HELP : Internet Speed for lag free matches (PS4)
Hello people of the fog,
I am a new Dead By Daylight player. I play DBD, but it is kinda laggy. Survivors complain that I lag a lot. And as a survivor I rubberband a lot, too. I have a 10mbps plan, but do not think it is enough after I heard them complain to me and call me noob lag switcher q.q. What plan do you have? What is recommended? Is 100mbps wired broadband connection enough? If so, I will get it right away. Please help. Thanks.
I am a new Dead By Daylight player. I play DBD, but it is kinda laggy. Survivors complain that I lag a lot. And as a survivor I rubberband a lot, too. I have a 10mbps plan, but do not think it is enough after I heard them complain to me and call me noob lag switcher q.q. What plan do you have? What is recommended? Is 100mbps wired broadband connection enough? If so, I will get it right away. Please help. Thanks.
Comments
You need good pings for multiplayer games, internet speeds are completely irrelevant, they only make you download the patches faster.
I have 750 KB/s yes KILOBITS because I am a cheap ######### and use the free internet in my appartment. But due to the fact that its a glasfibre connection, I get 20 ms ping and this is what counts. (Sure I always regret when downloading new games but well....
)
By the way, using a wired connection instead of wifi might improve your stability issues, but I assume it was just another salty survivor accusing you without any reason
10Mbps isn't that much, but it should definitely be enough to play DbD lag-free.
A stable speed is especially important when you're playing killer, because then you'll be hosting the match.
My internet speed is 40Mbps down/4Mbps up, but I never have any lag issues in DbD.
Is your PS4 connected to your router via Wifi or an ethernet cable?
If it is connected via Wifi, consider using an ethernet cable instead. If your PS4 isn't close to your router, consider buying a "powerline adapter", so you can still have a wired connection between PS and router.
PS : Netflix, downloading games and stuff all work perfectly fine on 10mbps, but gaming is nightmare for me now.
Because of the peer to peer nature of the game, if the host (killer) experinces framerate drops, it will cause lag for everyone.
I'm not sure that you are aware that your network packets are processed by the console's CPU. So when the CPU is choking on a poorly optimized game, the network packets go out slower.
Game itself only has to process packets from 4 different sources in between whatever the OS is sending in. So I have my doubts it's your narrow pipeline by itself. However, if you have multiple devices using that same connection, it can't hurt to upgrade.
It's barely enough use wired connection instead of wifi
Your download isnt as much of a factor as you are thinking. 10mg is plenty for this game.
Your upload is just as much of a factor. If youre not sending packets quickly to the host (killer) then your download speed doesnt matter. Essentially, you are moving in your game client, and sending data to the host updating it of your current location. When this data isnt received quickly, you will rubberband around because the server is only getting bits and pieces of “your location” data, thus your quick download speed only serves to quickly bump you around in a messy looking movement pattern.
On most ISPs, your upload is 10% of your download, and often the numbers when tested arent even as high as you pay for. thus your upload speed was less than 1mg, probably about .8 or so. This was likely the cause of your problem. Now that you have 100down / 10up, you are fine, not because the 10down became 100down, but because the 1up became 10up.
I think10mp/s is bare minimum for online gaming. Connect your ps4 using ethernet cable, don't download anything, don't use wifi on any other devices while playing
You could have the best internet on Earth and still lag because the killer is the host of the match. I get a max of 8Mb/s, normally 4Mb/s and it is fine so.
EDIT: Spelling error.
To anyone saying they don't lag on wifi...get a fcking clue! :'D
You spike all the time with your unstable connection. Go away and get an ethernet cable. Immediately.