Huntress is massively overrated
Over the past few days, I have been playing huntress, both for rift challenges and to get adept. Post game, more than one survivor has said that Huntress is top 3 and broken (this is while i was running adept...LOL). I also see a lot of people on here talking about her being top. There is no chance she is top IMO.
-no mobility: the best killers (nurse, spirit, billy) all have map control, while Huntress is a 110 killer. It doesn’t matter how good you are in the chase if you are on a large map.
-maps: from big maps to indoor maps, Huntress is often put at a big disadvantage as soon as the game begins. Maps limit her shots and previously mentioned control.
-shots: while I think her chase potential is high, she is still much easier to avoid than a killer like Nurse or spirit, so long as the survivors are paying attention. The hatchet has plenty of travel time.
Comments
I'd disregard the salty survivor comments, for obvious reasons.
For the rest, well, I've played as her a little bit more than you did, and by little I mean a lot and at rank 1 even before 3.7. This is mostly a subjective topic and thus I'm probably arguing semantics, so don't take this too seriously. I'd say maybe she's not necessarily overrated, but she's a tad overhyped because she has a very vocal fanbase, including on this board.
I think the issue is that some people get mesmerized by crossmaps and prediction shots, then they overestimate her skill cap and correlate that to strength. Don't get me wrong, she has a nice skill cap, but it's not that massive proposition that it's often made out to be. You don't need a 1000h to git gud at Huntress. Heck, lately I've seen some players with anywhere from 100 to 500h on their profiles (matchmaking btw) pull off some really good shots.
Prediction takes into account the same understanding of pathing that any good killer can achieve regardless of playing as her or other characters. Then it's all risk vs reward. Some shots are simply low percentage, unless the survivors are very straightforward, but when they land they have that extra wow factor, especially on Twitch. Mechanically, she's not that difficult. The main points are patience, muscle memory for timing and flicking and cough cough crosshairs cough. The same as with many other killer powers. Also, I shouldn't say this, but knowing how to 'abuse' the hitboxes is very important in her case specifically. She also has built-in stbfl when going hatchet+melee combo, she can cancel at any time and she can hold a hatchet indefinitely, which is extremely advantageous.
So, she's definitely strong. Maybe not Spirit strong, but I don't think many people would put them in the same tier to begin with. Of course, some maps are bad for her, but that goes for any killer. