About This New MMR System

Please tell me it's going to pair the highest ranking player with the closest possible ranking killer rather than vice versa. After four games of being destroyed by red-purple rank players as a rank 15 killer (now 16, actually) it's pretty disheartening. They were all 3-4 man SWF's, with one being in the yellow. I could look at it as a challenge if it was every now and then and not back to back to back, but this isn't fun. And when a game stops being fun, there's something wrong.

Comments

  • This was me yesterday. After 3 consecutive red SWF as a 17 killer, I took a break.

  • Yep. Two matches with actual rank 1's just now.

  • Rank means literally nothing on the survivor side. Even BHVR can be quoted as saying it's basically a measurement of time played in a month, and not skill. There's as many red rank potatoes as there is brown rank potatoes. Chances are you're just psyching yourself out a lot of the time looking for reasons to justify your loss rather than looking at how you could improve. You'll run into death squads at all ranks. That's actually part of the reason matchmaking is so broken right now; because it's so easy for survivors to get to red ranks. I'm a rank 1 killer, and more than half the time, because of how terrible the matchmaking is, I'll end up facing a mix of red and brown rank survivors. Literally, a rank 4, a rank 1, a rank 13 and a rank 19. The brown/yellow ranks a lot of the time actually do better. The red ranks usually end up dying first. It really isn't an indication of skill.

    That being said, the MMR is not rank based. It's skill based, which is just as broken as ranks themselves. It's impossible for an AI algorithm to measure skill in a game like DBD. There's too much RNG.

  • The forums won't let me quote today, so tag it'll be.

    @Frankie I don't buy into there isn't some skill in getting to red rank. Yes, there are red rank potatoes. I'm a rank 2 survivor atm and seen it plenty. However, I've not seen a rank 15 survivor compare to a rank 1 potato yet. It also took me 4 months to hit red ranks playing pretty regularly.

    I'm still learning killers. I don't think it's asking for much to be paired with people around my skill level. How they will do it? I don't know. BHVR has said they can though with the new system. Guess we'll see.

    Edit: I caught your post before you edited so my response was to that version, which is much the same.

  • You really need to start buying it. It's a known fact, and the devs of the game have actually came out and said it. For survivors, you can get to rank 1 just by playing. It's unbelievably easy to pip as survivor. You don't even have to survive. Take it from a guy with nearly 4000 hours in this game.

    In terms of wanting to be matched with people of equal skill - nigh impossible. The issue is, there's no accurate way to measure skill in DBD, so you're always going to be paired with people all over the place in terms of skill. Really, it's a good way to get better. Instead of letting yourself get psyched out because you got beat by someone who easily outplayed you, look at how they outplayed you, train yourself to outplay their plays, and to be ready for when they attempt to outplay you.

  • IN ADDITION, regardless of what BHVR said, they literally can't do an accurate skill based MMR in DBD. Here's a video by ScottJund that explains why in detail:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIbOwzTzSIU


  • @Frankie Yep I plan on trying to get good. Just hoping the system does as well. You have more experience in the game than I do so maybe you're right? I can't say. Everything is on a "we'll see" basis.

    Edit: Interesting video. This does make a better point.

  • If you can, watch the video. He explains why the MMR will ultimately be really inaccurate way better than I could here, lol

    But yeah, dude. You'll get better. Even when you feel you've been shafted by getting a seal team 6 SWF (which even exist in brown and yellow ranks, because people derank for teh lulz), always look at what they did, and how you could have out played it. There's almost always a way to outplay it. Mind you, you'll have to be a sweatlord to outplay them, but that's kind of what killer is all about lol

  • Yeah I had posted before I seen your video pop up. It made some really good points. Back to sweating profusely I suppose, lol.

  • You can only hope that it is going to work that way. They have been testing it in certain regions without people's knowledge to help build up the rating already, but since they havent really given the details on how it will work, who knows if it will be accurate.

  • Just because theyre rank 1 doesnt means thyre rank 1 skilled. Most redranks i face as killer or play with are basically more of average ranked players if skill would equate to rank.

  • I hate people who come into threads like these just blathering the old rank doesn't matter crap. A red rank with 500-1000 hours is going to be better than a 10-30 hour yellow rank. I'm sorry if it doesn't suit your fantasy but it's true. They shouldn't get paired together period especially given new player are at a litteral ingame disadvantage due to perks and addons. Even if they were somehow magically evenly skilled they'd still be working from a disadvantage.

  • Okay but seriously:

    Is there some kind of testing going on with the MMR today? Because now I'm getting nothing but red and purples.

  • If it's being done by the same team that was behind the emblem system then don't hold your breath. It might actually be way more inaccurate