Rank 2 Survivor claimed I was "holding the game hostage"

I'm a fairly new player, main trapper, haven't even maxed him out yet. Rank 11 killer.

I got matched against a wide variety, rank 18, rank 12, rank 8, and rank 2.

Near the end of the match, 18 and 8 were dead, and I had the rank 12 and 2 survivors on the run with injuries. I down the 12, and wait for 2 while watching from a hill. Sure enough, 2 comes for 12, and I down 2.

At this point, I had ben hit by Direct Strike once already in the match by 8. I know there is a timer on DS, but I don't know how long it is, so I left them to die by slugging instead of chancing the DS.

Rank 2 and 12 both get in post game chat to rage at me for making it boring. Rank 2 even claimed he reported me for "holding the game hostage". A quick google later and I find that this term is used to describe ways of playing that make the game impossible to end, but slugging has a strict timer, so after a couple minutes they both died.

Is this an actual bannable offense? or just annoying to survivors, so they got butt-hurt about it?

TL:DR - I slugged the last 2 survivors for the guaranteed win. Is that "holding the game hostage"?

(P.S. - I can't figure out how to specify where this post should go, so please feel free to redirect my question if it's going to the wrong place)

Comments

  • Let me explain it for you since you are new. Decisive Strike (abbreviated by the community to DS) is active for 60 seconds after the survivor is unhooked, and it can only be used once per trial per survivor. After 60 seconds, it deactivates and the survivor can't use it. If you literally let them bleed out on the ground for 4 minutes then yes, you did a boring thing and forced them to wait as long as possible before the game was over. After you're sure a minute has passed, pick the survivor up and hook them.

    Holding the game hostage IS a bannable offence, but it's more catered towards survivors who do it by stealthing around everywhere and not doing gens. There's a good reason they have the bleed out timer so killers can't hold the game hostage for too long.

    Don't take it to heart, you're new and understandably don't know how everything works yet, just next time remember DS is only active for 60 seconds as soon as the survivor is unhooked.

  • @Samyrea said:

    I'm a fairly new player, main trapper, haven't even maxed him out yet. Rank 11 killer.

    I got matched against a wide variety, rank 18, rank 12, rank 8, and rank 2.

    Near the end of the match, 18 and 8 were dead, and I had the rank 12 and 2 survivors on the run with injuries. I down the 12, and wait for 2 while watching from a hill. Sure enough, 2 comes for 12, and I down 2.

    At this point, I had ben hit by Direct Strike once already in the match by 8. I know there is a timer on DS, but I don't know how long it is, so I left them to die by slugging instead of chancing the DS.

    Rank 2 and 12 both get in post game chat to rage at me for making it boring. Rank 2 even claimed he reported me for "holding the game hostage". A quick google later and I find that this term is used to describe ways of playing that make the game impossible to end, but slugging has a strict timer, so after a couple minutes they both died.

    Is this an actual bannable offense? or just annoying to survivors, so they got butt-hurt about it?

    TL:DR - I slugged the last 2 survivors for the guaranteed win. Is that "holding the game hostage"?

    (P.S. - I can't figure out how to specify where this post should go, so please feel free to redirect my question if it's going to the wrong place)

    Holding the game hostage meant you made the game unable to end without input from you. Here, they'd eventually bleed out, and as such is not holding it hostage.

  • To add to what @calem said - the absolute maximum bleedout timer (that bar you see at the bottom left on each downed survivor) is 240 seconds. If you have absolutely no idea how to track time while playing then 1/4 of that bar is more than enough time if you downed him the split second that he was unhooked... usually it takes a few seconds beyond that to chase him down etc.

  • In general, slugging the last Survivors and waiting for them to bleed out is considered unnecessary, but it isn't holding the game hostage. As another poster already explained, you only need to wait (60) seconds for DS to be off the table. Then hook them to get things over with. Besides, you get more points and advancement toward your Emblems with actual hook sacrifices. I'm sure the Survivor that vented on you was annoyed (it happens) but don't let it get to you. I suspect (having been there myself) that he was more upset about the outcome than the bleed out wait. Complaining about the bleed out is just more tangible and avoids the salt. Everyone feels better when they vent their spleen with some kind of ground to stand on.

