Chapter 17 Conspiracy Theory
Before we begin I just wanna make clear that this a conspiracy, it is wayyy more likely this is all just circumstantial and doesn't mean anything. With that being said, lets get started.
What if chapter 17 was originally going to be licensed? To start, we have no new map at all, and instead we got the first part of the graphical update. The three maps in the graphical update were Badham, Yamoaka Estate, and Haddonfield. Of which we saw all three in the 4 year anniversary live stream, its not like they were small parts either, they covered large portions of the map and seemed very close to the ones we have now, so what exactly happened in those 3 months before this new chapter? Could they have been working on the new map but licensing issues prevented them?
And how about the leaks that said the chapter was going to be licensed? The devs used the licensed killer format instead of the unlicensed format, and switched it at the last minute. They've never done that before and all it did was get peoples hopes up.
Lets look at the other parts of the chapter. Blight specifically. Hes a pre existing character, so I'd imagine most of his lore would already be done or at least thought of. How about his power? Its another movement power, very similar to other killers. Its not necessarily fitting either for an alchemist is it? How about the perks? They are all very simple in nature and the ones that aren't all take from other perks. Visionary is basically Deja Vu and Dragons Grip is if Make Your Choice was applied to gens.
How about the timing? The chapter before this was licensed, looking at our order of killers it went like so. Michael, Break, Bubba Freddy and Pig, break, Ash Ghost Face and Demo, Break, PH, Break. That means this is the first time we've gotten only one licensed killer since Michael. All the way back in 2016 when the devs were still figuring out how to deal with licensed content in the first place. (Bill is weird since he was the first paragraph and was only for steam)
All of these factors make me think that something might be up, I don't think this is 100% definitely a thing that happened. But I think its something to consider. What do you guys think? Am I reading into this way too much or might I be onto something?
Comments
I think the only detail that hinted the next killer to be licensed is the price. 500 auric cells only and no iri shards. This has been used to differentiate between licensed and non licensed killers for the longest time and the devs might have caught up to it at this point. It doesn't seem to take long to allow the killer to be bought with iri shards. I mean, if you look at mobile, you can't buy oni or yui for 7 days or so with iri shards so I don't think it's difficult to change that code at a later date.
But I have to say, devs have said they would be working on 2-3 DLCs at a time and they might overlap so it's possible that it could have been licensed but switched at the last minute. But there's no definitive proof of any licensed character coming to DBD.
What is there to apologize for? I love that image.
I had my suspicions that Blight & Felix were not intended for release till Chapter 18 too.
To push the conspiracy theoryeven further, have you ever wondered if the devs play against Candyman, Jason, Alien, Jaws and Chucky in their dinner hour? If they manage to get the licences, they release them.
I would wait until the chapter is released and see how rushed the new Killer and Survivor feel, one of the things that makes me believe PH was released as a last minute change is how rushed the whole SH chapter felt with a Killer that needed a change after one month, a poorly designed map with several huge bugs (like Hatch spawming behind impassable barriers) and a bunch of useless perks.
The Auric Cells thing in the store does raise some questions.
This chapter stricked me as extremely rushed from the first moment they opened the PTB but I don't really know why.
Maybe it's the killer's design and power that seem kinda meh, the lack of a new map, the lack of overall hype around this chapter even from the devs themselves... don't really know. Feels more like a paragraph than a full chapter to me.
Counter point:
There were no map leaks. typically we get leaks of map codenames or layout (e.g. midwich we knew would have 2 floors from a leak). This speaks to there never having been a map intended for this chapter
The alchemist has clearly been an ambition for the team for at least a year, given how much of his lore was sprinkled through the archives and the events. I'm sure they have been working on him for at least that long. his movement and power make sense if you consider that he went from flower to flower collecting serum in the lore, much like a bee, and his movement kinda reflects that to me
for BHVR to have released a licensed killer, survivor, and map from another gaming company there had to have been a significant amount of negotiation and contractual points to work out, which means that license was a big deal and they wouldn't want to immediately overshadow it with another license