PS4 Review : A New Player Perspective
I received DBD on PS4 free with a playstation subscription. Before then, I don't remember ever hearing about the game. I am a horror fan, so I was extremely interested in getting into the game.
Initially, the game had a horror feel. As a survivor, with barely any perks, add-ons, or experience, there was a huge thrill at being chased, some very memorable moments. As a killer, it was just as thrilling to find a survivor and chase them down. Thank you for that, it was very well done.
A few unfortunate things happened after some time. Playing as survivor, I noticed many killers would chase me down and hook me, then stare at me and hit me over and over until I died. It was actually a bit entertaining at first, until I realized that I had just spent most of the game doing nothing. If someone else was hooked, and camped, I was able to do gens and leave without actually enjoying any other content. It was a bit depressing, and happened often. I am currently Rank 9 I believe on survivor.
Many of the perks for survivor seemed to have a lot of potential for doing things outside of generators and saving hooked survivors ie saboteur and boil over. They didn't actually allow me to change much of what I was doing in the game since it didn't alter the game much. Hooks repaired quickly, and all it really did was force the real objectives to be slower. So with all the focus on running from killer and doing generators, it felt a bit short on content. I don't enjoy playing survivor anymore, it feels too simplistic goal-wise, and the perks don't feel like justifying leveling each survivor up for them.
Killer was addicting at first! Lots of varied abilities, perks, and add-ons. I still love to try out the different perk combinations on different killers. It feels like there is a lot more room on killer side to experiment. The only exception being that some perks feel necessary. Mainly I am talking about BBQ and Chili. When I am looking at perks to slot, it is nearly impossible for me to not use it above all else.
The biggest issue I have with being killer, is the toxicity. I started receiving messages from survivors almost every other game. Once, I hooked a survivor and saw 2 other people farther out with bbq and chili... I assumed one was hiding close by so i checked the closets. After two closet checks, the guy attempted to get off the hook quickly and no struggle died. He sent me a 15 second voice text to tell me that "I had bbq and chili and should have known all 3 were far away, and I suck."
Other times when I was trying out nurse for the first few times, I could barely get any hits. When the exit gates were open, I had people wait until I reach the exit gates and sit by the exit and "teabag", then message me about how bad I was. Another time, some people opened the exit gates then went back into the map and hid. After about 5 minutes I disconnected and received 2 messages "wow, really?" and "Derank quickly".
When I first played Leatherface, I had insidious. At first, it felt alot like how leatherface should be played, I was able to get tons of basement kills and it was a bit thrilling to do every once in awhile. Almost every game I did that, I received messages of being a ######### killer, #########. I had to turn off messages, not only is it depressing but I have kids that use the PS4 and just old enough to read, those messages are so toxic I would hate for my kid to have to process why someone was being that way.
I really enjoy playing nurse now, but the game is starting to lose my interest quickly because of the senseless extended games of people that refuse to leave when the exit gates are open, which I would say is the biggest problem I have faced generally. There has also been various places where Nurse blink doesn't work and can be extremely frustrating.
Overall, I am happy I have DBD and I am thankful this game exists. It seems like most of the problem is player community based and I still enjoy playing, although it doesn't have the thrill it did at first.
Comments
We definitely need a surrender option for Killers to end the game like in Identity V should survivors refuse to leave after exit gates are opened, or if the last survivor did nothing but hiding for minutes