[Story thread] How Dark Sense very nearly got me killed
I put "Story thread" in the title so people who don't like them can skip it. If you're one of those people, why did you click on this?
I was up against a Clown with the elephant skin (you know what they say about a man who wears an elephant suit) as the obsession. He seemed to know where we all were when we worked on gens, so we figured he had Discordance and/or Surveillance. Thankfully, my build is just 4 aura-reading perks (Aftercare, Alert, Dark Sense, Kindred), so I was able to keep an eye on him as well as my teammates.
During the trial we noticed he had an exhaustion add-on and another add-on that made the hindered effect last longer. No biggie, just gotta avoid the clouds.
The last gen pops just as I'm directly hit with a bottle and I notice I'm now exposed. Must be the iridescent add-on and we were wrong about the one that makes hindered last longer, right? After all, he missed every bottle hit except that one. Thing is, he also had NOED (goddamned corn maps with totems in the middle of ######### nowhere), so we didn't understand what was going on right away.
After hooking Claudette (it was just me, Claudette, and Meg at this point, my SWF teammate had died long before but I was relaying everything to him), we discovered he also had Bloodwarden, FML. I was quick to jump in a locker when he came to check on the open gate, but Meg didn't seem to understand that Bloodwarden was in play and stuck around. She was summarily hooked as well and killed herself.
Both the Clown and I knew where the hatch was, so that wasn't an option with the long sacrifice animation. I tried to go unhook Claudette, but he was racing back as well. With no other options left, I decided to risk it and ran back to the open gate. Thankfully 60 seconds had passed, so I made it out.
Then I saw the score screen and finally realized ######### was going on. The Clown had Rancor. However, because I was running Dark Sense, I never even realized it since I would've seen his aura anyway. If he hadn't stopped chasing me shortly after hitting me with the bottle and I had more time to search for NOED (which I would've), I would've died.
TL;DR: Due to a weird coincidence and Dark Sense, I didn't realize the killer had Rancor and nearly died.
Comments
Interesting perk interplay I hadn't considered there.
Same. It's just that Rancor is so rarely used, in my experience, that it never even occurred to me that that's how he was tracking us.
Now I'm wondering if Third Seal could prevent Rancor's aura-reading on the survivor's side.
its similar with stealth killers - once i only realised i was the Rancor obsession when we had one gen left, cause the killer was undetectable every time a gen popped previously xD
and what a relief when someone else D-Striked them a little later... RIP that guy btw xD
Or...you could do Rancor+Nemesis. Had a game where after I moried the obsession by the exit gates and their teammates t-bagged next to me during the animation, one of em decided to try to farm some quick BPs by flashlight blinding me. Obsession swaped over and I got ANOTHER mori, lol.
It's delicious when t-baggers get what they deserve.
We all got a good laugh about it in the endgame chat. That whole match was just a meme.
Very interesting... Thanks.
That sounds evil.
They'd have to be very stupid to keep falling for that, though.
the alternative is to just let the guy die
So let him. What's the big deal?
But what purpose does it serve when you can't actually kill any of them or you lose the insta-down?
[shrug]
I see pips as a compensation prize, not the goal. Kills/Escapes are what I play for.
I had a game like that recently. Was playing Hillbilly for a Ritual to killer a Survivor by my hand. I decided to use Rancor instead of the Mori so I could just get the kill at Endgame, and used Nemesis to improve my chances of being around an obsession when the time came. I got that fine, then towards the end I was chainsawing towards a Feng and she pallet-stunned me, making her the Obsession. I decided "Well, okay" and got Mori #2.I let the other two crawl out since they were right by the gate. Funny thing is the two I killed had more bloodpoints than the two who escaped.