A Jaded players Plea to the community regarding Forum posts
Ok, so first here's the list of unbiased "rules" I follow:
@TWiXT said:
Due to the new Silent Hill Chapter release, we are getting an influx of new players, and so I must say:
First of All Welcome to Dead by Daylight, and I hope you are all having fun so far.
That being said, you are likely to see a whole lot of forum posts, and/or chat messages citing "Made up Rules" Killers and Survivors should follow. Most, if not all of these are based on individual experiences, and are heavily biased for what ever side the posting member plays, so before you comment or "side" with anyone, here is a list of unbiased "rules" that I believe everyone can get behind as a foundation to enjoying the game:
1 - Play how you want to play and enjoy the game.
2 - Respect is akin to Newtons 3rd law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Ergo, if you show no respect, don't expect an
3 - The Killers role is to kill, the Survivors is to survive... Both by any means necessary. Hate the game, not the playe
4 - When the gates are powered... Anything goe
5 - You paid money for a multiplayer experience, and thus aren't entitled to win every match. Anyone who takes umbrage to this should stick to single-player games where-in you are entitled to win for the money you paid. Being salty because of a lost match is unbecoming, embarrassingly juvenile, and toxic to the communities reputation. We're all people pitting our skills, strategies, and knowledge against each-other. If you lose and have nothing good to say: Leave a "gg," calm down/lick your wounds, and move onto the next matc
6 - (For PC players anyways) Post game chat can be closed using the ">>" in the lower right of the chat box, and will remain closed until you either open it again or restart the game. No one deserves abuse, so if you find yourself frustrated over excessive endgame chat toxicity: Just close it, and continue enjoying the game in peac
7 - This is a 4v1 Lobby and Match style Multiplayer game. When you queue up to play a match you are committing to seeing it through so that everyone can enjoy the game, and everyone else who queued up is depending on your commitment to the match in order to experience said enjoyment. The acceptable reasons for Intentionally Disconnecting from a match are as follow
A Game breaking bug rendering you incapable of playing a normal matc
A Player(s) taking the game hostage/hacking/exploiting bugs or unintentional game mechanics/bullying or griefing you. (Record if possible, and Report them after leaving the matc
Influences and situations outside of the game that make your disconnection unavoidable in order to deal with said circumstance
Disconnecting from a match intentionally for any other reason is a practice in bad sportsmanship that Ruins the experience for all other players, Disconnecting over petty reasons doesn't do anything other than piss off everyone else, and makes you a worse player for it since you don't learn how to play any better by quitting. Disconnecting is currently being punished for a good reason: Too many DC's from too many players results in leaving the community as a whole with a sour experience, and could eventually kill the game we love. If you are frustrated with how a match is going; Take it in stride as a learning experience, see it through to the end, take a break, and decide if you want to queue up for another match. We all bought this game in order to play it with others despite how each match goes, and the majority of the fun this game offers is in the variation of each individual matc
Don't be a petty DC'e
8 - For survivors, Rage quitting via suicide on the hook is your choice, but as with rule 7, all it does is ruin the experience for the rest of your team, and piss everyone off. While it's not currently being punished, it's still regarded by the community as a show of bad sportsmanship. If you don't at least try to play through until the end, regardless of the results, you are only hurting the experience for all other players both new and old, but it's with the new players where this hurts the game the most
Bad matches happen, we understand, but that's no reason throw a game, especially over petty reasoning. Matches can turn around at the drop of a hat as long as everyone's still playing, and often do, but you won't experience that if you RQ on the hook, and by doing so you drastically affect the teams ability to pull off said "turn around". On top of this, it does nothing for your personal skill growth as a player, or your Blood Point/Experience gains, so there's not really any reason to do it other than petty ones
9 - If it's a legal mechanic in the game, don't be afraid to use it. Half the fun is discovering new strategies, counters, and synergies using the tools the game provides, so no matter how effective or overpowered you feel they are, there's nothing wrong with using them to your advantag
10 - Take the good with the bad in stride, rise to meet the challenge every new match presents, and overall... have fu
Honestly, this is just a list of Common Sense spelled out for everyone to see. The inherent problem of "unwritten" or "Made up rules" is that they're more of guidelines that nobody is obligated to follow. I know it won't change everyone, but I felt if I expressed the rules I follow when playing this game for all to see, maybe others might have them in mind when playing, whether they use them or not. n.e.. . r.h.s.h)h.s:e.h.s.r.y.
To all you new players, again Welcome to DbD, and if you are going to follow any "Made up Rules", I believe this is a good set to start off with.
(View the actual post, the preview seems screwy for some reason, it's leaving out the last letter of every paragraph, and adding a weird set of letters with odd punctuation near the end)
I've always played by these rules, and win or lose, I've never begrudged a killer or survivor for whatever build, character, items, perks, or strategies they bring in. This is a multiplayer game of a type (asymmetrical) that has always proven to be nigh impossible to balance. While there are many discussed points I Agree upon, wherein the game could use some tweaks towards balance, the majority of posts complaining about the mechanics of the game are simply insulting, and irritating beyond measure.
