Drops and penalties

I've been disconnected three times today in 1 hour of game play. It is not my internet because I am listening to a streaming audio book while I play and I never lose internet connection. This is getting annoying because I get long penalties for something I did not do.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Could we just make all disconnect penalties like one minute for a time until they fix the issues on the server side?

Comments

  • @slowbeice said:

    I dont see any issues with the servers today, and no they wont be changing the penalty system because someone had an internet error.

    Perhaps listening to audio books is drawing from your bandwidth and causing you issues.

    Nope, not an issue on my end. Streaming audiobooks does not effect gameplay; that is not how the internet works.

  • Sounds like an unstable connection, try some ping tests like Fast.com or Ping Plotter.

  • @DawnMad said:

    Sounds like an unstable connection, try some ping tests like Fast.com or Ping Plotter.

    Thanks, I will try these again. Initial tests show my connection is strong and fine with no drops.

  • Are you streaming the book on the same device that you are playing on? If it's the same device, the audiobook could actually be buffering, so you wouldn't notice a drop. Try streaming a live broadcast on the same device that you are playing on and see what happens.

  • @apathyinc said:

    Are you streaming the book on the same device that you are playing on? If it's the same device, the audiobook could actually be buffering, so you wouldn't notice a drop. Try streaming a live broadcast on the same device that you are playing on and see what happens.

    will do

  • @stvnhthr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1855823#Comment_1855823

    Nope, not an issue on my end. Streaming audiobooks does not effect gameplay; that is not how the internet works.

    you are the one that does not know how the internet works. wow... if you have a tunnel that is 5 meters in diameter and try to force 6 meters in diameter through it because only 5 meters will go through, you'll either loose something from one or the other, or your connection might drop completely. running a ping test without everything else you have running in the background however it will tell you what the conditions that you have AT the time of the test are and what your latency at that specific time is, not what it was 10 minutes before nor one minute after.

    You have no idea how the internet works because your audio book could be sourcing from a network that has ONE common device as the one for dbd and that being your router. and there could be a drop between your router and dbd's game servers, and that is why dbd dropped but your audio book did not. Also your audio book (assuming audible) is downloading to your device as you listen to it so it will not stop even if you completely lost your internet because there is extra on your device before it lost connection or all of it had already downloaded.

    This is why the penalties will not change (per the devs) because if you're having a bad connection day, you best relax and perhaps do something else for once. there isn't anything pressing in game right now tbh. my connection to dbd today has been great so i can say you are having some other issue.

    oh yea there are a great many more issues i can come up with that can cause you connection issues to ONE thing and not another.

  • @Freki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1855840#Comment_1855840

    you are the one that does not know how the internet works. wow... if you have a tunnel that is 5 meters in diameter and try to force 6 meters in diameter through it because only 5 meters will go through, you'll either loose something from one or the other, or your connection might drop completely. running a ping test without everything else you have running in the background however it will tell you what the conditions that you have AT the time of the test are and what your latency at that specific time is, not what it was 10 minutes before nor one minute after.

    You have no idea how the internet works because your audio book could be sourcing from a network that has ONE common device as the one for dbd and that being your router. and there could be a drop between your router and dbd's game servers, and that is why dbd dropped but your audio book did not. Also your audio book (assuming audible) is downloading to your device as you listen to it so it will not stop even if you completely lost your internet because there is extra on your device before it lost connection or all of it had already downloaded.

    This is why the penalties will not change (per the devs) because if you're having a bad connection day, you best relax and perhaps do something else for once. there isn't anything pressing in game right now tbh. my connection to dbd today has been great so i can say you are having some other issue.

    oh yea there are a great many more issues i can come up with that can cause you connection issues to ONE thing and not another.

    Yes, if I had incredibly old internet from the 90's this would be relevant. I have high speed internet which never comes close to maxing out its limits. Audiobooks use very little for streaming, it would also effect other online apps all which maintain their connection. So I am sorry to imply you do not know how all internet works, you just do not know how big my bandwidth is. Since others are having the same problem we can assume it is not just on my end. My original point is since the dc penalties are effecting folks who do not DC the penalties should be adjusted. Right now they are punishing folks who do not rage quit but can do nothing to change the problem from a consumer level.

  • @stvnhthr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1867295#Comment_1867295

    Yes, if I had incredibly old internet from the 90's this would be relevant. I have high speed internet which never comes close to maxing out its limits. Audiobooks use very little for streaming, it would also effect other online apps all which maintain their connection. So I am sorry to imply you do not know how all internet works, you just do not know how big my bandwidth is. Since others are having the same problem we can assume it is not just on my end. My original point is since the dc penalties are effecting folks who do not DC the penalties should be adjusted. Right now they are punishing folks who do not rage quit but can do nothing to change the problem from a consumer level.

