk is a freaking hex perk

    Maybe, you would have to do difficult skill checks to cleanse a hex perk? No no, just place em in the survivors face. Those devs change things nobody asked and don't change things that need a change.