A Really Cool Idea I Have to Change DS

So as a killer DS can really screw over your momentum if you get hit by it accidentally and cost you the match in some cases. As a survivor being tunneled can be very frustrating and can cause you to depip if the killer chooses to focus you out of the match. So how do you fix the perk to keep it's usefulness all while making it less impactful on the killers momentum? Well boy have I got a cool idea for all of you.


-DS keeps the exact same requirements to be activated.

-DS no longer is used to stun the killer and escape their grasp.

-DS will now be activated upon either 3rd hook or upon the struggle bar fully depleting. Instead of being killed by the entity succeed in a skill check to stab the entity and escape the hook.

-You gain the endurance status effect for X seconds after escaping the hook and the broken status effect for the remainder of the trial

-The killer now has permission from the entity to mori the survivor

-Moring the survivor in this way still grants you full points as if the survivor was sacrificed normally


This makes it so that the perk no longer kills the killers momentum and still gives the survivor the powerful effect of being able to counter tunneling. So if you want the survivor to die faster then don't pick them up after a minute of them being unhooked but if you do then you won't be immediately punished by having your momentum killed and you get to mori the survivor once you catch them again. Even if some may consider this too strong, I still think the concept is pretty cool and it's not like this idea can't be tweaked a bit to be balanced to how ever you see fit so let me know what you think and how, if at all, you'd tweak it :)

Or just let me know if and why you think this idea is completely dumb and why it wouldn't work. I can take constructive criticism :)

Comments

  • @dhealy646 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/160997/a-really-cool-idea-i-have-to-change-ds

    I like the idea but it could be so much more simple. DS lasts 30s. The timer does not go down in a chase. The timer deactivates if another survivor is downed. The timer deactivates if you are fully healed. This makes it an actual anti tunnel perk by making it so if the killer engages a chase within 30s of being unhooked you will always escape.

    Yea true that is a more simple change but I just wanted to try something more creative that would be welcomed from both sides.

  • I think the more creative thing is better, because the "doesn't decrease during a chase" is the typical thing that was discussed a thousand times and is again easily abusable. I could also throw in that I think "deactivating under certain conditionsis easy fix" but there will be even more responses starting the same discussion again. So I say +1 to a totally new idea, breaks the self built borders.

  • They should really just delete it entirely along with any other perks that just serve as take-backsies. Once the killer (or survivor, but killers don't really have any of these perks) do their thing it should stand. Perks should be about keeping the killer from doing a thing rather than just invalidating the thing they did.

    Oh you downed me but OOPS bye or oh you caught me unhooking unsafely but OOPS doesn't matter are just lazy, lazy perks. I don't know that oh I'm on death hook good job but OOPS nevermind is any better.

    In other words, DH fine, DS bad.

  • @JustCats said:

    They should really just delete it entirely along with any other perks that just serve as take-backsies. Once the killer (or survivor, but killers don't really have any of these perks) do their thing it should stand. Perks should be about keeping the killer from doing a thing rather than just invalidating the thing they did.

    Oh you downed me but OOPS bye or oh you caught me unhooking unsafely but OOPS doesn't matter are just lazy, lazy perks. I don't know that oh I'm on death hook good job but OOPS nevermind is any better.

    In other words, DH fine, DS bad.

    That's understandable but I doubt they'd just delete the perks. This idea at least makes it so that the perk is less polarizing to play against while not making it useless.

  • @Lx_malice It's not a bad idea and I can appreciate the sentiment it's just that the thing that makes it polarizing in the first place is the invalidating "gotcha" cheese - not so much what it invalidates but that it does at all.

    It's never a free unhook, free hit, free wiggle off - all of these perks actively take away something that the killer already did. Just another method to take agency and proactive gameplay away from the killer. If you want to change DS to something that isn't cheese, you'd have to make it something that the survivor has to actually do in the gameplay environment. Like, it always feels bad to miss a hit because of DH, but I can respect that as an outplay. The survivor actually had to do something and the second chance wasn't just handed to them for free. DS/BT/etc - they just happen.

    Maybe make DS a perk that gives the survivor one low-ranged stunning strike on the hook, so that if they are getting face-camped they can help the rescuer. But it would be something they'd have to aim rather than just have it handed to them for free, the way most other perks work.

  • @JustCats said:

    @Lx_malice It's not a bad idea and I can appreciate the sentiment it's just that the thing that makes it polarizing in the first place is the invalidating "gotcha" cheese - not so much what it invalidates but that it does at all.

    It's never a free unhook, free hit, free wiggle off - all of these perks actively take away something that the killer already did. Just another method to take agency and proactive gameplay away from the killer. If you want to change DS to something that isn't cheese, you'd have to make it something that the survivor has to actually do in the gameplay environment. Like, it always feels bad to miss a hit because of DH, but I can respect that as an outplay. The survivor actually had to do something and the second chance wasn't just handed to them for free. DS/BT/etc - they just happen.

    Maybe make DS a perk that gives the survivor one low-ranged stunning strike on the hook, so that if they are getting face-camped they can help the rescuer. But it would be something they'd have to aim rather than just have it handed to them for free, the way most other perks work.

    Oh yea I know. I mostly play killer myself and the stacks of second chance perks really can be annoying. But at the same time I also play solo survivor so I can see why people use them. Honestly I wouldn't mind the whole undo effect if killers would just have more time to do more things so that taking away something the killer did is less impactful. This is why the devs are adding something new to make early game easier on killers. That in tandem with a change like this to make the perk less oppressive would be more than welcome by me but that's just my opinion. I understand that you may still favor not having perks like this at all as they are just strong passive effects as you stated but I still think that as long as the killer can be compensated in some way, like more time, then I couldn't care less if they use perks like that.

  • Of course I understand why people use them - they're get-out-of-jail-free cards.