Band-aid fixes have been covering up how unbalanced the base game is
I'm sure most survivors know the pain of being tunneled or camped. When you tell others about it, they tell you to run Decisive strike, or borrowed time.
Most killers can tell you how much it sucks for games to be finished in less than five minutes. People will tell you to run PGTW, thanatophobia, and a handful of other perks to slow the game down.
Another band-aid that has been in use for years now is bloodlust. With the recent experiment showing how some maps still have a long way to go in regards to balance.
These things have covering up core issues of the game that have been around for a long time. As it stands BHVR have forced themselves into a corner. They can either address the core issues, but this would entail a major overhaul of the base game and offending perks. Or, keep using perks and bloodlust to compensate for unbalanced mechanics.
With the aforementioned blood lust experiment, BHVR is showing that they are starting to rip the band-aids off. As well as some map reworks balancing the loops (thank god for the ormond overhaul)
They are moving in a promising direction. But I hope they look more into perk balance, and eventually address the main issues.
Edit: I forgot to mention how undying covers for bad totem RNG. Without it totems could be cleansed within the first minute of the game. Totems feel like they need work, but I'm not sure what they could do.
Comments
Yeah,and then they want to nerf coup de grâce lol
The devs are always switching between great balance decisions and really weird ones
I'm not too torn up about coup de grâce, it was a niche perk even in the PTB. But yeah, still a pretty wierd nerf.
It's the mentality that nerfing an already extremely underpowered perk is ok what really concerns me about their future balance decisions.
Yeah I see that, decisions like that are what corral people to use the meta even more than they already do.
Meanwhile, OoO is fine and doesn't need any changes. kekekekeke
It is worth mentioning that McCote pointed out that the stats don't tell you how it feels to go against something.
Or something along those lines. But he did correct the other guy on OoO.
I mean the whole game is pretty much under a plasterfix with Perks, Add-ons and Game Mechanics.
Perks such as "Borrowed Time" and "Decisive Strike" are supposed to be anti-tunnel, in order to fix the whole "tunneling" situation but encourages bad play from the survivors because of how badly designed they are ie low requirements and high rewards.
Add-ons are just fixes to how badly designed some killer powers are. Killers that are add-on dependant in order to play them and have fun (At high level) are bad design from the get go and need to be looked into such as Trapper, Wraith, Nurse and Clown.
Game Mechanics such as Bloodlust are ok, the idea is supposed to "fix" the length of chases but it's contradicted by many factors.
Not that much unfortunately,because the dev that said object is fine is part of the balance team and McCote isn't.
I made a poll let's see what people prefer. I'm pretty sure DLCs would win but I'm hoping game health does
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/209362/what-would-you-like-to-see-improved#latest
But would the length of chases be so long if maps were balanced?
I agree bloodlust is a necessary mechanic, but only during the current balance state of the game. Primarily due to the speed of gens, and how unbalanced some loops are.
I would hope game health wins, that is what would keep people in the game long term.
How would you change Object that wouldn't completely gimp it of it's purpose?
At this point something would be better than nothing. If used right It can completely destroy a trap based killer.
It's not that maps are unbalanced but the fact that most killers that aren't anti-loop can't do anything at tiles such as jungle gyms, long short walls and 4 lanes as well killer shack. Those tiles ae ultra safe and have no counter-play if the player knows how to use them correctly also RNG plays a huge factor on how the match is going to be played out.
McCote is right, I don't see why the balance team wouldn't listen to that statement.
Hmm,now that i remember that incident that got insta flashlights immediately nerfed then there might be hope
https://youtu.be/R98e-Y4Lu8w