Should DBD have a volatile meta?

Many complaints about DBD have been pointed at perks/add-ons/items that are 'too powerful'. Some good examples would be keys, moris, decisive strike, and no-ed. I'd love to hear whether people believe these are bad for game health, or if the game would be boring without these impactful mechanics.

I personally think that the game would be boring without variety, but many items are simply too impactful. I think these items get in the way of consistent gameplay, but would love to hear what the majority thinks. Perhaps after a few thousand hours the variety offered by these items are what makes the game fun?

Comments

  • Yes they're bad for game health because both sides are unhappy

    There is no variety with the same ol meta perks

  • I think the Devs should randomly buff and nerf perks out of the blue every week just to shift the meta wildly in random directions and accidentally create insane mechanics that last mere days before vanishing into the void, but I revel in confusion and disorder so maybe don't listen to me.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    I think the Devs should randomly buff and nerf perks out of the blue every week just to shift the meta wildly in random directions and accidentally create insane mechanics that last mere days before vanishing into the void, but I revel in confusion and disorder so maybe don't listen to me.

    That would be fun, but I can only imagine the number of complaints ๐Ÿ˜‚

  • @MadLordJack said:

    I think the Devs should randomly buff and nerf perks out of the blue every week just to shift the meta wildly in random directions and accidentally create insane mechanics that last mere days before vanishing into the void, but I revel in confusion and disorder so maybe don't listen to me.

    I'm waiting for the day people complain about Monstrous Shrine and This is not happening being OP

  • There's a lot of perks that are used to make up for poor balance.

    Decisive strike, borrowed time, undying, ruin. I don't know why they havn't addressed the core issues instead of band-aid fixing things.

    Here's to hoping they actually overhaul the base game.

  • It's less volatile meta and more volatile community. The amount of hate that goes through this game is 90% of the problem causing everything else. The entire they/them arguments of Survivor against Killer ruins any healthy discussions about the game.

  • @chieften333 said:

    There's a lot of perks that are used to make up for poor balance.

    Decisive strike, borrowed time, undying, ruin. I don't know why they havn't addressed the core issues instead of band-aid fixing things.

    Here's to hoping they actually overhaul the base game.

    I think all those perks would be fine if there wasn't soooooo many perks that are just borderline useless. Like honestly does anyone use Red Herring? Left Behind? No Mither? Lucky Break?

    And then there's a whole pile of perks that are so close to being used but just arent quiiiiite good enough to justify taking out something else for.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    damn this is an intricate topic.

    you would have to remove or rework outrageous perks like unbreakable, object, decisive strike to be mundane like fixated, quiet, dance, empathy, etc.

    something the latter four perks have that make them both fun and good: filling niche, and effective in different ways for different situations

    the problem is, the devs have balanced the game with perks for too long to switch the whole meta now.

    let's see the example: ruindying has been added to fix genrushing problem at higher ranks, but it makes low ranks and solo much harder to win with

    i don't even need to say further than that example, as long as swf and solo have a massive gap and the fundamental problems of the game do not get solved then we will never see a volatile meta

    you will always want to use second chance perks and gen-slowdown perks and chase perks if you're an m1 killer, nothing else makes as significant effect as these at higher ranks

    as long as the game functions like this at higher ranks, we will never see a volatile meta

    I agree with the comment about solo vs. swf, but that's a whole other can of worms to get into. What I will say is that I don't think the devs have dug a hole they can't get out of. If we look back a year the killer meta was clear, you ran ruin and bbq or lost. Now we see far more variety in killer perks. Ultimately, I would love to see that same change for killer add-ons and survivor perks. Although, I don't know how many people would disagree with those changes.

  • @Boddy604 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1783850#Comment_1783850

    I think all those perks would be fine if there wasn't soooooo many perks that are just borderline useless. Like honestly does anyone use Red Herring? Left Behind? No Mither? Lucky Break?

    And then there's a whole pile of perks that are so close to being used but just arent quiiiiite good enough to justify taking out something else for.

    Yeah, I would say there are a good number of perks that are almost never used. I think the question becomes whether every perk should be buffed to the level of DS/Save The Best For Last or should these be nerfed to be like Alert/Butter Murmur. Personally, I would like to see everything be like Alert/Bitter Murmur, where it is useful but not game changing.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1783971#Comment_1783971

    You can expect 90% of the dbd playerbase to rage and drop the game when you take off their favorite and sometimes essential toys for even just a weekend. See bloodlust test for example.

    I would say if you made changes to both sides simultaneously, it would be far less controversial than the bloodlust tests. The bloodlust test was a complete nerf to killers. People would be far less vocal if, for example, BHVR nerfed moris but also nerfed flashlights. Although, it is true that they would need to be careful about how they introduced these changes from a PR perspective.

  • @OniWantsYourMacaroni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1783816#Comment_1783816

    I'm waiting for the day people complain about Monstrous Shrine and This is not happening being OP

    After being hooked in the basement, a survivor can be killed by your hand.

  • @slayer565745 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1783880#Comment_1783880

    Yeah, I would say there are a good number of perks that are almost never used. I think the question becomes whether every perk should be buffed to the level of DS/Save The Best For Last or should these be nerfed to be like Alert/Butter Murmur. Personally, I would like to see everything be like Alert/Bitter Murmur, where it is useful but not game changing.

    While i dont disagree, i also think think there's a bunch of killer perks that do the same. I think its easier to buff weak perks than it is to kill strong ones