This *Cannot* Be Normal, Can It?

So yes, from my previous thread apparently there is no Killer matchmaking at present. But still, there has to be something to prevent matchups like this or at least throw us aspiring Killers a bone? Maybe some extra bloodpoints when the rank delta is this big.

3 of them were in a group, by the way.

FYI, I had to use every nasty, sleazy, cheesy tactic I could think of to kill two of them, and that was only after they started teabagging me from behind palettes.

Keep in mind that I've been playing for a grand sum of 3 days...and this isn't even the top 5 least fair matchups I've had today :'(

Yeah, I know, QQMOAR - but feeling a bit crushed right now. This is not atypical either.

this is fine.JPG


Comments

  • That's unfortunately 'normal'. as 'skill based matchmaking' is off atm, we're back to the '6 ranks apart is fair'... (which usually ends up as 'each player can be a base for the calculation, not just the killer'...)

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    That's unfortunately 'normal'. as 'skill based matchmaking' is off atm, we're back to the '6 ranks apart is fair'... (which usually ends up as 'each player can be a base for the calculation, not just the killer'...)

    Thing is - this wasn't a few mates chumming up to test some new survivors. This was clearly a very coordinated squad - to the degree they'd perfectly time bodyblocking to stall out hangs.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1617728#Comment_1617728

    Thing is - this wasn't a few mates chumming up to test some new survivors. This was clearly a very coordinated squad - to the degree they'd perfectly time bodyblocking to stall out hangs.

    yeah, the current matchmaking doesn't care, unfortunately.

    It just checks what ranks people are and searches within that range.

    for example: if person A is rank 10 and in a group with a rank 4, the game will search for others between rank 1-16.

    and by observation it can even mean that if A and B load into a lobby with a level 14, person D and E might end up rank 20

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1617737#Comment_1617737

    yeah, the current matchmaking doesn't care, unfortunately.

    It just checks what ranks people are and searches within that range.

    for example: if person A is rank 10 and in a group with a rank 4, the game will search for others between rank 1-16.

    and by observation it can even mean that if A and B load into a lobby with a level 14, person D and E might end up rank 20

    I wish I could play against someone under rank 8. Cannot think of the last game that happened.

    And this isn't me being good - I suck at this. This is me grimly slogging away because I spent a few bucks on this and considering just throwing the towel in.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1617739#Comment_1617739

    I wish I could play against someone under rank 8. Cannot think of the last game that happened.

    And this isn't me being good - I suck at this. This is me grimly slogging away because I spent a few bucks on this and considering just throwing the towel in.

    only thing I can advice is to keep trying. Sometimes trying to signal the survivors as killer that you want to mess around a bit helps (if they join in). gives one time to practice a little. (i mean, I once had some groups that let me use them for target practice as Deathslinger...)

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1617739#Comment_1617739

    I wish I could play against someone under rank 8. Cannot think of the last game that happened.

    And this isn't me being good - I suck at this. This is me grimly slogging away because I spent a few bucks on this and considering just throwing the towel in.

    Well I'm just gonna say to keep going. Sure, you had to sweat your arse off, but you still killed 2 of em. That's a ######### achievement and you should be proud.

    Unfortunately, this is the current normal, however I guess the plus side is that you'll improve quicker?

    I really hope you find some better matches man, specially since you've only been playing 3 days. If you want some help I'd suggest looking up some guides on YouTube on how to play certain killers or run tiles effectively, it's actually really helpful.

    Also the fact you have Overcharge unlocked makes me think you've got Doctor and his teachables. On Hag, I'd strongly suggest Monior and Abuse, especially if you don't have any slowdown perks (no, overcharge doesn't count, and I can see why you wouldn't want to use ruin).

  • Pairings for Red ranks survivor is rank 20 killers and above.

    Pairings for Green rank Killers are Red ranks survivors and below.

    That's been my experience in a nutshell.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1617745#Comment_1617745

    Well I'm just gonna say to keep going. Sure, you had to sweat your arse off, but you still killed 2 of em. That's a ######### achievement and you should be proud.

