Why I think perk tiers are a good thing.
Maybe it's just personal preference but anyways there are numerous perks that I think are better on tier 1 or 2 than 3.
One example of a perk that I keep at tier 2 and why:
- Whispers tier 2: It activates in a 40m radius (tier 3 = 32m radius). As a result I gain map awareness MUCH more quickly particularly on big maps but at the same time it's not too big of an activation radius like tier 1 (48 meters).
Many generators have line of sight blockers and are very spread out so getting informed whether a generator is being worked on behind that wall in the distancd at 40m of distance allows you to skip or check gens more efficiently saving a lot of time on bigger maps.
One situation I had earlier was Ormond. I wanted to know if someone was working on the gen in the killer shack throughout the match.
I barely had to move away from the main building. The second I moved to the shack Tier2 Whispers activated and there was no other gen around so I figured it will be a good call to check killer shack.
And what a surprise! An injured survivor was working on that gen resulting in a quick hook.
There are numerous (other) perks that I prefer on tier 1 or 2 for different reasons.
What about you ? Is there any perk that you think has benefits on tier 1/2 over 3 ?
Comments
I disagree with you about whispers but I guess it is how you use it, I don't use whispers T2 at all, 40 is too much to find, I respect your opinion I just prefer T3 since I know how to use it personally.
I think at that point you would be better off with BBQ/thrilling if you use find whispers T2 better in that way. Same goes for almost all the other perks, lower tiers then 3 that "might" be better then their T3 usually get rewokred to have the T3 be the best option either way.
I'd rather if devs just removed tiers to lessen the grind for newer players then keep several niche perks that are possibly better at lower tier.
I would never use whispers at anything other than tier 3 because it gives you a much more precise location to search.
I can’t think of any perk I would keep at tier 1/2. The tiers only extend the ridiculous grind on new killers/survivors. I dropped like 3-4 million BP or so into the twins and I still don’t have the perks I want
The thing that makes Whispers more enjoyable than let's say BBQ/Thrilling is its effect can not be countered.
I think it's mostly information perks that I tend to prefer on lower tiers.
Infectious Fright is another example:
Tier 1 reveals the survivor location for 4 seconds instead of 6 (tier 3).
If the bubble is only visible for 4 seconds it is more likely that the survivor will be very near the bubble.
2 more seconds (tier 3) gives the survivor a little more room to sneak away from the location bubble.
I can't think of any perkt that's better at lower tiers.
Perk tiers are just outdated imo.
The only thing they do is making it extremely hard for newer players.
I guess it's how you use them
Discordance t1 used to be the best
Yupp that's true. Tier 3 is more useful when it comes to finding survivors if that's how you want to use Whispers.
Tier 2 Whispers however seems better when it comes to monitoring gens and combined with a tracking perk like Spies (I'm currently testing that combo) you just always know what survivors are up to.
I know that doesn't sound meta at all but I really had some crazy good matches with that combo today. Always knew what gens they wanted and consistently found them via Spies From The Shadows as tier 2 Whispers (40m) synergizes with Spies radius (36m).
I guess I don’t see why you would be using spies and whispers to track generators instead of using dedicated gen tracking perks like surveillance/ tinkerer / discordance/ etc.
I use whispers to get into my first chase quickly, not nearly so much to find people working on gens
Not anymore though ☻
I never bought the SAW chapter so Surveillance is not an option. Tinkerer or Discordance is obviously a good alternative but they've got their drawbacks as well.
If people do gens separately you're not getting any value from Discordance (I used to run it but dropped the perk after a while as I felt like people would split up way too frequently whenever they noticed I had it).
And Tinkerer... Well... It would often activate when I wasn't close enough to defend the gen making it kinda meh. I still like it on Bubba, though.
I'm currently trying to master Pyramid Head however so Tinkerer doesn't feel all that useful. I may get a hit if I'm lucky and close enough but they will usually still pop that gen in my face and get away.
Well I like tinkerer mainly on one shot killers, or with ruin undying but that’s going away so I guess it’s going to be pop soon.
It’s good with discordance so you are notified of a gen stack and can start moving to it before the tinkerer actually procs. With just tinkerer you won’t make it in time without being a high mobility killer.
One of my favorite Bubba builds is tinkerer / pop / agitation / bamboozle. When it works, it really works. You run up to the tinkerer gen, saw them, then rush over to the hook and pop the gen for another tinkerer proc. And the agitation gives some good basement threat. I just refuse to take bamboozle off Bubba so that’s a perma slot.
Surveillance 1
8 seconds v 12 seconds
Make your choice is really good for Hag, Demo
30sec is enough since they instantly go back to the hook. Timer quick reset -> Make your choice active more