NOED is healthy for the game
1) NOED is very annoying, survivors know that more than anyone else. However, it can be countered. Just cleanse every totem you find or memorize their locations. Many survivors just do generators and play as optimally as possible to escape. While that might seem great, you're just putting yourself at risk of triggering NOED and possibly costing you the game. In a way, NOED helps against gen-rushers.
2) When I first started playing this game, I only played survivor which for the most part was a very smooth and comfortable experience. When I tried playing killer, I gave up because of survivors teabagging and constantly escaping. I thought killer was too stressful so I just went back to survivor. However, after discovering NOED and adding it to my loadout, I started to get kills. While these kills weren't necessarily "earned," the satisfaction of getting them encouraged me to play more killer. As I kept playing, I learned new strategies and playstyles and got more used to it. As I got better, I started to get matches where all 5 gens weren't even completed, so the perk became useless. I swapped it out for more useful perks. Now, I'm a Rank 1 killer that gets 4ks pretty often. NOED is basically the training wheels on a bicycle, for new killers.
If it wasn't for NOED, I would not even be playing this game right now. Killer, not survivor, kept me playing. It just grew on me.
Comments
Yes, it can be countered, but you're relying on the inconsistency of randoms to get the job done for a majority of matches. Gen-rushing also hurts players more than they realise, not just the killers they go against.
I would also question which killers you're playing and if you even deserve to be at Rank 1 if you are just getting handed kills with NoED. The current ranking system shouldn't be gamed by a badly designed perk to get someone up to the highest levels of play.
Getting a 4k every game is also not a true sign of a good killer to me, it's more about the pain you inflict on the survivors with a 4k being a nice end reward. If you were able to get to red with only ONE kill per game, you'd have way more of my respect than being carried by NoED.
I know this all sounds harsh, but you make it sound like you've been carried by NoED. It is not health in it's current state, and changing Exposed notice to instant, rather than on first hit and it only activating after 5 generators have been completed to bring it in line with all the other perks is the only way that you'll be even close to getting me to agree with you. I have been punished by it too many times for everyone else refusing to do totems.
Except Devour Hope works similarly which notifies your exposure on the first hit of the token.
In the grand scheme of things, no it's not healthy, the fact you made an analogy comparing NOED to "training wheels" is proof of that fact.
Balance should be created through actual balance, not by cheap win mechanics. If new players are struggling with killer (which they shouldn't be, it's almost universally accepted that killers have the advantage in low ranks because survivors are god awful, and survivors have the advantage in high ranks because of bad design choices in 2016 whose effects still linger and can be felt today) they should be learning by playing killers that are designed to be simple to play yet still viable, as well as by equipping powerful perks that are simple in nature to understand for beginners to use and can still be effective in nature.
All of this is hindered by the fact that matchmaking is absolutely terrible right now, and a new killer can very much go up against for red rank survivors, or even vice versa. But that doesn't change the goals that the devs should be striving for, killers don't need "training wheels" they just need a safe environment to learn the ropes of the game. AKA queued with players of equal experience.
......... but you earn it's effect.
Devour Hope is fine because you have to work really hard for it. It relies on you getting at least 3 downs, hooks and running away from them in the time that they hopefully don't find a SINGLE totem to be cleansed.
Tbh i get carried by DS, DH, adrenaline and BT when i play survivor with a good med kit to be sure i can always heal if i need to and lets not forget the map help me a lot when i play survivor. So i dont see the issue with having noed in the beguining then he realise he did not need it later so he swich the perk out. Lets be honest you start a new game and you lose almost every time you dont want to play this game anymore because its not fun losing 80% of the time. That how he felt at the start, at least when you get 1 kill with noed you feel like you are slowly getting better or this could be the perk that give you your 3k and a pip and you see your not that terrible anymore.
I like NOED, and that's from both sides. As a Killer it's a fun perk to take out and use it to turn the tide in the same way keys can for survivor, and as a survivor it's effectively like squaring off against a final boss and requires more cautiousness. It gets the adrenaline pumping!
NOED is also a high-risk/high-reward perk for a Killer. Its only use is at the end, and if the lit totem appears right in front of a survivor then that perk slot was for nothing. Like Adrenaline or No One Left Behind, it's a spot-specific perk which offers a high reward, but handicaps the player up to that point with one less slot.
And what if Killers got 4-8 hooks before their NOED activated? Is it still unearned because they did very well in the game but didn't get anyone ultimately Killed before the exit gates were powered due to X reasons?
I wouldn't really have a problem with NOED if there was a totem counter to help solo survivors to keep track of how many totems are left. But for some reason we still don't have that.
It is still better than what we currently have.
Geez, even if it was "if a survivor has been hooked during the trial", I'd be more accepting than fail horribly and have a spare totem.
You clearly didn't read the whole post lol
It's not healthy when soloq are involved.
Hates Hillbilly, and bang on the money about NOED. I have found my DBD soulmate <3
As long as Adrenaline is a thing, I really don't have a problem with NOED. And honestly, as a both sides gamer, I would 10x rather go against a NOED user than 4 Adrenaline kiddos... truly a nightmare...
But seriously, Adrenaline is used on nearly every game I play (by my teammates or my enemies), and you don't see such complaints about that. And Adrenaline can't be cleansed, and it even activates after you're unhooked if you were hooked before it activated! I think NOED is fair considering that it's basically the counter to Adrenaline.
And as a solo Survivor, if I'm that scared of NOED activating, I just take a rainbow map with a range addon. It's really not that bad.
Never had an issue with it myself. I always do random perks, but when I've used it before it's helped prevent hooks and heal much quicker. Granted it's not top tier though.
Probably controversally I don't 99 gates, since as Killer I've taken people out with that as it gives a little extra time that an otherwise opened gate wouldn't, and Blood Warden activates regardless.
This is a really great point, and explains why there is such a divide in those that think it's good or bad. I don't ever use it anymore, and feel kinda icky when I do use it. Sometimes I regret that I don't use it on base movement speed killers when I get stomped by a squadded SWF. It's sort of like a second chance, and as a newb, you need a lot of those.
NOED simply needs tweaking. Statistically it’s balanced, but the issue is more with how the Perk feels and not how effective it is.
Solo Survivors are expected to scour the map to cleanse 5 totems (or find their remains) or else face the wrath of NOED. A Solo Survivor could cleanse 4 totems and still be end up being downed because their team-mates didn’t get the “cleanse bones” memo. And there’s nothing more painful than seeing you team go down one-by-one trying to desperately save you with no plan.
Killers are expected to play with 3 Perks until late-game. Once the last generator is down, the moment they have been waiting for could be taken quickly away with the totem being cleansed a few seconds later. And there’s nothing worse than encountering a SWF team that ensure you NOED never sees the light of day.
Yeah, I get that. It does have a limited use and maybe when SWF may not have been a thing it could be an excellent last ditch attempt to get everyone out. The healing and unhooking speed is still useful. Maybe it could be adjusted to once someone starts activating the gates, so that it has more usage.
If I chose my perks it wouldn't be in my top 10, but I have found some good use in it. And thank you for your courteous response - it's nice to have differing opinions and be respectful of the other at the same time :)