    He was not specifically talking about bandwidth to your computer. Not only are there a lot of factors on your own system (including your router) that could cause problems, there are numerous hops between your computer and the dbd servers that can also be potential points of failure. Yes, some other people may also have problems, but most do not. It could be that they are all going through the same faulty router, that is dropping packets. Also, how many of those "claiming" to not be deliberately disconnecting are actually lying to try and get the penalty removed? We don't know. What we do know is that people disconnecting from the game hurts the remaining players. The penalty needs to remain in place.

  • @stvnhthr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1867295#Comment_1867295

    Yes, if I had incredibly old internet from the 90's this would be relevant. I have high speed internet which never comes close to maxing out its limits. Audiobooks use very little for streaming, it would also effect other online apps all which maintain their connection. So I am sorry to imply you do not know how all internet works, you just do not know how big my bandwidth is. Since others are having the same problem we can assume it is not just on my end. My original point is since the dc penalties are effecting folks who do not DC the penalties should be adjusted. Right now they are punishing folks who do not rage quit but can do nothing to change the problem from a consumer level.

    you are so full of yourself. I have 1 gig up and down, and have only had an issue when i lost power, or steam shuts down. when people are telling me that it has to be the server at dbd's end I ask them why then did I have no issue. I will give you ONE potential issue that could cause what you described and it's not something they can determine unless they have someone examining the data logs for several days. this shows that you can loose connection to dbd but maintain other connections. If you want to tell me what I do for a JOB and have been working with long before the internet EXISTED with dialup networks, you can live in ignorance.

    internet issue.png

    This is just a straight one easy posibility. the internet is much more than you being connected to everyone with the same direction you go. lol use the commands tracert and you will see that different places take different routes!

  • @Freki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1870201#Comment_1870201

    you are so full of yourself. I have 1 gig up and down, and have only had an issue when i lost power, or steam shuts down. when people are telling me that it has to be the server at dbd's end I ask them why then did I have no issue. I will give you ONE potential issue that could cause what you described and it's not something they can determine unless they have someone examining the data logs for several days. this shows that you can loose connection to dbd but maintain other connections. If you want to tell me what I do for a JOB and have been working with long before the internet EXISTED with dialup networks, you can live in ignorance.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/PQH4NADRAKYV/internet-issue.png

    This is just a straight one easy posibility. the internet is much more than you being connected to everyone with the same direction you go. lol use the commands tracert and you will see that different places take different routes!

    You have offered one possible problem which justifies my original post and illustrates the point I was making, thank you. DC penalties are for punishing players who intentionally disconnect. It should not penalize players who live in a world with an imperfect internet structure. It would be really easy to fix. To DC you have to select "leave current trial," this is disconnecting. A player who does not dc should not be penalized.

  • @stvnhthr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1870491#Comment_1870491

    You have offered one possible problem which justifies my original post and illustrates the point I was making, thank you. DC penalties are for punishing players who intentionally disconnect. It should not penalize players who live in a world with an imperfect internet structure. It would be really easy to fix. To DC you have to select "leave current trial," this is disconnecting. A player who does not dc should not be penalized.

    so you now think i know how the internet works? yes it does possibly punish people for things out of their control, but what you don't take into account is the year and a half of abuse that was done and thus making this necessary. ALSO there is a ticket option on support to discuss and have them evaluate things here. problem is internet issues is rare but possible, and many times there are other issues here and one drop here usually only results in a 5-10 minute issue no sweat according to people that DC all the time like you indicate you are all in favor of. Now the thing is this type of disconnection is impossible to detect for all but the BEST automated systems. You insulted me then tell me that I illustrated YOUR position? no your position is that all the internet issues are at dbd's server and they need to fix their system and drop the penalty system which I do not support even with the possible issue i illustrated. No you can not use this on your crusade to allow people to disconnect willy nilly. I still see it but in reduced numbers so that is good. If you even took the time to learn what they have in place you'd have known you can submit a ticket to review disconnections in your case. I don't know what they can do but it's there.

