Clown isn’t weak, he just needs brains 🧠

Clown isn’t for everyone.

And that’s ok.

He was never weak before his update, and he most definitely isn’t anything remotely resembling weak now.

Clown has always been deceptively simple looking, but beneath the surface has been rather complex (in comparison to the other killers) because the Tonics TRUE power has always been the ability for the killer/player to CONTROL where a survivor goes in a chase.

But of course in order to achieve that it requires some damn quick thinking and the ability to almost constantly focus on more than just the survivor in front of Clown.

The Antidote, namely Clown Invigorating himself amplifies just how deadly accidentally running through a Tonic now is for a survivor. If thought is put into set ups with both Antidote & Tonic, Clown creates many, MANY “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” circumstances for a survivor whether they’re successfully diverted away from somewhere or if they’re successfully forced through a Tonic in their last desperate attempt to reach a pallet or vault.

That’s simply too much to think about for some players. So many posts claiming the Antidote is pointless, or mistaking it as a mobility tool and lamenting its still not good for traversal is evidence that many “still don’t get it”.

And this is ok. Not every killer is for everyone. I’ll never be able to wrap my head around the precision required for Nurse, despite Clown teaching me the ability to reliably predict where survivors are going. And that’s ok too.

I’m not attempting to be arrogant. I’m not implying that those that don’t get Clown are dumb. Clown rewards the ability to strategise over precision.

If you can’t see the ways to strategise with Clown, that’s ok. He’s just not for you. But that isn’t grounds to claim he’s weak.

Comments

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1941740#Comment_1941740

    And it isn't hard at all to snipe an immobile survivor. Which is the only time you'll want to directly hit, otherwise shoot the bottle in front of them. Unless you're using pinky finger.

    On indoor maps, direct accuracy during a chase while a survivor is weaving is very important.

    Its more difficult for Clown to plan gas ahead of a survivor, so he needs to give them more severe blurred vision in attempt to get survivors accidentally running into obstructions.

    Its surprisingly effective.

  • @ManInaPickle said:

    So I keep seeing you talk about how clown is great, but I never see you post any gameplay? I know you play on the new consoles and those have built in video capture now, so why haven't you uploaded any videos to show examples of how clown is awesome?

    Fact: a person can play video games without feeling obligated to jump on twitch and YouTube.

    I’m just not the kind of person that particularly likes doing that. I just wanna play my games.

  • @ManInaPickle said:

    So I keep seeing you talk about how clown is great, but I never see you post any gameplay? I know you play on the new consoles and those have built in video capture now, so why haven't you uploaded any videos to show examples of how clown is awesome?

    So I'm a looong time forum lurker, first time poster, and I too always see OP say how good clown is. But I don't see where he provides specific examples other than something along the lines of "he's good trust me I have experience".


    I also would be very interested to see game play from OP with clown.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1941935#Comment_1941935

    So there's no point to directly landing a bottle other than to interrupt and proc pinky finger?

    Huh?

    Did you just ignore my response?!

    On indoor maps, direct hits mid chase are very important. Has nothing to do with RHPF.

  • @WiiFitTrainer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1941796#Comment_1941796

    So I'm a looong time forum lurker, first time poster, and I too always see OP say how good clown is. But I don't see where he provides specific examples other than something along the lines of "he's good trust me I have experience".

    I also would be very interested to see game play from OP with clown.

    I provide explanations

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1941796#Comment_1941796

    Fact: a person can play video games without feeling obligated to jump on twitch and YouTube.

    I’m just not the kind of person that particularly likes doing that. I just wanna play my games.

    That's fine, I understand. There's just a lot of people (myself included) that don't agree that clown is as consistently good as you claim he is and would like to see some gameplay from you to demonstrate.

  • @TWiXT said:

    I'm completely with OP on this point. standard/bad clown players play him thinking about the immediate and simple terms "bottle = slow down = hit survivor with bottle = profit" whereas good clown players see a loop a survivor is headed to and immediately think "slow down bottles make survivors avoid where I throw them, and speed bottles allow me to catch up quick" and proceed to zone the survivors to make them run away from otherwise safe loops. The mind games Clown can play with most decent or good survivors typically earns him more downs and kills, but only for those thinking 2 steps ahead of the survivors. In the right hands, clown can be significantly formidable, in the average players hands however, he's trash, but that fault lies with the players... not the design.

