I feel like the devs rely too much on perks to fix issues in the game

Everybody hates being tunneled and camped. Tunneling sucks because you'll only be in chase until you're out of the match, unless your teammates decide to take some hits to give you a chance to hide.

Camping sucks because you'll be deprived of your interaction with the match because the killer decided he didn't like you, or they simply don't know any better because they're new. Even if you're rescued you could be tunneled, or your teammate hook switched, leading to another cycle of camp or tunnel. That is unless the killer feels honorable, or has perks that encourage them to leave the hook.

Either way, you have to use perks to have a much higher chance at countering these. But, even if you use these, it isn't guaranteed to work. A killer can simply power through a DS if he really wanted to tunnel. Same goes for camping, but with BT.

Both of those killer tactics ( the reason I call camping a tactic is because it's only useful if survivors swarm the hook ) deprive survivors of full interaction In the match.


On the flip side, killers need to bring perks in order to make up for areas where the game has shortcomings.

For generator damaging to be good, you need to bring PGTW. Because the base regression is so slow, with survivors able to tap it stop it from it's already abysmal rate.

Thanat and ruin reward you for applying pressure on the survivors, while one slows the interaction speeds, and the other regresses gens when no one interacts with them. Causing the match to slow down by taking away progress.

One aspect of the game that's contraversial right now is undying. Which covers for bad totem RNG, which arguably happens more often on reworked maps. Although even old ones have their fair share of questionable spots ( Still have 'nam flashbacks of my devour hope appearing in the worst totem spawn in disturbed ward ) I get that totems need bad spots to add risk to them, but some of the spawns are just laughable.

There's one spot in particular I find funny on new autohaven. It's the one where the totem is on top of the hill, essentially acting as a beacon if it's a hex.

But anyway, for both sides there are perks to cover for the games shortcomings. But why don't the devs add base game protection for tunneling or camping? Or add in the early game slowdown mechanic we haven't heard of in ages?

If those aspects of the base game were reworked, then perk slots could be freed up to allow you to bring in other perks. Giving more perk diversity without handicapping your build because you didn't bring the perks that cover for those dated aspects of the game.

I feel it would make the game healthier as a whole if there were base game protection from those two scummy tactics. As well as balancing the speed of a match, either through adding the early game slowdown, or through a numbers tweak.

Give your thoughts on this, and please keep it civil, and on topic.

Comments

  • Along with what you've said, I think another major issue are these "fog whisperers". I don't know how much these streamers paid to get included but it's a terrible set up. I think they became a thing sometime in 2018. Since then the buffs, nerfs, reworks, abandoning holiday themed events, have mostly occurred since then. I don't know if Monto is one of them, but he's definitely part of the community problem. He has a huge following but is just as toxic of a player as Ochido was.

    Hybridpanda, bless him he's had a really tough year and I'm glad to see him begin recovering, was instrumental in getting the original Mettle of Man nerfed. He certainly wasn't alone but if you go back and watch his videos from April-June 2019 he makes constant complaints about it while also showcasing it wasn't as strong as some thought it was.

    The devs aren't listening to the 500, 1,000, 2,000 or 5,000 hour regular players. They seem to be listening to their hand picked streamers and casual players.

  • Welp, nevermind, it got moved to feedback.

  • @kaijudane said:

    Along with what you've said, I think another major issue are these "fog whisperers". I don't know how much these streamers paid to get included but it's a terrible set up. I think they became a thing sometime in 2018. Since then the buffs, nerfs, reworks, abandoning holiday themed events, have mostly occurred since then. I don't know if Monto is one of them, but he's definitely part of the community problem. He has a huge following but is just as toxic of a player as Ochido was.

    Hybridpanda, bless him he's had a really tough year and I'm glad to see him begin recovering, was instrumental in getting the original Mettle of Man nerfed. He certainly wasn't alone but if you go back and watch his videos from April-June 2019 he makes constant complaints about it while also showcasing it wasn't as strong as some thought it was.

    The devs aren't listening to the 500, 1,000, 2,000 or 5,000 hour regular players. They seem to be listening to their hand picked streamers and casual players.

    Yes some streamers are really toxic as survivor or killer. It's a bad exemple for the community, especially when they have 500+ viewers...

    What a shame that BHVR is paying those guys that bring more and more toxicity to the game.