2nd Chances VS Insta Downs

This is where the real comparison should be. I was reading the 50th thread this week with killers complaining about survivor second chance perks and I feel the best counter argument is all of the insta diown chances killers are given. Killers say perks like DS, BT, Unbreakable and Dead Hard reward survivors for making a mistake. Killers feel like they are cheated out of a kill when the have to hit a survivor a 3rd time before they can hook them. Well what about all the insta down powers a perks killers have? I feel cheated when I'm full health and I'm one hit by an Oni and I'm on the hook. Or vault a window and snap i'm in a trap. And while I can hit DS once a game if everything works out just right a lot of killer insta down powers last all match. The worst offender is the 'perfectly balanced' Hillbilly who can down you with his one hit saw from beginning to end with no cool down (rip). Lets look at all these unfair one hit down chances:

Base kit insta downs:Hillbilly, Cannibal, Myers, Ghost Face, Oni and Trapper (situational)

Add on insta downs: Huntress and Clown (Myers again but already in his base kit)

Perk insta downs: NOED, Devour Hope, Make Your Choice, Rancor, Haunted Grounds, Iron Maiden

Other insta down chances: Getting pulled off a Gen, Getting pulled from a locker, Getting grabbed during a hook save

So as you can see killer's have a lot of insta down chances in the game that they don't ever talk about when complaining about 2nd chance perks. So keep these in mind when a killer complains about DS or Borrowed Time being unfair. They have more than their share of get of jail free powers too.

And I know killers are going to say there is counter play to all these insta downs but there is counter play to the 2nd chance perks too.

TLDR: You can take survivor second chances perks away when you take away killer insta downs.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @DetailedDetriment said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1437910#Comment_1437910

    There is a large difference between hate messages and death wishes/threats.

    This is true but that was my last 7 games of lunatic death wishes.

  • @SquirrelKnight said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1437919#Comment_1437919

    This is true but that was my last 7 games of lunatic death wishes.

    That is the reason I play on PS4 with messages set to friends only.

  • Insta downs- reward for skillful use of ability after suffering drawbacks and cooldowns with resource management

    Second chance perks- hehe undo my mistakes every match 16 times per game or reward bad or guaranteed gameplay. Dont tell me skillchecks are a thing I haven't seen someone miss them since 2017. Dont tell me being injured or being hooked is a tough activation it happens each and every match... or you win anyway


    Besides second chance undo buttons you can also subvert team required gameplay and do actions like a one man army

    Noone around to heal me ? I can self care in 32 seconds instead of tying up 2 survivors for 16 each. Noone around to unhook me ? I can deliverance out AND break the hook.


    Killer perks be like- Can't find survivors hiding in bushes ? Here's 25% louder breathing. Thanks.

    Aura reading or noise notifications outside of my range give me distracting information if I'm already doing gen pressure or chase or can't capitalize on because its gone before I can get there.

    And almost no killer perks synergize not to mention killers only have 3 slots because if you dont run bbq the grind in this game outweighs a reason to play it.

  • @DetailedDetriment said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1437552#Comment_1437552

    All killers can counter loops, some far better than others. Spirit, Freddy, Nurse, and Demo all make loops unsafe or shorten them drastically. Against Nurse looping doesn't even exist.

    To say 16 perks is kind of wrong considering every survivor runs Self-Care. Now 12 perks. Throw in Adrenaline and it's now 10. There's normally one Unbreakable, so 9 perks.

    Original Ruin was honestly worse so I don't see the complaint. Sitting at low ranks for easy games made Ruin good, but high rank players were hitting hex skill checks all the time.

    Literally no one except rank 20 claudettes runs self care but sure. also doesn't matter how many of the same perks there are its still 4 different ppl with 4 perks each against 1 person using 4 perks (if noed 3 perks all game) (if hex pretty much 2 perks) etc. Also survivors complain exactly about the killers u listed so

  • Killer players on this thread writing essays to defend their easy mode insta-downs. I'm laughing.

  • @SquirrelKnight said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1436483#Comment_1436483

    Thats kinda the problem. We complain about second chance perks because they force us to play where we have to camp and tunnel. Because when a killer downs one person that way its gauranteed 1 person out of the game. If we try and hook everyone twice before killing, it fails the vast majority of the time. So why not focus one person down? Im hitting ds and bt anyway? Might as well use them as fast as i can.