    Thank you.

    As survivor, as rare as it is to go against Clown, I’ve only ever been against ONE excellent one that actually knew what they were doing.

    All other Clowns were making the same mistakes over and over and over again, subsequently getting stomped, or at best getting ONE kill.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1941796#Comment_1941796

    Fact: a person can play video games without feeling obligated to jump on twitch and YouTube.

    I’m just not the kind of person that particularly likes doing that. I just wanna play my games.

    I don't see the issue? All you have to do is hit the record feature on the ps5/xbox and then upload it for us to see what you do as clown. You can even upload it from the console.

  • @ManInaPickle said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1941944#Comment_1941944

    I don't see the issue? All you have to do is hit the record feature on the ps5/xbox and then upload it for us to see what you do as clown. You can even upload it from the console.

    Not directly to a forum. It’s either very short clips to Twitter or YouTube.

    I don’t want a YouTube account

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1941991#Comment_1941991

    It's going to be hard to convince a player who needs to see what your matches are like. Because if you make a claim that majority of players disagree with and then provide no footage then they're just not going to believe you. You need to show us footage so we can see if the survivors are bad, did the RNG work in your favor, and other factors, or you actually have some hidden gameplay which makes Clown tournament viable tier. (Not happening)

    This is also my point I was trying to get across. All these posts from OP about clown being secretly extremely good need proof because most people's experience with clown (even popular streamers) conclude that he is bottom tier even when played expertly.


    Edit: for clarification I'm talking about doing well with Clown in red ranks with surviors who know what they're doing. It's easy to stomp low rank or inexperienced players with any killer (even clown).

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1941991#Comment_1941991

    It's going to be hard to convince a player who needs to see what your matches are like. Because if you make a claim that majority of players disagree with and then provide no footage then they're just not going to believe you. You need to show us footage so we can see if the survivors are bad, did the RNG work in your favor, and other factors, or you actually have some hidden gameplay which makes Clown tournament viable tier. (Not happening)

    I’m far too old to be investing any time or emotional weight into proving myself to anyone here.

    I simply provide my insight and expertise on how others can improve their ability to play Clown if they do choose to take what I provide on board.

    If they don’t, fine. If you don’t, fine. In this instance I’m simply expressing how Clown isn’t weak. He’s just not a killer for everyone, just like many killers won’t be for everyone due to either skill limitations or limitations in abstract thinking.

    I’m not here for popularity or clout. And I’m ok with that. I just want to help any who are interested in reading whatever I have to post about.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1941998#Comment_1941998

    I’m far too old to be investing any time or emotional weight into proving myself to anyone here.

    I simply provide my insight and expertise on how others can improve their ability to play Clown if they do choose to take what I provide on board.

    If they don’t, fine. If you don’t, fine. In this instance I’m simply expressing how Clown isn’t weak. He’s just not a killer for everyone, just like many killers won’t be for everyone due to either skill limitations or limitations in abstract thinking.

    I’m not here for popularity or clout. And I’m ok with that. I just want to help any who are interested in reading whatever I have to post about.

    You can help us understand clown better by uploading a good game you had playing as him. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, but it would help your argument immensely if you had proof of your claims. Otherwise you're going to have more and more disbelievers in your posts which ultimately won't help anyone looking for good clown advice.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1941905#Comment_1941905

    Thank you.

    As survivor, as rare as it is to go against Clown, I’ve only ever been against ONE excellent one that actually knew what they were doing.

    All other Clowns were making the same mistakes over and over and over again, subsequently getting stomped, or at best getting ONE kill.

    TBF... You are undoubtedly this forums poster child/boy/girl for everything Clown related as you've so passionately devoted time and effort into maining Clown. While Others bemoan your advice, not many seem to understand that said advice is coming from a Pro Clown Player, and that your criticisms/advices carries the weight of every round you've played, loss or win. This is exactly why I appreciate any advice you give, and through my own experience with or against clown, take to heart.