It seems that while no one knows or cares about the rules I follow, many have lost the idea regarding what this game is about and will ######### and moan about any and every perceived "injustice" in the game in an effort to try and persuade the devs to agree with their side; read: "main". I understand why you do it, Hell, I'm even responsible for a few "suggestions" myself in the past that favored one side unfairly over the other, but have overall learned that the posts I make that try to keep "The overall Balance" as it stands in mind, are the only ones anyone actually listens to.
Yet, these forums are littered with endless and banal complaints that are heavily biased towards one side or the other, and honestly, I've become sick of it! If you have a genuine concern that hasn't already been addressed in previous posts (please do a search before posting) then by all means post about it! Otherwise, please, ask yourself what you are wanting to say, whether or not you are just trying to make things easier for the side you play, reflect upon it, and see if anyone else has the same concerns, BEFORE you create a new post. I am so tired of seeing these same posts reiterated every day:
"X is OP, PLz nERf", "X is "unfun" Because", "X is OP" and of course "X has no counter-play!"
While some of these are legit concerns regarding balance, the majority of them amount to little more than banal whining that not only irritates everyone else here, but also obscures the legit concern posts which end up becoming lost in the pile of garbage posts.
IF you have something good to debate with the community that is well thought out, based upon plentiful experience and non-biased, then by all means: your post is very welcome here. Otherwise, If you're just venting or trying to convince the devs to make changes based upon a Biased point of view... you're only hurting the communities/your sides reputation, and the devs opinions of those of us with legitimate concerns.
Please, for the sake of everyone here, consider and research what you want to post about before you clutter up the forums with more "banal whining". I know this game can be frustrating, and I know it has it's imbalances, but if you just want to whine or complain about something: rethink it, check if anyone else has already made the complaint first, and above all, try to keep an unbiased Point of View regarding the Balance of the game in mind before you make your post.
I love this game, and I love this community, but coming to these forums Day after Day and seeing the same stuff being posted in repeat for equally asinine reasons has become tiring, and I'm certain that I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Comments
Most of the guys who are only whining, think they have a valid argument. They will read this post and agree with it because they think its not about them.
There are posts in this forum, where you should be 100% sure its a troll. But im not sure anymore. Either they are commiting to trolling way to much or they are serious.
But for everyone who wants that this forum has a impact. Try reading it with the mindset you are a one of the devs. After doing this i have huge respect for every dev who is active in this forum.
A good overall message, and aside from some minor corrections to your wording, I couldn't have said it better myself.
This. People have one tilting match and come here to vent. 95% of the threads on general discussion are pretty garbage and should be ignored. If you want proper balance discussion go the the Feedback section.
Do what I do, like I posted about a few weeks back: scroll past them.
At some point playing this game you get experienced enough that most of what’s complained about are really non issues. (Yeah, ok, I’ll admit even some of the things I rant about sometimes. It’s usually about venting more than anything).
You can plead all you like, there is always going to be a rotation/resurgence of Spirit OP, NOED broken, DS broken, “I lost therefore game is unbalanced, blah blah.
In fairness, we’ve all been there. We all go through our phase of “this is BS” and “that is BS”.
Now if a post title implies its aboyt any of this ad nauseam crap, i just scroll past.
Its much healthier to ignore it.
That's the problem... I can't. Trust me, I'd love to keep ignoring the asinine posts, the repeats of already discussed opinions, and the posts that are meant to bait or troll us, but I keep clicking none the less. Most I don't respond to, but only because I have nothing nice to say, and in the rare instances where something rubs me wrong, I just want to scream at them! Sadly sometimes I do... and for that, when it happens, I'm very sorry... but can't, in my mind, for even a moment, claim that I'm not justified. This is a toxic side of me that is always on the verge of releasing while browsing these posts, and I hate letting it free. Albeit Rare, I'm certain there are many others who hate to see this side of me as well.
This "Plea" I've made has honestly less to do with improving the forums... which if abided, it would... and is much more about me keeping my vicious side in check.
For example: I was raised in a military family, and Negative re-enforcement was all I ever knew until college, so when I see a whining post, I can't help but initially feel that they need to "Grow up. Stop Bitching!"
This is apparently not an acceptable approach to commenting here, and try as I might, I still find myself utterly perturbed and infuriated by what feels like 80% of the posts here.
Sigh, I KNOW this post won't change anything, but I hope and pray that enough people will understand that making posts that amount to nothing more than asinine comments or complaining, is unhealthy for the community, and really pisses people like me off. I want to be a nice guy and help those who are having issues with this game, but... I can't if all I ever see is posts re-iterating other posts in weak and unapologetically biased ways. I want to stay here and be a supportive member, but c'mon guys... all you're making me want to do is tear into you, which I Sadly know the Mods won't put up with, no matter how much you deserve it!
Maybe take a break from the forums? Seems like it's more of a frustrating time than an enjoyable time for you, especially if you can't just ignore the posts that bug you.
Well said. I wish we could hide posts. Sometimes there are threads that have been done to death and have nothing new to contribute. They go on for hundreds of comments and keep getting bumped to the top. I would love to be able to hide those and declutter the main page.
But I will say one thing: I will take these forums any day over the endless memes of the subreddit.
Welcome to the dbd forums friend. First time through?