Why Does Decisive Strike have a Skill Check?

I never really questioned it until now... but why does a survivor need to dedicate an entire perk slot to a single-use perk designed to protect them from a once-every-ten-games killer hell-bent on quickly removing them from the game (or teammates who failed to unhook you safely) AND need to hit a skill check to see value from said perk?

I know DS is a hotly debated perk (particularly for the way survivor's use it offensively), but it seems a bit unusual to include a Risk/Reward system on a perk designed to save them from events that are completely out of their control.

Comments

  • Probably the make it less of a crutch on low ranks?

  • As Killer main, I would trade you the skill check for a reduced active time. I always go after the one unhooking, and I couldn't count how many times I got DS'ed from randomly stumbling on the person I downed later or they take a protection hit.

    It is also a minor nuisance when I down the last survivor and we both have to wait a minute for my cellphone timer because I feel there's a chance the survivor has DS.

  • It's a perk. Why should perks be free? Why should you be able to get out of a killer's hands without trying while the killer has to try and keep you from DSing them? It doesn't seem fair to me, and thus is why I dont play this game anymore. Ive only ever played on ps4, and mostly as survivor and noticed the imbalance.

  • DS is arguably one of the single strongest perks in the game with an insanely powerful effect that can be used very aggressively to gain a hell of a lot of pressure. That is a lot of positive things, so I guess the downsides are that it only lasts for 60 seconds and that it has a relatively easy skillcheck.

    It's not much of a downside, but it seems to exists so that people can point to it and say that it's a downside. And if it sounds like I'm biased then I'll also add that I'd rather DS in its current state than a version of DS that was inneffective agasint casual tunneling.

  • DS shouldn't activate if you don't have an item. That way, Franklin's is a direct counter. Look at the icon, it's a glass shard in her hand.

  • Oh god forbid there is any level of tiny skill for an ability that is so terribly abused and rewards lack of.

    Supposed to be anti-tunnel, but if that's true, it should expire twice as fast (not work in lockers, and not work in exit gate).

  • There are many bad mechanics that are in this game.

    Skill checks are one of them. I hate anything that even remotely resembles QTE with a passion. I get why we need skill checks though to approximate the chance of goofing up, and many killer perks and abilities focus on messing up your skill checks.

    But for DS this really didn't need to be the case. Struggling and wiggling is also ridiculous.