    @DetailedDetriment said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1437752#Comment_1437752

    So what I got out of this is you camp and tunnel on a normal basis and then complain about perks to help counter it.

    The issue is that most killers don't even slug, they just tunnel down the person who gave them the hardest time. You're potentially ruining 1 or more people's game simply because you're mad that you got your ass handed to you. Killers then complain about egc hate messages and send them here and in the Discord acting like the victim as they "didn't do anything to receive such hate messages." The community is almost ######### COD level, but all sensitive, 10 yr old twats.

    Camping and tunneling is a gameplay decision. The game actually requires it in many situations.

    To pretend the survivor rulebook entitles you to 3 lives and to take turns being targeted is ridiculous.

    And to act like hatemail in any form is acceptable because someone played in a way someone didn't like is sickening.

    Humans are on the other side of the screen.


    Get the person on the team doing the most work out first Is basic strategy, to choose not is actively detrimental.

    Giving up a known location like a hook that will actively kill someone while drawing in someone who will doubly be vulnerable during a save and thirdly put the saved person in vulnerable position

    to what randomly walk away... thats not a smart choice either ?

    How could you possibly blame someone for making those decisions or pretend he's actively intentinally ruining someone's game

  • @skarsguts said:

    Killer players on this thread writing essays to defend their easy mode insta-downs. I'm laughing.

    I know right. So many lengthy posts explaining the skills it takes to get insta downs. Like Myers and Ghost Face have to look at survivors for a few seconds, Billy and Leatherface takes aim (and if you miss just immediately charge it up again) and Oni has to hit a survivor first. Come on. Insta downs are not that hard to get and happen all the time.

    2nd chance perks do have drawbacks. I can't ever use DS if I'm not downed right after getting unhooked. BT doesn't work if the killer isn't hanging around the hook or going after the person just unhooked. Unbreakable does no good if the killer picks me up right away. Plenty of games these are all wasted perk slots. A good killer knows these perks exist and can turn them all into wasted slots. Killers have the control. 2nd chance perks punish killers for getting too greedy and serve as a counterbalance to the killers power.

  • @JephKaplan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1437864#Comment_1437864

    Literally no one except rank 20 claudettes runs self care but sure. also doesn't matter how many of the same perks there are its still 4 different ppl with 4 perks each against 1 person using 4 perks (if noed 3 perks all game) (if hex pretty much 2 perks) etc. Also survivors complain exactly about the killers u listed so

    No one complains about Demo or Nurse.

    Self-Care is the second most common perk behind DS.

  • Killer with instadowns are balanced around their potential to instadown survivors. So I wouldn't classify them as unfair if that's what you are going by when comparing them to second chance perks.

    On the other hand, I also think every one of the second chance perks that survivors have are balanced.

  • @emptyCups said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1437752#Comment_1437752

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1437902#Comment_1437902

    Camping and tunneling is a gameplay decision. The game actually requires it in many situations.

    To pretend the survivor rulebook entitles you to 3 lives and to take turns being targeted is ridiculous.

    And to act like hatemail in any form is acceptable because someone played in a way someone didn't like is sickening.

    Humans are on the other side of the screen.

    Get the person on the team doing the most work out first Is basic strategy, to choose not is actively detrimental.

    Giving up a known location like a hook that will actively kill someone while drawing in someone who will doubly be vulnerable during a save and thirdly put the saved person in vulnerable position

    to what randomly walk away... thats not a smart choice either ?

    How could you possibly blame someone for making those decisions or pretend he's actively intentinally ruining someone's game

    And this is why people run DS. All killer mains find tunneling acceptable. More often than not you're going to get hurt by tunneling as long as the team can do gens. I play Trapper and just setting traps can result in 2 gens being lost.

  • I've always compared slowdown perks to second chance perks, as these two actually relate better for each side in doing the same thing

    • A second chance perk is designed to give the survivor more time in the game
    • A slow down perk is designed to give the killer more time in the game

    As for insta downs, I don't actually have a problem with them as base-kit killers, I do dislike addon's that give killers insta-downs like huntress and clown. To be fair, I don't seem to actually mind Deathslingers insta-down, probably because its harder to achieve and can't really be abused like clown on huntress where you can just get up close and spam.

1 2 ›