The devs continues to "fix" core game issues with perks

DISCLAIMER: This is not a hate thread in any way. This is constructive criticism.

I think perks are great, but they aren't great if they are used only to fix core game issues, that's problematic (I know that many of those perks tend to be very powerful as well). I've heard lots of ppl saying they are incompetent. I sometimes agree to disagree when I hear their arguments to why they're incompetent, but this is one of them which I always tend to agree with.

I started playing this game since the 15th of April 2020. I started noticing pretty much right from the start how many perks there were that pretty much "fixed" core game issues. I don't like calling someone lazy, but I am starting to wonder if that's what they are or not. I mean, they could have tried to fix these issues a long time ago, but they choose to make perks in hope that they would fix these issues. If they would fix core game issues, we would probably also see a more varied meta. Yes, I know you can run whatever you want but many ppl that want the highest percentage of escaping the trial would probably have to run meta perks.

Getting slugged? No problem, cause then you have these perks (I'm counting DS as an anti-slugging perk as well if you get picked up when the killer is slugging when DS is active: Decisive Strike, Unbreakable, We're Gonna Live Forever, No Mither, Tenacity, Flip Flop, Buckle Up, For the People, Soul Guard and Power Struggle.

Getting tunneled? No problem, cause then you have these perks: Decisive Strike and Borrowed Time.


My question is when are you going to fix core game issues? I mean for real, it's not healthy for the game if you continue making more perks like these.

Comments

  • The reason behind fixing core game design issues with perks is because it's much simpler to do than actually fix core issues, which are hotly contested on what the issues even actually are.

    Slugging is a really awkward issue because it's not even 100% an issue. Slugging is important to doing well as killer sometimes. However, it becomes toxic/unfun when killers do stuff like slug 3/4 of the team all at once because BBQ or some other info perk told them exactly where everyone was, or they slug somebody and just leave them sit there for like 2 minutes. The usual response to this is "well the survivors should play better and not get chain-downed and they should pick you up off the ground if you're there for that long" and while that's all fine and dandy, the skill gaps between survivors are completely meme-worthy at all levels. I have literally bled out on the ground in the middle of a match with nobody else injured because none of them come and pick me up, multiple times. as such, people almost always run anti-slugging perks. Unbreakable is one of the most commonly run perks in the game. So how do you actually address this issue? Allowing people to pick themselves up with no perk would be a massive nerf to killer because they would have to more or less immediately pick up the person they downed, instead of being able to do other stuff real quick, and this game is already heavily survivor sided at higher levels of play.

    Tunneling and hook camping are more cut and dry issues, but they still don't have clean solutions.