    All that being said, you should take pride in taking down a Rank-2 Survivor at your current Rank. I ran into some Red Ranks the other day and even though I was faster than them (Killers usually are) they took me to the woodshed. :) So, I think that Rank-2 only has himself to blame for going down.

  • Much appreciated to all of you!

    @calem said:

    Let me explain it for you since you are new. Decisive Strike (abbreviated by the community to DS) is active for 60 seconds after the survivor is unhooked, and it can only be used once per trial per survivor. After 60 seconds, it deactivates and the survivor can't use it. If you literally let them bleed out on the ground for 4 minutes then yes, you did a boring thing and forced them to wait as long as possible before the game was over. After you're sure a minute has passed, pick the survivor up and hook them.

    Holding the game hostage IS a bannable offence, but it's more catered towards survivors who do it by stealthing around everywhere and not doing gens. There's a good reason they have the bleed out timer so killers can't hold the game hostage for too long.

    Don't take it to heart, you're new and understandably don't know how everything works yet, just next time remember DS is only active for 60 seconds as soon as the survivor is unhooked.

    60 seconds after being unhooked? So without recently being hooked, then you can't get hit by DS? *surprised face* :O (me is big dumb, large noob, you be big smart, much skillz, ME THANKZ YOU ALL FOR BIG HELPZ!!!)

  • @Samyrea said:

    Much appreciated to all of you!

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1646868#Comment_1646868

    60 seconds after being unhooked? So without recently being hooked, then you can't get hit by DS? *surprised face* :O (me is big dumb, large noob, you be big smart, much skillz, ME THANKZ YOU ALL FOR BIG HELPZ!!!)

    Welcome to dbd my friend, hope you have a good stay here in the fog and get to know some of us :).

  • Calem is a survivor main clearly. Dont value his input.

  • no this is not taking the game hostage, the only instance of taking the game hostage you will see is not doing gens as survivor and just stealthing or when the killer is stuck because of a bug survivors refusing to escape or do the last gen effectively forcing the killer to quit

  • @timbologna said:

    Calem is a survivor main clearly. Dont value his input.

    Lmao what makes you say this? All I did was explain how DS works. But sure, please assume I main survivor :^)

  • @Samyrea said:

    I'm a fairly new player, main trapper, haven't even maxed him out yet. Rank 11 killer.

    I got matched against a wide variety, rank 18, rank 12, rank 8, and rank 2.

    Near the end of the match, 18 and 8 were dead, and I had the rank 12 and 2 survivors on the run with injuries. I down the 12, and wait for 2 while watching from a hill. Sure enough, 2 comes for 12, and I down 2.

    At this point, I had ben hit by Direct Strike once already in the match by 8. I know there is a timer on DS, but I don't know how long it is, so I left them to die by slugging instead of chancing the DS.

    Rank 2 and 12 both get in post game chat to rage at me for making it boring. Rank 2 even claimed he reported me for "holding the game hostage". A quick google later and I find that this term is used to describe ways of playing that make the game impossible to end, but slugging has a strict timer, so after a couple minutes they both died.

    Is this an actual bannable offense? or just annoying to survivors, so they got butt-hurt about it?

    TL:DR - I slugged the last 2 survivors for the guaranteed win. Is that "holding the game hostage"?

    (P.S. - I can't figure out how to specify where this post should go, so please feel free to redirect my question if it's going to the wrong place)

    Its not banable, like others already mentioned. DS can only hit you for one minute after someone was hooked, others wrote that as well.

    I additionally wanted to point out, in your situation, only two remaining and one slugged, even a DS stun will not really change anything, it just delays the inevitable. So you can just eat it and finish them off.