    Hell, Doctor was my main for almost 2 years... basically since he came out, and was heavily underpowered, and I still tried my hardest to advise players of his best builds and tactics to no avail. Since he's received his rework, I've moved on to another killer: Plague, and while no one listens to me, I've mained her for over a year and feel I know what I'm talking about, but still, no one listens.

    TBH, I don't really care anymore... I give great advice on how to play her effectively, but if no one listens... no survivors will ever adapt... which means easy wins for me! I would suggest you take that ideal in the same light, because no matter how much you try to help them... survivors/killers won't listen. But I know you... you fight the good fight, and pray people will pay attention, So for theirs and your sake I'll just say this to the community:

    Attention all community Dumbasses!

    You realize that you are receiving wisdom from the quintessential CLOWN main of DbD? Take their words to heart. Don't bemoan, belittle or berate. This is an individual who has devoted more time and effort into the Clown than most of you have playing survivor or killer combined! I won't say their logic is without flaw or bias, but I will point out what should be the most obvious at this point... They are WINNING more often then losing with their builds or strategy!

    If you don't want to accept advice from someone like this... then you truly are Dumbasses!

  • @TWiXT said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1941972#Comment_1941972

    TBF... You are undoubtedly this forums poster child/boy/girl for everything Clown related as you've so passionately devoted time and effort into maining Clown. While Others bemoan your advice, not many seem to understand that said advice is coming from a Pro Clown Player, and that your criticisms/advices carries the weight of every round you've played, loss or win. This is exactly why I appreciate any advice you give, and through my own experience with or against clown, take to heart.

    Hell, Doctor was my main for almost 2 years... basically since he came out, and was heavily underpowered, and I still tried my hardest to advise players of his best builds and tactics to no avail. Since he's received his rework, I've moved on to another killer: Plague, and while no one listens to me, I've mained her for over a year and feel I know what I'm talking about, but still, no one listens.

    TBH, I don't really care anymore... I give great advice on how to play her effectively, but if no one listens... no survivors will ever adapt... which means easy wins for me! I would suggest you take that ideal in the same light, because no matter how much you try to help them... survivors/killers won't listen. But I know you... you fight the good fight, and pray people will pay attention, So for theirs and your sake I'll just say this to the community:

    Attention all community Dumbasses!

    You realize that you are receiving wisdom from the quintessential CLOWN main of DbD? Take their words to heart. Don't bemoan, belittle or berate. This is an individual who has devoted more time and effort into the Clown than most of you have playing survivor or killer combined! I won't say their logic is without flaw or bias, but I will point out what should be the most obvious at this point... They are WINNING more often then losing with their builds or strategy!

    If you don't want to accept advice from someone like this... then you truly are Dumbasses!

    I argued that mathematically the antidote clown uses barely makes a difference of 0.5- 1 second when used perfectly. TheClownIsKings answer to that is that could be the difference between a survivor getting hit or not (this is paraphrased). That's such a small miniscule difference but that's a difference in our opinions.


    My point is that there's a difference between offering advice, which I'd say TheClownIsKing does do and being a hype man for the most little of things, which he also tends to do. Like if the devs for whatever reason added a new killer with the ability to theoretically kill 2 survivors if the killer managed to do 3 frame perfect inputs within a span of 4 seconds and the survivors need to be at the perfect location then TheClownIsKing would be all over it. An exaggeration, I know. Most people usually don't disagree with his advice. They tend to disagree with how effective TheClownIsKing makes the advice sound.

  • @Terro said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1942336#Comment_1942336

    I argued that mathematically the antidote clown uses barely makes a difference of 0.5- 1 second when used perfectly. TheClownIsKings answer to that is that could be the difference between a survivor getting hit or not (this is paraphrased). That's such a small miniscule difference but that's a difference in our opinions.

    My point is that there's a difference between offering advice, which I'd say TheClownIsKing does do and being a hype man for the most little of things, which he also tends to do. Like if the devs for whatever reason added a new killer with the ability to theoretically kill 2 survivors if the killer managed to do 3 frame perfect inputs within a span of 4 seconds and the survivors need to be at the perfect location then TheClownIsKing would be all over it. An exaggeration, I know. Most people usually don't disagree with his advice. They tend to disagree with how effective TheClownIsKing makes the advice sound.

