What is more important, fix matchmaking & Queues or any other problem with the game?

For me, near the east coast in the USA, it typically takes 10 minutes to get a killer game. Typically as a brown, green or purple rank killer, I generally get purple and red rank survivors.

Survivor typically takes 2-5 minutes to get a game. As a red rank survivor, I get a mixed bag of gold, green and red rank killers as Solo or full SWF. This is all generally any time between 7am and 12am; any day of the week.

The player count of this game hasn't significantly changed in 2-3 years (although the quality of player has). Two years ago queue's were reasonable and matchmaking was at least decent the majority of the time. Queue's are horrible and matchmaking is a joke the majority of the time and has been since dedicated servers. The only exception to this was when Ruin was changed and you had a "killer strike" for a couple months. During that time survivor queue's were 10 minutes and killer was almost instant.

Do you feel this the most important thing to fix or are one of the bazillion other issues with this game more important?

It's one thing to have a broken game, it's another to wait forever to play a broken game.

I'm curious if this is the number one gripe amongst the player base or if others find other issues to be more important.

Comments

  • Server side hit validation is top priority imo. Yes new and working matchmaking with low queue times would be awesome but that won't help much when you are against people with close to 200ms ping.

  • @hahadrillgobrrr said:

    Server side hit validation is top priority imo. Yes new and working matchmaking with low queue times would be awesome but that won't help much when you are against people with close to 200ms ping.

    Thank you for your input. As stated, I'm honestly curious to see if I'm in the minority or majority with my gripe.

  • @CotJocky said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1455840#Comment_1455840

    Thank you for your input. As stated, I'm honestly curious to see if I'm in the minority or majority with my gripe.

    I'm actually interested as well to see what people think about this.

  • Queues and matchmaking are important but the game needs to be balanced first. This will be done when the developers implement VOIP into the game and balance it as if it were a single game instead of two. Matchmaking would be the next big fix. They need REAL matchmaking with an MMR system, statistics, playback options etc. Each killer gets their own MMR accordingly. Queue's will balance themselves.

  • There is blatantly not a fix for bad matchmaking. As long as SWF can contain a rank 1 and a rank 20, there'll never be a balance where both the killer and the survivors are happy. And rank in and of itself is worthless anyway. Everyone reaches rank 1 quickly, it's about how much you play not how well you play, anyone can be lower rank just by not playing one side as often and getting rank reset down. It means that just in red ranks you're as likely to have potato teammates as you are elite players, and pretending that just having matching rank colours means 'balanced matchmaking' is a joke.

  • Mm is so bad that I got used to it, it's something that I don't care about anymore.

    First of all balance.

  • Once upon a time, it actually took effort to become red rank. I won't say it was super hard, but it wasn't as easy as it is now.

    Two years ago, you got matched with the appropriate "rank". Yes, people de-ranked intentionally and unintentionally by taking breaks from the game. Yes, low ranked players had to play people who were not truly "low rank" on occasion, but matchmaking would rarely just blatantly stick you with people that were way more skilled (per rank) than you.Yes, you would get SWF that was a mixed bag of ranks, but matchmaking would try to split the difference and pick a killer rank accordingly due to that average. A MMR (if done correctly; which I will believe it when I see it) would resolve this issue if the player base is big enough to allow people to be matched correctly, in a timely manner and with decent ping. But there is no reason why after years of the matchmaking working as most people imagined it should work, would all of a sudden go to crap once the dedicated servers were released. Why would the algorithm for matchmaking be any different because of dedicated servers? Why has it been almost a year and they still can't fix that? Why were matches quick 2 years ago, but now have super long queue's when it once wasn't like that?

    I see "balance" mentioned a lot. The game is currently more balanced than it has ever been, especially for killer. Personally, I think lots of the "clutch" plays are what made the game fun and appealing. Removing all the fun stuff for balances' sake just makes the game more and more boring. The game still only has one mode after 4 years. I'm not about making it more repetitive and dull than it already is. Gens go super fast if you can't exert pressure and some killers are able to exert so much pressure that it is just a slaughter and that in of itself is zero fun to me as a survivor. Even when I suffer the horrible queue's and play killer and get a potato team I can dominate, that is super boring to me as well. Getting dominated by the flashlight squad over and over again is zero fun either and that is where MMR comes into play. Games are most fun when both sides are evenly matched so that it can be challenging. I personally don't think the game will ever be truly balanced, but changes to stop abuse of different things are good. Trying to shore up some of the "infinite loops" were and still are needed. A major roadblock to "balancing" the game is that some killers are highly mobile and some are not. Some are able to exert map pressure easier than others. Unless we are going to give all non-mobile killers Freddy teleport powers, no balancing is going to make all killers equal. I've seen numerous really, really good killers that could dominate the high majority of their opponents using any killer. Most of them play in way to what most people would find "un-fun" because they proximity camp and slug to get it done in certain cases. DBD was never meant to be and will never be MLG gaming. Wanting it to be CSGO kind of balance is never going to happen. Tons of things about the game depends on RNG and you can never really be "balanced" due to that fact alone. RNG is going to favor one side per match and no amount of "balance" or "getting gud" will overcome that. People are going to have to pull back on their ego's a bit and accept those facts about this game.

