Ruin/Undying is Balanced; Natural Rank Reset
At the highest levels of play, Dead by Daylight is a survivor-sided game.
Unfortunately, until BHVR successfully implements a functional skill-based matchmaking system, there is no "high level of play" for public gamers. The skill-floor to reach red ranks is low enough that inexperienced players can easily climb above their skill-group in SWFs, leading to an over-saturation of boosted solo-survivors when these players decide to survive alone.
It is this over-saturation of inexperienced of players (and matchmaking queuing me with survivors 15 ranks behind me) that causes Hex: Undying to feel broken, not the nature of the perk itself.
At its core, DBD is a team game where survivors are incentivized to work together in order to escape the impending doom that is the only real "solo" player--the killer.
In theory, without the coordinated efforts of all four survivors, the killer should emerge from each match a proven unstoppable force of nature. However, in practice, the talents of 1 or 2 are capable of carrying the inexperience of others.
That was until the addition of Hex: Undying. Ruin/Undying together lift the responsibilities of escaping off the shoulders of 1 or 2 survivors and places that weight back on all four survivors. As evident by the discussions in this forum, there is a counter to Undying--teamwork.
Survivors who cannot work as a team; who do not know how to think critically, and struggle to prioritize objectives, do not belong at the highest ranks of play. Yet you will find droves of red rank players who do not know how/when to use Self-Care or how/when to urban evade.
These players do not belong in red ranks, and Hex: Undying is weeding them out.
Chapter 17 reminded us that Dead by Daylight is the survival of the fittest. Survivors will adapt, or they will die (and they will derank).
---
Disclaimer: I do not condone the use of Ruin, Undying, Tinkerer, BBQ together. I find killers who run it incredibly dull and predictable. I will find your totems, and I will break them. And when my gen hits 70% you bet your ass I will walk off it just to watch you waste time running across the map to kick a generator I'll be completing shortly after you walk away.
Comments
Ermm thanks for sharing?
On the disclaimer part, "I find killers who run it incredibly dull and predictable"
Exactly the reason why I look down upon Deathslingers with M&A, Spirits with Stridor, Oni's with Infectious Fright, Legions with Thana, Leatherface's with Insideous, Demogorgon's with STBFL, and probably more im forgetting off the top of my head.
Its soooooooooooooooo boring, might as well play against a freaking bot.
what you mean is you’re sick of killers with perks that compliment their powee, what would be better? Legiom with sloppy butcher?
like I said, its just extremely boring, might as well not have perks at all if you are going to run the obvious combinations.
And slobby butcher legion, sure why not? you have to M1 survivors anyway so go right ahead.
Because you want survivors to heal as legion so they waste time
Except that it isn’t weeding them out. They still pip or safety pip even if the entire team dies. Undying isn’t weeding out bad survivor players at all, it’s just making the game even more miserable for the people they’re paired with.
If the ranking system actually did what any ranking system is SUPPOSED to do (matched people with similar skill/experience levels together), it wouldn’t be a problem. But it’s basically impossible to consistently depip, so it does nothing.
and sloppy butcher increases that wasting time.
so it compliments his power
Yeah, no. It lets terrible killers win. Example: I just had a game against a Nurse running the classic meta build (Ruin/Undying/Tinkerer/BBQ). She 4k'd at 3 gens after having her shortest chase at about 40 seconds, and it was against an injured survivor. Two of us could have led her on minutes-long chases if not for the fact that she kept bailing to harass the gen that Tinkerer just popped on.
Real skilled. Guess I got outplayed.
That's pretty much how my trials go. Killer cannot chase worth a damn, but they can pressure gens with Tinkerer/totems with Undying, and build deadzones.
There is definitely truth in what you are saying, which is why the shift has been slow and painful.
We have had several rank resets since Blight, allowing survivors who frequently safety pip in red ranks to prove they can climb back up. Is it easy to do? Sure. But the popularity of Ruin/Undying has made a noticeable impact in my experience.
I find more dependable teammates now than I have in months past. Games where my teammates are making more questionable decisions are often explained in the post-game when their differing ranks are revealed.
I would still like to see a working skill-based matchmaking system, but at the moment I am appreciating the impact that Undying has had on the state of play (perk combo redundancy aside).
I don't quite think you understand: You cannot do generators when the killer is right there every time it hits 70%
Your joking right?
no, why would I?
obvious combos are boring, min maxing nonsense, be creative and try ot have some fun jeez.
And for the survivor side, stop running the gawd damn meta and grow a personality...and a spine
You see, I would try and have fun if every time I tried a new killer I wouldn’t get bullied by survivors. This is why I stick with IF Oni
I think they should give undying a buff and a nerf.
Buff: Respawns no longer remove perk tokens
Nerf: When this totem is cleansed any totem that has been previously respawned will go dull and disable.
This restores some of the risk of running tokenless hex perks like ruin while breathing new usefulness into the perk for protecting hex perks with tokens.
Please keep the discussion civil and respectful.
Alright then thank you for clearing that up I thought you were gonna complain about killers going boring and the defend lame survivor setups.
no survivors just wont heal if it takes too long
Ethan pretty much summed it up perfectly today in the Q&A Livestream, in response to a comment about changing the meta more frequently.
"Some people are going to run the same four perks every match, because thats what works for them [...] it would be great if they do decide to switch it up, but if thats the way they enjoy the game we don't really want to tell them no either."
Those of us who love variety will always take issue with those who wish only to run the same meta perks day-in and day-out, because at the end of the day we can't tell people how they are supposed to enjoy the game. The best we can do is show others that the game can be enjoyed in unconvential ways, and that perks they feel dependent on are not as necessary as they may think.