Exit Gates need a slight change

I believe that exit gates need a small change, this being that the progress of opening the doors should reset when a survivor lets go (similar to totems). I feel that this could lead to a lot of benefit in the game, for one making endgame collapse a more significant game function. As it stands now, the endgame collapse might as well not even exist since survivors can just 99% doors creating no barrier between them and escaping. And even though killers can open doors themselves to force the endgame collapse, its usually a waste of time to do that and giving the survivors even more freedom when you could be chasing down another survivor. Making the door progress reset forces the survivors to make a huge decision for the endgame; either open the doors and force the collapse, or leave the doors closed to go for a last minute save but risk not being able to open the doors in time.

There are also many benefits that this change could have to the game and its meta. For one, it would enhance many perks like blood warden, remember me, wake up, and no one left behind. Blood warden would become better as in the endgame, survivors would be more inclined to open exit gates for not wanting to risk the long opening animation during a vital escape point. Wake up would become more viable as opening the exit gates faster would actually be important especially when going for last minute clutch saves. In addition, the bonus healing and rescue speeds from no one left behind could be more useful as opening the gates would be more incentivized. Remember me would also become better as having the exit gates take longer to open would incentivize the survivors to start the endgame collapse even during a dangerous point in the game.

Overall, making this small change to exit gates, I feel would make a significant impact on the gameplay in DBD. In addition, the only small drawback is that survivors would be forced to open the gates when someone is hooked in order to be able to go for an effective save causing the endgame collapse. However, those clutch saves would still be possible but it would put a lot more pressure on the survivors to make the move if they want the save. I would almost consider that another benefit considering that camping is a problem of its own. Consideration would be appreciated.

Comments

  • @VexTheHex said:

    No thanks. Too many gates spawn close together or too many Killers who can easily patrol two gates for this to work.

    Truth

  • Totally not a troll account.

  • Counter offer:

    When The Killer closes the hatch, both exit gates are opened.

    Because, to be honest, that's what this proposed change feels like.

  • @DecisiveDwight said:

    So killers can get an easy win no thanks its hard enough to open gates without getting caught doing so a full reset would unbalance the game entirely and when your the last survivor and killer closes the hatch then what you see me I run away and avoid getting killed only to have to risk it all again think I'd rather give you 4k if I'm honest

    If you have one survivor doing each gate then there's a fairly high chance that the killer won't get both, seeing as they'd either need to down or hook one survivor (hooking would generally be easier I think), which would probably waste enough time for the other gate to open. I do believe that it shouldn't be instant and should regress, so there's a way to recover if you get chased off.

  • Yeah, dude, it would. Every match would be handed to the killers. Work for your food. The survivors did, that's how they got to that opening the gate point. Killer mains are just getting lazy.

  • Unfortunately for you, it will never change. Also unfortunate, is that we players don't actually get to dictate and decide what should and shouldn't be put in, removed or altered from the game. We didn't help develop it, we have no claim.

    Sure, they may use a small idea here and there if it works, but never if it's going to break the very fundamentals of it, and throw it entirely off balance.

    Your idea causes way more problems than it solves. More or less a get out of jail free card for lazy or bad killers who simply cannot learn to counter survivors or bother to try, and get mad when they can't kill.

  • @bredbeddle said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1772529#Comment_1772529

    Good lord, that was a strong reaction. First of all, yes, I'm glad you decided to use punctuation, because now I can read what you're saying without having a stroke. Making it easier for people to understand you is always a good thing. To the topic at hand: I'm aware that I don't have control over the forums, but hijacking a thread that's getting lots of attention to inject your own, relatively unrelated ideas is hard to see as either unaware or bad faith. I'm aware that it's a free world and that you can do what you want, but that doesn't mean that I have to like what you do, and it doesn't mean that I can't comment on what you say.

    Incidentally: who said that I'm a killer main? Does "disagrees with me" just automatically translate to "plays the other side" to you?