    Aaaand I will re-iterate... @TheClownIsKing is winning more rounds then they are losing with the advice they are freely giving to the community.

    While mathematically defending the Antidote bottles is undoubtedly flawed based on how very minor an advantage it gives, there's still much to be said when it comes to knowing a path vs. walking it. Something as insignificant as differences between mere milliseconds or meters per second may seem like nothing to those who analyze it on paper, but for those who actively practice what is laid out on those pages, it can mean the exact difference between life and death. 0.5 seconds in this game is what often determines whether or not a survivor is hit, or avoids being struck. so yeah... if it comes down to a matter of frames, I'm more inclined to believe the person who advises you to take advantage of them and gives you ideas of how to do so vs. the guy telling everyone that listening to them is negligible.

    I'm not sure if you've ever been in a guild in a MMORPG against a raid boss, but even if you have or not, you should know your teammates/guild members will almost literally tear you apart over messages/voice coms for mistiming your attacks at exactly the correct millisecond (pretty much why I stopped playing those games). I'm not saying DbD is the same in any way, but the killers role is always a race against time, and anything/any advice that can help you with your time management when taking on the killer roll, no matter how small, is worthwhile to consider and heavily appreciated.

    Technically Wraith got upgraded this patch with a 0.25 seconds upgrade to the time he spends accelerated after uncloaking, and many streamers who have tried him are overjoyed by this change. It's miniscule, yes, but makes all the difference between being able to hit a survivor, or not. Either way, they are actually feeling it, and overwhelmingly satisfied that he feels more powerful than before, but by your logic, this shouldn't make any difference at all to his viability, Despite the evidence to the contrary, so, With that in mind... Are you really sure that these small buffs to Clown are actually insignificant? Because to me, I'd rather take the advice of the expert who actively mains Clown on the matter, than someone who just speculated with what they've figured out on paper.

  • @TWiXT said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1942368#Comment_1942368

    Aaaand I will re-iterate... @TheClownIsKing is winning more rounds then they are losing with the advice they are freely giving to the community.

    While mathematically defending the Antidote bottles is undoubtedly flawed based on how very minor an advantage it gives, there's still much to be said when it comes to knowing a path vs. walking it. Something as insignificant as differences between mere milliseconds or meters per second may seem like nothing to those who analyze it on paper, but for those who actively practice what is laid out on those pages, it can mean the exact difference between life and death. 0.5 seconds in this game is what often determines whether or not a survivor is hit, or avoids being struck. so yeah... if it comes down to a matter of frames, I'm more inclined to believe the person who advises you to take advantage of them and gives you ideas of how to do so vs. the guy telling everyone that listening to them is negligible.

    I'm not sure if you've ever been in a guild in a MMORPG against a raid boss, but even if you have or not, you should know your teammates/guild members will almost literally tear you apart over messages/voice coms for mistiming your attacks at exactly the correct millisecond (pretty much why I stopped playing those games). I'm not saying DbD is the same in any way, but the killers role is always a race against time, and anything/any advice that can help you with your time management when taking on the killer roll, no matter how small, is worthwhile to consider and heavily appreciated.

    Technically Wraith got upgraded this patch with a 0.25 seconds upgrade to the time he spends accelerated after uncloaking, and many streamers who have tried him are overjoyed by this change. It's miniscule, yes, but makes all the difference between being able to hit a survivor, or not. Either way, they are actually feeling it, and overwhelmingly satisfied that he feels more powerful than before, but by your logic, this shouldn't make any difference at all to his viability, Despite the evidence to the contrary, so, With that in mind... Are you really sure that these small buffs to Clown are actually insignificant? Because to me, I'd rather take the advice of the expert who actively mains Clown on the matter, than someone who just speculated with what they've figured out on paper.

    Seconds count in this game, I agree. I think the point a lot of people are trying to make is that the stars basically need to align to get any benefit from the sonic tonic. It's way to situational for extremely little gain. You have to make a lot of guesses on the survivors pathing WAY ahead of time, and if they deviate just a little bit from your prediction, you waste a bottle. Or heaven forbid you throw the sonic Tonic to early or late, again because seconds do count in this game.