    Unfortunately, this is the current normal, however I guess the plus side is that you'll improve quicker?

    I really hope you find some better matches man, specially since you've only been playing 3 days. If you want some help I'd suggest looking up some guides on YouTube on how to play certain killers or run tiles effectively, it's actually really helpful.

    Also the fact you have Overcharge unlocked makes me think you've got Doctor and his teachables. On Hag, I'd strongly suggest Monior and Abuse, especially if you don't have any slowdown perks (no, overcharge doesn't count, and I can see why you wouldn't want to use ruin).

    I tried using Ruin for a day (using Hag now - not enjoying her at all) and not a single game went by where it lasted more than 5 minutes. Ditto her other hexes. Hence Overcharge.

    Can't enjoy myself at all, so just grinding out the teachables I want. Its not fun and I can see...maybe 2 or 3 more days until I just shut down and go back to playing Marvel.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1617757#Comment_1617757

    I tried using Ruin for a day (using Hag now - not enjoying her at all) and not a single game went by where it lasted more than 5 minutes. Ditto her other hexes. Hence Overcharge.

    Can't enjoy myself at all, so just grinding out the teachables I want. Its not fun and I can see...maybe 2 or 3 more days until I just shut down and go back to playing Marvel.

    First thing to do then, before grinding teachables, is to find the one killer you like even slightly more than the others from who you have unlocked. For me right now, it's Nurse and Pyramid Head, but it could be Wraith or Trapper or Doctor or whoever. They're the people you'll wanna focus on because they give you the most amount of fun.

    Also hexes making it 5 minutes is a miracle, usually they're gone in about 18 seconds lol.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1617767#Comment_1617767

    First thing to do then, before grinding teachables, is to find the one killer you like even slightly more than the others from who you have unlocked. For me right now, it's Nurse and Pyramid Head, but it could be Wraith or Trapper or Doctor or whoever. They're the people you'll wanna focus on because they give you the most amount of fun.

    Also hexes making it 5 minutes is a miracle, usually they're gone in about 18 seconds lol.

    I'd love that, but currently I'm not really having fun on anyone. Hence me going 'well, I might as well grind this out'.

    By this I mean, I feel equally as useless and bullied on every killer I've tried. Except Bubba, but then I basically have to camp.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1617771#Comment_1617771

    I'd love that, but currently I'm not really having fun on anyone. Hence me going 'well, I might as well grind this out'.

    By this I mean, I feel equally as useless and bullied on every killer I've tried. Except Bubba, but then I basically have to camp.

    If you want some tips or tricks to some killers let me know and I can gladly try and help out man :)

    DBD isn't a new player friendly game, so all I can really say is to just stick with it, grin, and bear it. Mix it up with some survivor gameplay too so you can get bullied, tunneled, and facecamped as well; add some variety to your frustration.

    And if you do decide the game ain't for you, then that's unfortunate but it can't be helped. I hope that whatever game you do play you'll have fun in.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1617777#Comment_1617777

    If you want some tips or tricks to some killers let me know and I can gladly try and help out man :)

    DBD isn't a new player friendly game, so all I can really say is to just stick with it, grin, and bear it. Mix it up with some survivor gameplay too so you can get bullied, tunneled, and facecamped as well; add some variety to your frustration.

    And if you do decide the game ain't for you, then that's unfortunate but it can't be helped. I hope that whatever game you do play you'll have fun in.

    Okay, a few questions (as in: how do I counter this?)

    • Survivors stall out the character selection, and change to 4 Morels with toolboxes at the absolute last second. Or just switch to double flashlights when I'm Hag.
    • Multiple Morels with toolkits, doing (see below)
    • A group of 3 survivors sticking together and moving from generator to generator, with 1 person on permanent lookout for me.
    • Whatever the hell 'Decisive Strike' is...
    • Survivors who use the 'hooks are much further away thing' and bring along 3 hook disassembly things. That's why I have Iron Grasp by the way - keep seeing it.
  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1617782#Comment_1617782

    Okay, a few questions (as in: how do I counter this?)