  • @Freki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1873997#Comment_1873997

    so you now think i know how the internet works? yes it does possibly punish people for things out of their control, but what you don't take into account is the year and a half of abuse that was done and thus making this necessary. ALSO there is a ticket option on support to discuss and have them evaluate things here. problem is internet issues is rare but possible, and many times there are other issues here and one drop here usually only results in a 5-10 minute issue no sweat according to people that DC all the time like you indicate you are all in favor of. Now the thing is this type of disconnection is impossible to detect for all but the BEST automated systems. You insulted me then tell me that I illustrated YOUR position? no your position is that all the internet issues are at dbd's server and they need to fix their system and drop the penalty system which I do not support even with the possible issue i illustrated. No you can not use this on your crusade to allow people to disconnect willy nilly. I still see it but in reduced numbers so that is good. If you even took the time to learn what they have in place you'd have known you can submit a ticket to review disconnections in your case. I don't know what they can do but it's there.

    You initially disagreed with me and then finally posted a confirmation of my original post. So I think the problem is you were a bit quick to disagree when you actually agreed with me.

    Today it happened again. The game loaded to only the backdrop of the fire ring and crows, so I restarted and got a dc ban. The penalties are supposed to be for folks who abuse the ability to disconnect from a trial. It is not supposed to punish players who do not dc; it currently punishes players who play (I assume) just like you. We just want to play but constantly get penalties for dcing even though we did not. I would like to see that fixed or a workable solution for those who do not disconnect and get penalized anyways.

    Oh and reporting it to Behavior is a joke, they do nothing.

  • @stvnhthr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1874019#Comment_1874019

    You initially disagreed with me and then finally posted a confirmation of my original post. So I think the problem is you were a bit quick to disagree when you actually agreed with me.

    Today it happened again. The game loaded to only the backdrop of the fire ring and crows, so I restarted and got a dc ban. The penalties are supposed to be for folks who abuse the ability to disconnect from a trial. It is not supposed to punish players who do not dc; it currently punishes players who play (I assume) just like you. We just want to play but constantly get penalties for dcing even though we did not. I would like to see that fixed or a workable solution for those who do not disconnect and get penalized anyways.

    Oh and reporting it to Behavior is a joke, they do nothing.

    this is your final comment in your initial post: "Could we just make all disconnect penalties like one minute for a time until they fix the issues on the server side?" what i showed was nothing to do with behavior servers what so ever. you are saying it's their problem when i showed ONE possibility that discounts your assertion that it's their servers that are the problem and fits your stated issue. and there is nothing beyond having a huge number of people looking at all sorts of internet data and even then they can't determine if a drop was internet or intentional disconnect from network features or turning the router off. since there was wide spread abuse of the disconnect system they had to put something in and did the only thing they could. moral of the story is if you disconnect once or twice it's not an issue but if you're dcing and then get internet disconnected don't cry about it. if you're getting network dc's that often you might just want to stop playing for a while in order to make sure things stabilize instead of intentionally going on and ruining a great many people. I don't have sympathy for anyone that keeps playing after network dc's (beyond a second one)

  • @stvnhthr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1855823#Comment_1855823

    Nope, not an issue on my end. Streaming audiobooks does not effect gameplay; that is not how the internet works.

    @stvnhthr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1867295#Comment_1867295

    Yes, if I had incredibly old internet from the 90's this would be relevant. I have high speed internet which never comes close to maxing out its limits. Audiobooks use very little for streaming, it would also effect other online apps all which maintain their connection. So I am sorry to imply you do not know how all internet works, you just do not know how big my bandwidth is. Since others are having the same problem we can assume it is not just on my end. My original point is since the dc penalties are effecting folks who do not DC the penalties should be adjusted. Right now they are punishing folks who do not rage quit but can do nothing to change the problem from a consumer level.

    And more to quote

    Bandwidth != speed. Your router may download at whatever speed, but a lot of things can change that. For example, bandwidth. Bandwidth is how much you can transfer before it gets limited at some point. For example, imagine a router with 3 devices connected and it has 3 bandwidth (which is not how it usually is measured but this is an example). 2 computers use 1 bandwidth, but the last one is trying to use 2. That one is slowed to 1 bandwidth because theres not enough bandwidth for it.

    I have 5MB/s download, but i cant use 5MB/s because i have other programs, theres other devices, and even just being connected reduces it because of how wifi broadcasting works. Even just streaming music from spotify is capable of ping spiking me when buffering or a new song starts and i wouldnt be surprised if its something similar here

    @stvnhthr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1870491#Comment_1870491

    You have offered one possible problem which justifies my original post and illustrates the point I was making, thank you. DC penalties are for punishing players who intentionally disconnect. It should not penalize players who live in a world with an imperfect internet structure. It would be really easy to fix. To DC you have to select "leave current trial," this is disconnecting. A player who does not dc should not be penalized.