    This is why a lot of people are questioning OP when he posts about clown being signifantly stronger than accepted by the majority of players. If the most popular streamers in DbD cant figure out clowns supposed hidden strengths after thousands of hours of paid gameplay, I'm skeptical they exist.

    Again, as several other commenters have suggested, some gameplay from the clown expert would back up his claims as well as help the community at large play him better.

  • @TWiXT said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1942368#Comment_1942368

    Aaaand I will re-iterate... @TheClownIsKing is winning more rounds then they are losing with the advice they are freely giving to the community.

    While mathematically defending the Antidote bottles is undoubtedly flawed based on how very minor an advantage it gives, there's still much to be said when it comes to knowing a path vs. walking it. Something as insignificant as differences between mere milliseconds or meters per second may seem like nothing to those who analyze it on paper, but for those who actively practice what is laid out on those pages, it can mean the exact difference between life and death. 0.5 seconds in this game is what often determines whether or not a survivor is hit, or avoids being struck. so yeah... if it comes down to a matter of frames, I'm more inclined to believe the person who advises you to take advantage of them and gives you ideas of how to do so vs. the guy telling everyone that listening to them is negligible.

    I'm not sure if you've ever been in a guild in a MMORPG against a raid boss, but even if you have or not, you should know your teammates/guild members will almost literally tear you apart over messages/voice coms for mistiming your attacks at exactly the correct millisecond (pretty much why I stopped playing those games). I'm not saying DbD is the same in any way, but the killers role is always a race against time, and anything/any advice that can help you with your time management when taking on the killer roll, no matter how small, is worthwhile to consider and heavily appreciated.

    Technically Wraith got upgraded this patch with a 0.25 seconds upgrade to the time he spends accelerated after uncloaking, and many streamers who have tried him are overjoyed by this change. It's miniscule, yes, but makes all the difference between being able to hit a survivor, or not. Either way, they are actually feeling it, and overwhelmingly satisfied that he feels more powerful than before, but by your logic, this shouldn't make any difference at all to his viability, Despite the evidence to the contrary, so, With that in mind... Are you really sure that these small buffs to Clown are actually insignificant? Because to me, I'd rather take the advice of the expert who actively mains Clown on the matter, than someone who just speculated with what they've figured out on paper.

    Double post oops

  • I'm personally very happy with the clown rework and i find him a blast to play now. It added so much depth to his kit now.

    I also believe the clown is way better then people give him credit

    Some things to clear up maybe. Nobody here is argueing that clown is the next nurse or spirit. We are saying he's not weak. we are not saying he's the strongest thing in this game

    People asking for video evidence is a moot point for this community. Show any video of you doing well and you'll just get the "the survivors were just bad" excuse. Not realising that when you do good as killer you make the survivors look bad.

    After playing with him more and doing some math on the sonic tonic Clown is very much a threat now if the player knows how to use him. He will probably fall slightly below deathslinger in terms of power. very strong chase power. little to no map pressure.

    Clown needs you to perform well and do so as soon as possible. He's quite unfriendly to learn because messing up means not getting downs means not getting pressure. And i guess that's why people say he's so bad.

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    I'm personally very happy with the clown rework and i find him a blast to play now. It added so much depth to his kit now.

    I also believe the clown is way better then people give him credit

    Some things to clear up maybe. Nobody here is argueing that clown is the next nurse or spirit. We are saying he's not weak. we are not saying he's the strongest thing in this game

    People asking for video evidence is a moot point for this community. Show any video of you doing well and you'll just get the "the survivors were just bad" excuse. Not realising that when you do good as killer you make the survivors look bad.

    After playing with him more and doing some math on the sonic tonic Clown is very much a threat now if the player knows how to use him. He will probably fall slightly below deathslinger in terms of power. very strong chase power. little to no map pressure.

    Clown needs you to perform well and do so as soon as possible. He's quite unfriendly to learn because messing up means not getting downs means not getting pressure. And i guess that's why people say he's so bad.

    Correction: “tHoSe sUrVivOrS wErE pOtAtOeS!”

1 2 ›