Maybe changing mechanics on perks and character selections?

At this stage of the game, I personally think DBD would be more fun and fair if its playing field was leveled and was sort of given the Overwatch-style restrictions. What I mean by that is:

  • Perks could be fixed to each character. The first three slots could be reserved for the character's personal perks and the fourth slot could be a free slot to put whatever general/teachable perk the player wants as a "trump card". The "trump card" perk could be treated like an optional add-on and disappear after the Trial is over, but could still be reacquired through the Bloodweb. In other words, the players would essentially be unlocking and using the Adept loadout until Level 15. This means each Survivor/Killer will have a unique set of skills that encourages studying and understanding their roles and play styles while still offering some flexibility to somewhat tweak it to the player's preference without necessarily making them overpowered or obnoxious.
  • Survivors could be limited to one of each character at a time. This will encourage Survivor players to strategize and consider their team composition as this will affect the current meta if the previous idea is also implemented. On top of that, they'll be playing the characters as intended. This will also keep the matches fresh and diverse, as those pesky "trump card" perks will keep both sides on their toes and may make the difference in who really has the advantage, thus giving it a more competitive and immersive feel. Identifying Survivors who are being toxic or even cheating would probably be easier as well, as no two players are playing the same person.

I posted this idea on YouTube a few days ago (it was about the DBD Honor Code by OhTofu) and it seemed someone liked it and suggested I post it here. Today was the first time I made an account just to do that. What do you guys think?

Comments

  • It would definitely shake up the meta. However, I think that it'd make most killers unplayable.

  • I wish they would do something that made Survivors less of a 'skin' and put more emphasize on their personal perks - like, empowering their personal perks if they run them - maybe giving them a 'Tier 4' empowered version if a character is running the Tier 3 version of one of their perks.

    I absolutely agree with the limiting Survivors to only "one" of a type - but maybe not so restrictive as like only one Feng at a time -- but something like, only one character with a specific cosmetic look at a time (but limiting by name is much easier to code and program; even though I think it would require removing the 'pre-lobby' and having character selection be at the pre-game lobby instead.) The amount of times I just leave a lobby as killer because I see two Claudette wearing her deep red or black shirt, beanie hair, and dark jeans and just know they are going to play stealth/immersion the entire match is just getting too high lol.


  • @konchok said:

    It would definitely shake up the meta. However, I think that it'd make most killers unplayable.

    I'm sure the idea will make some Killers harder to play (such as Doctor or Nurse), but that just means they were pretty broken from the start and need to be reworked. Of course, it'll also require some practice on the players' part.

  • @Buzzkilljoy1248 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1650434#Comment_1650434

    I'm sure the idea will make some Killers harder to play (such as Doctor or Nurse), but that just means they were pretty broken from the start and need to be reworked. Of course, it'll also require some practice on the players' part.

    Definitely - I think it would shine a light on the killers that were designed and then had their perks designed around other existing perks instead of being plausible to run with one another.


  • @arcnkd said:

    I wish they would do something that made Survivors less of a 'skin' and put more emphasize on their personal perks - like, empowering their personal perks if they run them - maybe giving them a 'Tier 4' empowered version if a character is running the Tier 3 version of one of their perks.

    I absolutely agree with the limiting Survivors to only "one" of a type - but maybe not so restrictive as like only one Feng at a time -- but something like, only one character with a specific cosmetic look at a time (but limiting by name is much easier to code and program; even though I think it would require removing the 'pre-lobby' and having character selection be at the pre-game lobby instead.) The amount of times I just leave a lobby as killer because I see two Claudette wearing her deep red or black shirt, beanie hair, and dark jeans and just know they are going to play stealth/immersion the entire match is just getting too high lol.

    That's actually kinda what I mean, since all the Survivors fundamentally function the same without their perks and they feel interchangeable if a player can just run the same perks on each character. Part of the idea was that having the personal perks fixed to the characters (especially the Survivors) will flesh them out and give some individuality. However, your idea is pretty solid, too. Having the personal perks get upgraded when used on the matching character would reward the Adept approach. I'm not even against the idea of a "Create-a-Survivor" feature, where a player could make a character with whatever perks they want (maybe at the cost of receiving less Bloodpoints), whereas the established Survivors would basically be pre-made player models and loadouts.


  • @arcnkd said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1650553#Comment_1650553

    Definitely - I think it would shine a light on the killers that were designed and then had their perks designed around other existing perks instead of being plausible to run with one another.

    I don't mind Killers that take a bit of practice and patience to master. Lord knows how devastating any Adept Killer could be in the right hands. But, there's quite a few interesting Killers that unfortunately get pushed into the backburner because their powers don't work properly or their personal perks don't mesh well with said powers or even each other and thus makes them not fun to play as.