    From the killers, first it was the hatch stand off, now most killers are pissed that hatch even exists. Healing speed got nerfed, then it was toolboxes, that got nerfed for a hook sabo meta that next to nobody does unless it's for meme's. Now the complaint is Keys, remove keys. It's gotten to the point that flashlights and med kits are the only thing in the blood web worth having. If keys get removed or nerfed, I'm sure flashlights or med kits will be the next complaint. People want to blame "one thing" and cause a big uproar about it until it finally gets "resolved" and then it's on to the next "one thing". There is not end to this mentality because it is ill conceived and will never bring about the resolution these people are looking for. The fact is the game is random and has to be because it is asymmetrical. Personally, I'm tired of spending tons of BP I had to grind out to be forced to spend 75% of it on near worthless crap I don't want so I can get all 80 perks when only about 20 are worth having! If they are going to nerf these items into oblivion, just flat out remove them like they did the moon bouguet's.

    Personally, I don't see "balance" as a major issue because I remember what it used to be like. The game is actually decently balanced these days IMO.

    If you really want "balance", the closest balance you are ever going to get in this game is by matchmaking being balanced with a MMR. If you can't 'get gud", you won't be matched with those that can. Now the game is magically balanced due to your skill or lack there of. Not the MLG ego stroke most are looking for, but that is reality.

  • Balance and bug fixing needs to be better. If killer was not as bad as it is (baring a few outliers like Spirit and Freddy) we'd have more people playing them and the survivor ques would get faster as a result.

  • I think they need to fix other things first, like:

    1. Something with the start of the match (like EGC)
    2. Rework keys/moris
    3. Rework/buff the Clown
    4. Delete the Iridescent Head add-on

    This game has a lot of problems and matchmaking is not as important as the mentioned above, but it still needs to be fixed.

  • Since unfair matchmaking is causing new players to quit the game, there is nothing more important. Although there are more important issues for ME, for the long term success of the game, we need to keep new players playing.

  • @MrPenguin said:

    Balance and bug fixing needs to be better. If killer was not as bad as it is (baring a few outliers like Spirit and Freddy) we'd have more people playing them and the survivor ques would get faster as a result.

    You've got it backwards, killer queue's are 4-5 times longer than survivor queues. Buffing killer more isn't going to do anything but make that worse. I do agree things can always be tweaked for better balance. Lord knows the servers still have a long way to go. I hate bugs as much as the next guy, but I don't know of any that are currently positively game breaking. Playing lobby simulator for 10 minutes to get matched against seal team six is the biggest bummer for me. If it was instant, at least I could quickly move on to the next game.

  • @CotJocky said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1457617#Comment_1457617

    You've got it backwards, killer queue's are 4-5 times longer than survivor queues. Buffing killer more isn't going to do anything but make that worse. I do agree things can always be tweaked for better balance. Lord knows the servers still have a long way to go. I hate bugs as much as the next guy, but I don't know of any that are currently positively game breaking. Playing lobby simulator for 10 minutes to get matched against seal team six is the biggest bummer for me. If it was instant, at least I could quickly move on to the next game.

    I've played a lot of times from early in the morning to past midnight, my killer ques are at most 2 minutes while my survivor ques are minimum 10 at a good time. As far as I know most people deal with much longer survivor ques. Some areas/times have it flipped but I believe its mostly longer survivor ques the community is dealing with as I've seen much more complaints about survivor ques than the odd killer que complaint here and there. There's not enough people playing killer, especially at higher ranks, and for a lot of people that's because they don't want to play the more stressful/frustrating and weaker side.

