If someone acts toxic, sometimes try reaching out

I had a game earlier today vs an Oni, which for the most part (from my perspective) was pretty tense and exciting! I did some jukes that even surprised me, and managed to escape The Oni consistently.

Eventually, the law of averages played against me and The Oni finally downed me. 1st hook with one other survivor left. The Oni went away briefly before returning to face-camp and hack at me through both states to my death hook.

Most may be annoyed, and maybe the fact that I pipped anyway and felt I had had an overall enjoyable trial I didn't feel annoyed. However, I decided to contact The Oni since apart from the end they'd been decent. I complimented them amd also said sorry if I had vexed them.

What followed was a really nice conversation! He apologised for face camping, explaining some survivors were just being extremely immersive and irritating, and he'd just lost it at that stage. It also explained why the 4 gens done were done by me, with the exception of one joint effort. Maybe they were immersive; maybe they weren't. But it had frustrated him, as well as having quite a few games with the key being brought in.

We had a decent chat, gave tips and joked a bit and in the end we were both in great spirits!

This won't happen in all cases, obviously. But sometimes it can be worth being nice or simply just not contacting - they may just be having a difficult time, and changing that attitude may change them positively, which may be spread.

Just wanted to share this.

Comments

  • @Vox_Nocturne said:

    I had a game earlier today vs an Oni, which for the most part (from my perspective) was pretty tense and exciting! I did some jukes that even surprised me, and managed to escape The Oni consistently.

    Eventually, the law of averages played against me and The Oni finally downed me. 1st hook with one other survivor left. The Oni went away briefly before returning to face-camp and hack at me through both states to my death hook.

    Most may be annoyed, and maybe the fact that I pipped anyway and felt I had had an overall enjoyable trial I didn't feel annoyed. However, I decided to contact The Oni since apart from the end they'd been decent. I complimented them amd also said sorry if I had vexed them.

    What followed was a really nice conversation! He apologised for face camping, explaining some survivors were just being extremely immersive and irritating, and he'd just lost it at that stage. It also explained why the 4 gens done were done by me, with the exception of one joint effort. Maybe they were immersive; maybe they weren't. But it had frustrated him, as well as having quite a few games with the key being brought in.

    We had a decent chat, gave tips and joked a bit and in the end we were both in great spirits!

    This won't happen in all cases, obviously. But sometimes it can be worth being nice or simply just not contacting - they may just be having a difficult time, and changing that attitude may change them positively, which may be spread.

    Just wanted to share this.

    I've done this a few times, varying results, few apologize, just wanted at least one kill, most either didn't care or were well aware they were being toxic, even saying "I wanted to ruin your experience" most of the time it's "Last group was really toxic so I...." Then it's just an endless cycle at that point

  • Kudos, OP, for actually trying to understand the other player's motivations for once. If everyone did that (and reported the #########), we'd have a much better game.

  • I always do that cause at the end of the day they’re people too! And they have a reason for their actions. 😔

  • Yes! I'll sometimes also be kind to people sending messages calling me a noob and etc, and it usually turns into a nice convo and a few times I've gotten people to play a few rounds with me.

  • @Zwergz112 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/166279/if-someone-acts-toxic-sometimes-try-reaching-out

    I've done this a few times, varying results, few apologize, just wanted at least one kill, most either didn't care or were well aware they were being toxic, even saying "I wanted to ruin your experience" most of the time it's "Last group was really toxic so I...." Then it's just an endless cycle at that point

    Yeah, I get that. I might have been lucky, and if I were that lucky it may at least change a few minds about how they approach the game. In time, it could rub off on more, and maybe behaviours will gradually shift. If it becomes a cycle of anger that just gets bigger then nothing will change. If a few cogs choose to work differently, then maybe it'll make a change, no matter how small.