    (Edited for spelling)

    That is true and yeah I should have took the time to put punctuation and all that. but I just didn't like how you just came at me like that seemed a bit rude to me but we all just have our valid opinions and all that. I'm not here looking for beef with anyone who's all just here giving our opinions you don't have to agree if you don't feel the same way completely understandable. Also yes I could have started my own thread about the camping issue I'm literally playing dead by daylight right now and I just faced off against a bubba that camped. I just felt like there's more bigger issues with some of the killers that have more of a advantage over the survivors just felt like we should be focusing on game balancing. But it also depends on how big you are of a survivor or killer that's why ranking is so important but in all I just felt like disagreeing with the exit gate 99% I feel like it's more fair.

  • This feedback is just about achieving one goal: making things even easier for The Killer. The endgame collapse is already basically a killer mechanism that more often than not heavily favors the killer. Not to mention all of the free information they get such as seeing the aura of both gates in perpetuity. This unnecessarily complicates a very basic goal when the collapse was introduced, that goal is simply to prevent survivors from holding the game hostage. Every few weeks someone has a bright idea about how to evolve the collapse into something it was never intended to be. It's not a killer tool.

  • I think a better solution would be to reset the bar down to 75% whenever you let go above that amount. Makes it so you can't 99 tap it, but you dont have to sit on it for the full time to get out.

  • Having them regress at the same base opening speed would be fine. Leave the opening time as is. Change Remember Me to add a fake exit gate, and decrease opening speed by 5/7/10%.

  • I'm a survivor main and when everyone dies and it's just me i either find hatch and take the win or killer find s hatch and when they do I cant do anything except run the killer and die to endgame which I said to my friends they should make a mechanic that allows you to attempt to open hatch with a 4% chance and when your not lucky you get notified to the killer and the timer drops 4 seconds because even when I play killer once you find hatch it's pretty much a win if your good a tracking but it sucks as survivors because when they have to go through exit gates there's a chance that the gates will be on the same wall which is pretty much impossible. Also as killer I think the only problem is if your rank 12 then being with red rank survivors really suck to the point where I literally quit playing killer for 4 months but now I got back to playing killer but I use anything advantage including noed.

  • @TeabaggingGhostface said:

    I'd honestly say make endgame collapse start immediately after gens are done, but the timer is extended by a minute

    I'd actually argue for less time. Puts pressure on everyone and reduces toxicity at the gates as well. If a bunch of survivors are teabagging and pointing at me from the gate, I'm not going to go give them more points. Yet a dev said that's not holding the game hostage, just go hit them out.


    Uh, no. There's nothing for me to gain in that situation, yet plenty for them to gain. So in those times, it's always waiting out a couple of pricks who could easily leave and end the game. It's just annoying after a bad game.

    Doors that are 99'd resetting is a bit much. But say Ruin is somehow still active, I wouldn't mind the door regressing, although at half the speed of gen regression. This would entice survivors to really do totems and to also try something other than 'meta' perks because let's face it, many perks are viable in this game. Anyone that argues they're situational seem to forget that most 'meta' perks are situational.

    BT needs to be in the terror radius, DS requires a killer to pick a survivor up, Adrenaline requires all gens to be done. Sometimes those things just don't happen. DS ends up being a waste of a perk if I equip it and definitely a waste if someone equips it against me. All of Laurie's perks should be reworked tbh. The fact the devs refuse to acknowledge how strong OoO can be in a SWF, even an average skilled SWF, is ridiculous. I've had games where there's two OoO and it makes it impossible to do anything. But since they can't do anything about party chats and communication, they can rework certain perks so the game isn't balanced around no communication.

    Sorry, went down a bunny trail there. But I'm all for slight changes that take both sides out of comfort zones and makes them try new things. Keeps the game fresh.

  • Having a built-in gate regression seems like a much better option than having a complete reset. It will still address your core complaint, which I agree, is a problem.

1 2 ›