  • @MrPenguin said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1461390#Comment_1461390

    I've played a lot of times from early in the morning to past midnight, my killer ques are at most 2 minutes while my survivor ques are minimum 10 at a good time. As far as I know most people deal with much longer survivor ques. Some areas/times have it flipped but I believe its mostly longer survivor ques the community is dealing with as I've seen much more complaints about survivor ques than the odd killer que complaint here and there. There's not enough people playing killer, especially at higher ranks, and for a lot of people that's because they don't want to play the more stressful/frustrating and weaker side.

    All I can say is I'm southeast USA. About 1K miles from the Virginia server that I imagine I am connecting to. I typically see 40-50ms ping to the server. I have been seeing some 2-5 minute killer waits the last couple days, but it is still in-between near 10 minute waits for killer. I rarely wait more than 60 seconds for a survivor lobby; Solo, 2 man, 3 man or full SWF. I do notice I typically get lobbies quicker as Solo or full 4 man. Seems to take a few seconds more as 2 or 3 man for whatever reason. I don't stay up past midnight much so I can't say what it's like from 12am to 7am.


    @Peanits said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/LFYVZLBFOZE7/matchmakingchangesstatusupdate.png

    Today, we have enabled the first phase of our new Matchmaking System for all regions on Xbox One. Read on for more info on our next steps for rolling out the new system!

    We have been running smaller tests of the system on select Xbox One regions for the past few weeks, and the results have been encouraging. The rollout on all Xbox One regions is the next step in testing the system on a wider audience. If all goes well, we are planning on rolling out this feature for all platforms in a couple of weeks.

    The next phase that you will notice goes live with the upcoming mid-chapter update: We are no longer allowing Killers to switch their character while searching for a match, or once in a lobby (excluding Custom Matches). This will allow the new Matchmaking System to track player skill with each killer individually and match them against more appropriately skilled opponents based on their killer selection.

    To put it simply: If you are great with The Oni but you struggle with The Nurse, you will now be playing against stronger survivors when you play The Oni than you do with The Nurse.

    What does this mean?

    The most obvious thing you will see when the new system is active is that there will be a greater variation of Ranks in a single match. Rank 1s playing Rank 20s? It’s possible, don’t panic when you see this, as Ranks are not a true indicator of a player’s skill and are no longer used for matchmaking.

    Additionally, this system comes with a revamped algorithm for matchmaking as a whole. This should improve wait times for finding matches, and we will continue to tweak this part of the system to improve them further over the coming months.

    Why replace Ranks?

    Ranks are not a great way of figuring out how good a player is at the game, because it primarily focuses on "How often you play" and not on "How skilled you are when you play". Based on our matchmaking studies, there are a great deal of “low” ranked players (15-20) who can easily play just as well as “high” ranked players (1-5), but they simply don’t play enough games in a month to increase their rank before they reset on the 13th. And as an inverse, there are Rank 1 -5 players who perform at levels more typical of lower ranks but they play so many games that their rank is higher than expected. This results in unpredictable games: All five players may have the exact same rank but wildly different skill levels in practice, making matches unbalanced.

    How are Ratings better?

    The new Rating system is focused on measuring a player’s skill and predicting how they will perform against a given opponent. This way we can build matches that are more objectively fair for everyone in the game. We have analyzed over 3 million games (at last count) during our tests, and the matchmaking system is proving to be extremely accurate at predicting the outcomes of matches.

    By using this new system, we will be able to place players into more balanced matches more often. When a match is unbalanced, the system will know exactly how unbalanced it is and adjust the player Ratings accordingly.

    Why are there still Ranks?

    Matchmaking has been and continues to be one of the hottest topics we hear about, and we have been listening! To get this implemented as quickly as possible, we have decided to roll it out independent of a rework of the Rank system. That doesn’t mean we don’t have plans for Ranks, however! We are exploring different ideas like turning them into a monthly activity tracker and reward system, when we are ready, we'll communicate more about that

    I still have questions!

    That’s great! We are planning on doing more posts explaining the system in detail, as well as Q&As with the developers who have been working on it. Keep your eyes on the forums and official Dead by Daylight social media channels to learn more.


    That news makes me almost want to play on Xbox! lol... It says hopefully 2 weeks for everyone else. I'm really hoping to see faster queue times and better matched opponents. Not super easy, not being bullied, just actually somewhat equally matched people battling it out. It would be a welcome change! Have to see what the reality of the outcome is though. Gonna keep my hopes low. I've learned not to get my hopes up with this game! lol...