My Rating Of The Three Biggest Licences In Each Media Category

Its a simple 0 to 10 rating, feel free to disagree and realize I ain´t trying to dog on yall. Please know that I limited each category to at most 3 of the biggest in that category to not make this post bigger than it already is. I also feel the need to clarify that this is NOT about the likely hood of them getting in, rather what the communities feelings about them are.

Movie Licences

F13: A constant talking point, you see Jason mentioned everywhere. However there are quite a few people with concerns of Jason being too samey or just outright being boring. Score: 9

IT: Another big name here we have IT. Some people have raised concerns over Pennywise´s power and ability but most believe it can be pulled off well. Score: 9 (PS, I do know it was originally a book, but most of us know it from the movie)

Candy Man: A big name among horror fans no doubt. Many seem to want him in. However he struggles quite a bit with recognition, hes more akin to icons like PH and Demo rather than Freddy and Myers in terms of recognition. Score: 7

Video Games

Outlast: One of the modern horror franchises, outlast has plenty of potential killers and survivors, like Silent Hill. Score: 7

Resident Evil: Probably the biggest video game horror franchises, resident evil has shown itself very much worthy of a chapter. Score: 8

FNAF: The elephant in the room, FNAF is easily the most controversial licence here. A poll a while back had around 200 people on it and was literally split down the middle in terms of how people felt. Unfortunately that user was banned and had they´re post history wiped so I can´t see it. Score: 5

Other Big Licences That aren´t in either Movies Or Video Games.

Other Stephen King creations: While King has created many iconic works throughout the years, most people seem to agree that the best for DBD is IT. Score: 6

SCP: My bias is showing a little here. While SCP is generally well liked, it suffers heavily from recognition and the sheer amount of stuff to do with it. Score: 6

Slender: Probably the most iconic horror character not from a movie. There is plenty the devs could draw from. Problem is the movie bombed and theres not much else happening for him Score: 7

Was this accurate?

Comments

  • @SCP_FOR_DBD said:

    Its a simple 0 to 10 rating, feel free to disagree and realize I ain´t trying to dog on yall. Please know that I limited each category to at most 3 of the biggest in that category to not make this post bigger than it already is. I also feel the need to clarify that this is NOT about the likely hood of them getting in, rather what the communities feelings about them are.

    Movie Licences

    F13: A constant talking point, you see Jason mentioned everywhere. However there are quite a few people with concerns of Jason being too samey or just outright being boring. Score: 9

    IT: Another big name here we have IT. Some people have raised concerns over Pennywise´s power and ability but most believe it can be pulled off well. Score: 9 (PS, I do know it was originally a book, but most of us know it from the movie)

    Candy Man: A big name among horror fans no doubt. Many seem to want him in. However he struggles quite a bit with recognition, hes more akin to icons like PH and Demo rather than Freddy and Myers in terms of recognition. Score: 7

    Video Games

    Outlast: One of the modern horror franchises, outlast has plenty of potential killers and survivors, like Silent Hill. Score: 7

    Resident Evil: Probably the biggest video game horror franchises, resident evil has shown itself very much worthy of a chapter. Score: 8

    FNAF: The elephant in the room, FNAF is easily the most controversial licence here. A poll a while back had around 200 people on it and was literally split down the middle in terms of how people felt. Unfortunately that user was banned and had they´re post history wiped so I can´t see it. Score: 5

    Other Big Licences That aren´t in either Movies Or Video Games.

    Other Stephen King creations: While King has created many iconic works throughout the years, most people seem to agree that the best for DBD is IT. Score: 6

    SCP: My bias is showing a little here. While SCP is generally well liked, it suffers heavily from recognition and the sheer amount of stuff to do with it. Score: 6

    Slender: Probably the most iconic horror character not from a movie. There is plenty the devs could draw from. Problem is the movie bombed and theres not much else happening for him Score: 7

    Was this accurate?

    why was the poll dude banned

  • I would die laughing if they ever used Slenderman--I'm an old person and I very clearly remember the SomethingAwful forums thread where he was invented. I cannot get over the fact that people take it seriously as a scary story now.

  • Not sure, he was always pretty defensive so I could see him saying the wrong thing and getting the hammer because of it. Thats just speculation though so take it with a grain of salt.

  • @mintchapstick said:

    I would die laughing if they ever used Slenderman--I'm an old person and I very clearly remember the SomethingAwful forums thread where he was invented. I cannot get over the fact that people take it seriously as a scary story now.

    He does play on a lot of peoples fears of stuff like the uncanny valley and unknown. He is pretty silly now though.

  • I certainly think Hellraiser/Pinhead easily beats out Candyman. It's a much bigger franchise, much more recognisable, and has better potential for a power.

    Stephen King also has Carrie which gets brought up every so often. People seem to want the Shining but I can't think of a more boring movie nor a less power-worthy horror villain.

    SCP is not "generally well liked," it's "generally not known." It's an incredibly niche license, and has issues with licensing. Considering most of it is just a paragraph of creepypasta, the devs are better off making their own killers than paying anything for them.

  • Movie licenses:

    F13: 3/10. Jason is the most bland killer in horror history and the movies are boring and repetitive, a camp crystal lake map would be cool though.

    IT: 9/10. The only reason it isn't a 10, is because I would rather have the dark tower or the stand. Pennywise and a sewer map would be absolutely amazing, the books and movies are amazing and instantly recognizable as well.

    Candyman: 5/10. Tony Todd is a great actor, but the movie was very, very tedious to me. I like the concept of a hook handed killer, but the movie bored me too much.

    Video game licenses: the only one I know is fnaf.

