Totems should be reworked to be full on secondary objectives without the use of hex perks
You might say that hex totems already are, but that is fully dependent on what the killer does and is not guaranteed especially for NOED. NOED is technically a secondary objective, but the killer shouldn't have to run a perk that creates one. I think that killers should just in general have a side thing to do that can benefit both survivors and killer.
Because of the way the maps are RNG and random. You could have a totem that is never found safely tucked behind bushes, or you can have a totem that is literally on top of a hill or in the open why is this a thing?
Because totem spawns are so inconsistent, it makes many people never run them because they will just lose them immediately. You might also say that they are high-risk high-reward perks, but what is the point if they are so incredibly inconsistent that by the time you start to activate the perk, it just destroyed and then you have 3 perks for the rest of the game? Or what if a killer gets 5 stacks of devour hope but it is in such a good hiding spot that the survivors can't find it. It can be very lame for either side and needs to be consistent and fair for both sides. Hexes need to be changed to work differently just like normal totems.
I believe that totems at base should give some sort of benefit to either side and for hex totems to be changed with it. The hex perks will still do the same thing (probably) but placement and cleansing would work differently.
How should totems and hex perks be reworked? I have no idea, but I really think that they should.
Comments
No matter what people are going to learn totem spawns and they will be dealt with quickly. If they are hidden too well they become a nuisance to newer players.
I would like totems to be more important though. Maybe the killer powers up slightly with every totem not cleansed per gen done?
I know that people are going to learn totem spawns, but if they all had to be cleansed for the effects to go away (whatever they may or could be) then it would not be that bad. The problem with the hex totems is that once you find them it is gone in about 12 seconds. If they had a passive effect of increased movement speed while any totem is still up, it wouldn't be super powerful and still manageable.
As for what the totems do I still have no idea, but I bet there is an effect.
I literally don't even run hex perks anymore because of this exact issue.
Something i have always thought of is to do one of two things (or both even)
1)
2)
In either case, give survivors a totem counter as part of the UI.