is The Spirit a fury?

This might seem like a really self-explanatory question but it got me interested and thinking.

After doing some research, I found out that furies, also known as 'Erinyes' were female chthonic deities of vengeance in ancient Greek religion and mythology. A formulaic oath in the lliad invokes them as "the Erinyes, that under earth take vengeance on men, whosoever hath sworn a false oath". We know that Rin swore an oath to the entity that she would be promised blood and revenge because of her father, we also know that anyone who has Yamaoka blood is a fury. So this leads me to suggest that Rin has Erinyes ancestors who date all the way back to Greek mythology.

Of course I might just be looking into this too much, call me crazy, obsessed, ignorant, I'll probably agree. But I loved coming up with this theory <3

Edit: I can confirm from the help of other people that The Spirit is an Onryō, a vengeful Japanese spirit.

Comments

  • Although I highly doubt it (mainly due to Erinyes usually looking like satan like, with ram horns and devil wings) it isn't a farfetched theory, and it could definitely be true.

  • @Cheers said:

    Although I highly doubt it (mainly due to Erinyes usually looking like satan like, with ram horns and devil wings) it isn't a farfetched theory, and it could definitely be true.

    I'm glad to hear that. I was expecting people to look at this and call me stupid lmao


  • I thought The spirit was just a Onryo. A vengeful spirit that can violently lash out at anyone it encounters, not just who wronged them.

    But, I don't think the idea is specific to any culture. Like the one you've pointed out.

    I wonder if the Erinyes would do in this case. I thought because of how they were born (the castration of Kronos) they saw betraying one's parents as an extreme offense. I wonder what about Parents killing their children.

  • Spirit is an "Onryō" wich is a Japanese vengeful spirit

    In Japanese traditional beliefs and literature, onryō (怨霊, literally "vengeful spirit", sometimes rendered "wrathful spirit")[1] refers to a ghost (yūrei) believed to be capable of causing harm in the world of the living, injuring or killing enemies, or even causing natural disasters to exact vengeance to redress the wrongs it received while alive, then taking their spirits from their dying bodies.


  • @WeenieDog said:

    I thought The spirit was just a Onryo. A vengeful spirit that can violently lash out at anyone it encounters, not just who wronged them.

    But, I don't think the idea is specific to any culture. Like the one you've pointed out.

    I wonder if the Erinyes would do in this case. I thought because of how they were born (the castration of Kronos) they saw betraying one's parents as an extreme offense. I wonder what about Parents killing their children.

    It would make sense because the Spirit's father killed her mother and then tried to kill her.

    If you remember tome 2 of the archives, Rin's father is seen holding his fist out while Rin's mother is shielding her.

  • @Saitamfed said:

    Spirit is an "Onryō" wich is a Japanese vengeful spirit

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onry%C5%8D

    Ah I see.

    I'm sure I did read this before, however I love coming up with theories and when I researched about the Erinyes I couldn't help but compare it to the Spirit.

    Thanks for showing me though!

  • @Kate_cx said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1341667#Comment_1341667

    Ah I see.

    I'm sure I did read this before, however I love coming up with theories and when I researched about the Erinyes I couldn't help but compare it to the Spirit.

    Thanks for showing me though!

    You're welcome. I do like to read about supernatural stuff, I find it intriguing another cultures beliefs or what they used to believe. History as well.

    So it was interesting to read this post.

  • i thought for a second you were saying furry, but messed up.thank god i was wrong.

  • Furies are very specific to Greek and to a lesser extent Roman mythos. The Japanese definitely have their own version of the vengeful spirit, as mentioned above. In fact most old and ancient cultures do.

  • @Kate_cx said:

    This might seem like a really self-explanatory question but it got me interested and thinking.

    After doing some research, I found out that furies, also known as 'Erinyes' were female chthonic deities of vengeance in ancient Greek religion and mythology. A formulaic oath in the lliad invokes them as "the Erinyes, that under earth take vengeance on men, whosoever hath sworn a false oath". We know that Rin swore an oath to the entity that she would be promised blood and revenge because of her father, we also know that anyone who has Yamaoka blood is a fury. So this leads me to suggest that Rin has Erinyes ancestors who date all the way back to Greek mythology.

    Of course I might just be looking into this too much, call me crazy, obsessed, ignorant, I'll probably agree. But I loved coming up with this theory <3

    Edit: I can confirm from the help of other people that The Spirit is an Onryō, a vengeful Japanese spirit.

    Okay I honestly thought that this was just some random 12 year old trying to say ‘furry’ and I was kinda mad, but now that I actually read the topic, this sounds like a really cool theory, and if it was true, that would be even better honestly.

  • @MintMintz said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/159965/is-the-spirit-a-fury

    Okay I honestly thought that this was just some random 12 year old trying to say ‘furry’ and I was kinda mad, but now that I actually read the topic, this sounds like a really cool theory, and if it was true, that would be even better honestly.

    Lmao someone else did the same.

    A spirit running around in a furry costume would be iconic