Is today's PTB the end of the custom icon community?

Hi everyone.


For those that don't know, I am Thatbrownmonster, the creator of the community of r/PerkByDaylight, a community dedicated to sharing custom icons for perks, portraits, status icons and more.

With today's update I was questioned what would happen to custom icons, since today's PTB brings a new HUD, that disables any icon from appearing in-game. You are still able to see the icons in the lobby from what I understand.

Custom Icons in Dead By Daylight are in a situation of "use at your own risk" where users can still be banned from using them however.

I am writing this post with the hope to get an official statement from the developers to know what will happen to this part of the community, will it be really the end of it? Or is it still possible to use icons after the update comes out.

Or maybe we can have a workshop soo it's easier and there is more control on what the players change the icons to.


Thank you for reading.

Thatbrownmonster

Comments

  • Yes or no, I feel this person deserves an answer.

  • Is this something console can do too, or only PC?

  • The short answer is they probably don't care because they can't monetize it or control it.

  • Probably an unintended consequence, but knowing BHVR it could also be on purpose.

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    Is this something console can do too, or only PC?

    From what i know only pc Players can use custom icons

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    Is this something console can do too, or only PC?

    No, if you cannot modify your game files you cannot do it.

  • I hope not. I envy PC for having custom perk icons. Personally I want different perk icon colors back like green and pink.

  • @MongolPSR said:

    The short answer is they probably don't care because they can't monetize it or control it.

    They could technically monetize it, if you think about it. All they would have to do is work with this part of the community to put it into the game and cell it to players for a small price. Part of the profit goes to the perk community for their hard work.

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1868731#Comment_1868731

    They could technically monetize it, if you think about it. All they would have to do is work with this part of the community to put it into the game and cell it to players for a small price. Part of the profit goes to the perk community for their hard work.

    Yeah that didn't go well for Bethesda and it sure as hell won't go well with BHVR

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    Is this something console can do too, or only PC?

    Not that I am aware of.

    @EvanSnowWolf said:

    Yes or no, I feel this person deserves an answer.

    I am unsure if the developers will indeed give an answer since saying that custom icons are allow opens the doors to the risk of them "allowing" people to change files they shouldn't.

    At the moment using custom icons still has a chance of getting detected by the easy anti cheat detector and neither the developers or EAC will unban you.

  • @MongolPSR said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1868767#Comment_1868767

    Yeah that didn't go well for Bethesda and it sure as hell won't go well with BHVR

    Even if you could pay with shards or auric cells, I wouldn't be in favor of it, unless there is some legal obligation since you can change the icons of famous licenses

  • I’d imagine yes, since custom icons where never supported, but idc im on console so oh well.

  • I doubt that the new UI will affect custom perk icons. As long as you can still access and modify the icon folder I don't think that there should be an issue.

  • If there's a will there's a way. Also the perk icons seem bugged in game right now.

  • Man I really hope it won't effect Custom Perk icons. I've been playing with custom icons for so long, it feels really wrong to play with the normal stuff.

  • @Parallax said:

    I doubt that the new UI will affect custom perk icons. As long as you can still access and modify the icon folder I don't think that there should be an issue.

    The way you change icons has changed some updates ago, making it harder for anyone to do so but still possible. People in this ptb are unable to see any custom icons no matter what because of the new updated hud, which might be the end of custom icons, even though you can still see them in lobby.

    @Mr_K said:

    If there's a will there's a way. Also the perk icons seem bugged in game right now.

    Bugged how?

  • @Thatbrownmonster said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1872340#Comment_1872340

    The way you change icons has changed some updates ago, making it harder for anyone to do so but still possible. People in this ptb are unable to see any custom icons no matter what because of the new updated hud, which might be the end of custom icons, even though you can still see them in lobby.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1872367#Comment_1872367

    Bugged how?

    Have you noticed that perks stay highlighted? Like Iron Will while not injured.

  • I think this will just encourage modders to make custom HUDs, this feels like a step back in displaying important information.

    Trial and error and all that but sometimes your trial ends up being such an error that you actually encourage third party support to make something way better, you either end up buying their concept to make it official or you make it so that people can customize it to their liking, either way is a win-win tbh.

  • @Mr_K said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1874315#Comment_1874315

    Have you noticed that perks stay highlighted? Like Iron Will while not injured.

    No I did not, maybe it's a bug due to the new upscale definitions

  • The icons are available, but portraits seem to have been hidden inside the executable now. I think there are programs you can use to change them out but I'm worried what might happen in the long run. it will be interesting to see what is going on.