    • Survivors stall out the character selection, and change to 4 Morels with toolboxes at the absolute last second. Or just switch to double flashlights when I'm Hag.
    • Multiple Morels with toolkits, doing (see below)
    • A group of 3 survivors sticking together and moving from generator to generator, with 1 person on permanent lookout for me.
    • Whatever the hell 'Decisive Strike' is...
    • Survivors who use the 'hooks are much further away thing' and bring along 3 hook disassembly things. That's why I have Iron Grasp by the way - keep seeing it.

    ayo sorry for the delay

    Survivors stall out the character selection, and change to 4 Morels with toolboxes at the absolute last second. Or just switch to double flashlights when I'm Hag.

    This one doesn't really have a counter (except to go into task manager, shut down the game, and try and re-que). If survivors do this, they're just a bit pissy ngl. Depending on when they switch to double beamer, you could have time to dodge the lobby properly though. The thing I do is just grin and bear it, and thankfully a lot less survivors I've seen have been doing this now.

    Multiple Morels with toolkits

    There's a perk from Bubba called Franklin's Demise which, after 130/110/90 seconds from them being hit, yeets their item into oblivion. It can help stall the game- they're not doing gens if they're getting their item- or just deletes the item from the game. There's also Overwhelming Presence from Doctor, although that perk is #########. Franklin's is the one to go for, definitely.

    A group of 3 survivors sticking together and moving from generator to generator, with 1 person on permanent lookout for me.

    This is actually an incredibly ineffecient way to play as survivor; sure someone is on lookout but you start approaching and that means all four survivors are no longer doing a generator, at which point you play a bit of defence and hit them all, getting them away from that generator and leaving them all to have to heal, wasting time, or making them easier to chase. The perk Sloppy Butcher (which you should see in your bloodweb as soon as you just level killers, since it's a universal perk) helps by slowing healing time by 4 seconds, from 16 to 20. Doesn't sound like much, but trust me, it adds up quickly.

    Whatever the hell 'Decisive Strike' is...

    Decisive Strike is a survivor teachable perk, unlockable from Laurie Stroke at level 40. The simple version of what it does is this:

    After being unhooked, or unhooking yourself, Decisive Strike (DS) activates for the next 40/50/60 seconds. During this time, if you are picked up or grabbed by the killer, the survivor is faced with a skill check. Hitting that skillcheck will free the survivor from the killer's grasp, and stun the killer in place for 5 seconds (although this is bugged on a couple killers right now). The survivor who hits you with DS becomes your obsession, and the perk deactivates for the entirety of the trial. ("Simple" lol).

    How I counter it is through what's known as "Slugging", leaving survivors in the Dying State instead of picking them up to generate map pressure. I go chase someone else and let them just sit there and bleed. Alternatively, I make a note of who's been on the hook recently and I just don't chase them, and go for someone else. I very rarely get hit with a DS unless a survivor forces me to grab them, and when I do I've already won the game and they can't pull it back no matter how hard they try.

    Survivors who use the 'hooks are much further away thing' and bring along 3 hook disassembly things.

    As mentioned before, Franklin's can help if they're sabotaging with a toolbox (by the way, "hook disassembly" is known as Sabotaging hooks). If they're using the perk Saboteur, it can only be triggered once every 60 seconds. I like to fake going to one hook then go to another, forcing them to waste their perk. Alternatively, I play the killer Pyramid Head, or The Executioner frequently, and part of his kit is to be able to ignore hooks and send people to a Cage Of Atonement, so I guess I've just kinda learned to drop, cage, chase.

    Another thing to do is, like countering DS, just slug them. Leave them on the ground, or if they're in your arms drop them. Chase the person who sabotaged. If you have to, leave everyone dying on the ground, get a 4-man slug, then continue hooking people. It's kinda boring, but at times can be hilarious (and survivors get very very salty, which makes me very very happy).


    I hope I could help; good luck out there in the fog :)

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1617803#Comment_1617803

    ayo sorry for the delay

    Survivors stall out the character selection, and change to 4 Morels with toolboxes at the absolute last second. Or just switch to double flashlights when I'm Hag.