    I can pull my ethernet (or power but why) cord and dc. I can use task manager to close the game and dc. I can open my wifi menu and click disconnect and dc. I could blacklist connecting to dbds servers and dc.

    None of these are detectable from if theyre deliberate or an accident.

  • Happened again just now so I am able to confirm I had 20mb/s at time of game disconnecting. I was monitoring and I see I never lost connection.

    I am now wondering if this is a bug that when the killer dcs the survivors are getting hit with the penalty. I had maxed out all saves, chase, bold, survivor points with a bloody party streams so I lost north of 60,000 bloodpoints. I was running around dropping pallets and blinding the poor killer. I was not being toxic, just a bad matchup.

    Or it could be the good ol' Behavior employee who has taken to harassing me in game thinking he is cute. He got reported so I could see him holding a grudge.

  • On a plus note, today the game did it again, I was at an exit gate leaving to victory and it dropped me, I figured I would get a DC penalty and I did not. All that happened is I lost all my points for the game. So there appears to be no rhyme or reason to why it drops and if you will be penalized every time.

  • Never mind the above comment, it did it again (running out exit victoriously when it drops me from game). This time it gave me a 1/2 hour DC penalty. My crime: playing well and exiting. I guess this by this point is old news, this game is so so so frustratingly broken.

  • Okay got proof now, it is the killer DCing and both the killer and I are getting DC penalties. This seems to be a major problem.

  • It is. However it is not - only - a "server" issue.

    As a european, i just had a noneu guy, using VPN; the match had only garbage hits.

    During the sacrifice animation somehow he DC-d/lagged out.

    I was thrown back to the offline lobby; i got escaped, kept my items, addons, offering, killer had dc sign...

    ...and i got DC penality.


    I reported it, but i know it is useless, since

    • they cannot prevent players using third party software to abuse latency
    • there is no region locked matchmaking. Even if noone using VPN, as a european you still can get paired with one chinese, one canadian and one american survivor, plus a russian killer (that is notoriously awful).

    Agreed, dc pen system does not work 100% properly, but it is only the - negative - effect caused by, not the origin of the problem.

    So, if something needs to be discussed (fixed...maybe) about the major issues of the game, here is the most beloved one: matchmaking.

  • So any news from Behavior looking into this? I like to play DBD, it is my reward for getting work done and taking a 1/2 break. I currently have a 24 hour penalty and I have not dced once. Not once. Seriously this is a major problem. The frequency of false dc's has increased greatly over the last few weeks. As someone who has worked in customer service I can not imagine not addressing this issue, it is business suicide to punish your customers when they have not done anything wrong.

  • I have searched high and low for some sort of response to this exact question! My PC and internet are spectacular. I've done everything I've been suggested, and still DC at least once, if not twice a day. I am now at a 24 hour DC penalty when I've never DC'd myself. It always says host connection issue and shows that the killer DC'd in end game tallies, gives me my blood points and takes me back to queue to a DC penalty. And it is worse now than it has been. Why is nothing being done? I love this game and I've spent lots of money and time on this game. I'd hate to have to stop playing it because of this.

  • @CrustyCrow said:

    I have searched high and low for some sort of response to this exact question! My PC and internet are spectacular. I've done everything I've been suggested, and still DC at least once, if not twice a day. I am now at a 24 hour DC penalty when I've never DC'd myself. It always says host connection issue and shows that the killer DC'd in end game tallies, gives me my blood points and takes me back to queue to a DC penalty. And it is worse now than it has been. Why is nothing being done? I love this game and I've spent lots of money and time on this game. I'd hate to have to stop playing it because of this.

    I see Behavior has created a post about this problem. It has taken them just over a month to admit this is a problem on their end and to stop blaming the player's internet service. So it sounds like in a patch or two they will fix this problem. It is a huge step for them to actually admit they recognize the problem and are working on it.

  • @stvnhthr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1950629#Comment_1950629

    I see Behavior has created a post about this problem. It has taken them just over a month to admit this is a problem on their end and to stop blaming the player's internet service. So it sounds like in a patch or two they will fix this problem. It is a huge step for them to actually admit they recognize the problem and are working on it.

    Do you possibly have a link to the post about it? Thank you!

  • @CrustyCrow said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1950750#Comment_1950750

    Do you possibly have a link to the post about it? Thank you!

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/152610/need-community-help-random-disconnect-in-game#latest


    It is under the report bugs section, it is currently pinned so it is the top discussion.