    Fnaf: 0/10. What can I say? It's the most cheap, bland, and by the numbers horror game out there, that relies heavily on jumpscares, with a overly convoluted lore.

    other:

    More Stephen King licenses: 10/10. So much options, the dark tower, the shining, doctor sleep, the stand, the outsider etc. I think these could work better than IT.

    SCP: 9/10. I love SCP, but some of the creatures are just dumb, like a soda can, really? Anyways, the shy guy, the old man and the plague doctor are all pretty well written and could fit into this game.

    Slender: 9/10. The only "creepypasta" that seems well written and interesting. I don't know why I want him so much, but they could do so much with his power.

  • @CalamityJane said:

    I certainly think Hellraiser/Pinhead easily beats out Candyman. It's a much bigger franchise, much more recognisable, and has better potential for a power.

    Stephen King also has Carrie which gets brought up every so often. People seem to want the Shining but I can't think of a more boring movie nor a less power-worthy horror villain.

    SCP is not "generally well liked," it's "generally not known." It's an incredibly niche license, and has issues with licensing. Considering most of it is just a paragraph of creepypasta, the devs are better off making their own killers than paying anything for them.

    I put Candyman over Hell Raiser because its been brought up far more by the community, thus making it currently the bigger licence though, It was almost put in though. Carrie is part of the other king works section. You are literally the only person Ive seen react negatively towards SCP, everyone else either has no feelings for it or is a fan of it. I also could not fine a better candidate for the third spot of its section. And I did list it not being very well known as its big down side.

  • @SCP_FOR_DBD said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1619516#Comment_1619516

    I put Candyman over Hell Raiser because its been brought up far more by the community, thus making it currently the bigger licence though, It was almost put in though. Carrie is part of the other king works section. You are literally the only person Ive seen react negatively towards SCP, everyone else either has no feelings for it or is a fan of it. I also could not fine a better candidate for the third spot of its section. And I did list it not being very well known as its big down side.

    Most recognisable Stephen King works fit under "movies," Slender is well known as a "game." The entire "other" section was just a weak way to shoehorn SCP in.

  • @CalamityJane said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1619534#Comment_1619534

    Most recognisable Stephen King works fit under "movies," Slender is well known as a "game." The entire "other" section was just a weak way to shoehorn SCP in.

    No, Stephen King works fit under other licenses, because they are books.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1619550#Comment_1619550

    No, Stephen King works fit under other licenses, because they are books.

    Yeah because if they get the license to Carrie they aren't going to go for Sissy Spacek or Chloe Grace Moretz's likenesses, or Jack Nicholson for the Shining, or Bill Skarsgard for It.

    The licenses worth getting have all been adapted as films, and that's where the vast majority of people will recognise them from.

  • @CalamityJane said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1619534#Comment_1619534

    Most recognisable Stephen King works fit under "movies," Slender is well known as a "game." The entire "other" section was just a weak way to shoehorn SCP in.

    It really wasn´t, most of kings works are as well known as books as they are movies, So they are in other. I felt IT should get its own section and movies fit the best. Slender originated in writing, got his abilities from a web series, got popular off of games, and died because of a movie. Hence the other category.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    Movie licenses:

    F13: 3/10. Jason is the most bland killer in horror history and the movies are boring and repetitive, a camp crystal lake map would be cool though.

    IT: 9/10. The only reason it isn't a 10, is because I would rather have the dark tower or the stand. Pennywise and a sewer map would be absolutely amazing, the books and movies are amazing and instantly recognizable as well.

    Candyman: 5/10. Tony Todd is a great actor, but the movie was very, very tedious to me. I like the concept of a hook handed killer, but the movie bored me too much.

    Video game licenses: the only one I know is fnaf.

    Fnaf: 0/10. What can I say? It's the most cheap, bland, and by the numbers horror game out there, that relies heavily on jumpscares, with a overly convoluted lore.

    other:

    More Stephen King licenses: 10/10. So much options, the dark tower, the shining, doctor sleep, the stand, the outsider etc. I think these could work better than IT.

    SCP: 9/10. I love SCP, but some of the creatures are just dumb, like a soda can, really? Anyways, the shy guy, the old man and the plague doctor are all pretty well written and could fit into this game.

    Slender: 9/10. The only "creepypasta" that seems well written and interesting. I don't know why I want him so much, but they could do so much with his power.

    Slenderman always felt like one of those urban legends to me, like when you visit a certain place and you see all that folklore about creatures. His design to me was just unnerving and mysterious enough to be effective as an actual monster. They also didn't include any of that "Hyper realistic blood" crap that stuff like Sonic.exe did. Also, I'm genuinely curious here but what are your thoughts on the dark tower movie?

  • @SCP_FOR_DBD said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1619519#Comment_1619519

    Slenderman always felt like one of those urban legends to me, like when you visit a certain place and you see all that folklore about creatures. His design to me was just unnerving and mysterious enough to be effective as an actual monster. They also didn't include any of that "Hyper realistic blood" crap that stuff like Sonic.exe did. Also, I'm genuinely curious here but what are your thoughts on the dark tower movie?

    I Hate the dark tower movie. All of the dark tower books together are over 4000 pages, and they make a movie an hour and a half long that was completely unfaithful to the books. The man in black wasn't scary in the movie, he seemed extremely corny. Idris Elba was a good roland. The dark tower movie is barely about the dark tower itself as well. I hate it, and I'm excited when an actual TV show gets made to do it justice.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1619781#Comment_1619781

    I Hate the dark tower movie. All of the dark tower books together are over 4000 pages, and they make a movie an hour and a half long that was completely unfaithful to the books. The man in black wasn't scary in the movie, he seemed extremely corny. Idris Elba was a good roland. The dark tower movie is barely about the dark tower itself as well. I hate it, and I'm excited when an actual TV show gets made to do it justice.

    Thats good to know lmao.