    This one doesn't really have a counter (except to go into task manager, shut down the game, and try and re-que). If survivors do this, they're just a bit pissy ngl. Depending on when they switch to double beamer, you could have time to dodge the lobby properly though. The thing I do is just grin and bear it, and thankfully a lot less survivors I've seen have been doing this now.

    Multiple Morels with toolkits

    There's a perk from Bubba called Franklin's Demise which, after 130/110/90 seconds from them being hit, yeets their item into oblivion. It can help stall the game- they're not doing gens if they're getting their item- or just deletes the item from the game. There's also Overwhelming Presence from Doctor, although that perk is #########. Franklin's is the one to go for, definitely.

    A group of 3 survivors sticking together and moving from generator to generator, with 1 person on permanent lookout for me.

    This is actually an incredibly ineffecient way to play as survivor; sure someone is on lookout but you start approaching and that means all four survivors are no longer doing a generator, at which point you play a bit of defence and hit them all, getting them away from that generator and leaving them all to have to heal, wasting time, or making them easier to chase. The perk Sloppy Butcher (which you should see in your bloodweb as soon as you just level killers, since it's a universal perk) helps by slowing healing time by 4 seconds, from 16 to 20. Doesn't sound like much, but trust me, it adds up quickly.

    Whatever the hell 'Decisive Strike' is...

    Decisive Strike is a survivor teachable perk, unlockable from Laurie Stroke at level 40. The simple version of what it does is this:

    After being unhooked, or unhooking yourself, Decisive Strike (DS) activates for the next 40/50/60 seconds. During this time, if you are picked up or grabbed by the killer, the survivor is faced with a skill check. Hitting that skillcheck will free the survivor from the killer's grasp, and stun the killer in place for 5 seconds (although this is bugged on a couple killers right now). The survivor who hits you with DS becomes your obsession, and the perk deactivates for the entirety of the trial. ("Simple" lol).

    How I counter it is through what's known as "Slugging", leaving survivors in the Dying State instead of picking them up to generate map pressure. I go chase someone else and let them just sit there and bleed. Alternatively, I make a note of who's been on the hook recently and I just don't chase them, and go for someone else. I very rarely get hit with a DS unless a survivor forces me to grab them, and when I do I've already won the game and they can't pull it back no matter how hard they try.

    Survivors who use the 'hooks are much further away thing' and bring along 3 hook disassembly things.

    As mentioned before, Franklin's can help if they're sabotaging with a toolbox (by the way, "hook disassembly" is known as Sabotaging hooks). If they're using the perk Saboteur, it can only be triggered once every 60 seconds. I like to fake going to one hook then go to another, forcing them to waste their perk. Alternatively, I play the killer Pyramid Head, or The Executioner frequently, and part of his kit is to be able to ignore hooks and send people to a Cage Of Atonement, so I guess I've just kinda learned to drop, cage, chase.

    Another thing to do is, like countering DS, just slug them. Leave them on the ground, or if they're in your arms drop them. Chase the person who sabotaged. If you have to, leave everyone dying on the ground, get a 4-man slug, then continue hooking people. It's kinda boring, but at times can be hilarious (and survivors get very very salty, which makes me very very happy).

    I hope I could help; good luck out there in the fog :)

    Thanks, this is excellent advice.

  • I have to ask you do have crossplay on correct?

  • @RizeAki said:

    I have to ask you do have crossplay on correct?

    Yes, I do.

  • That’s odd then cuz I haven’t run into that sort of thing playing either side I thought maybe the crossplay would have fixed it

  • @RizeAki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1618693#Comment_1618693

    That’s odd then cuz I haven’t run into that sort of thing playing either side I thought maybe the crossplay would have fixed it

    A dev said in another thread that matchmaking has been disabled for killers.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1618699#Comment_1618699

    A dev said in another thread that matchmaking has been disabled for killers.

    Really can you link it here? Only thing I ever heard was mmr was turned off and old matchmaking was turned back on

  • Oh no you misunderstood “killer specific” matchmaking is off meaning all killers have the same matchmaking currently so if you are trying to play a new killer it will be very hard cuz you will get players in your range or above on whatever killer you played before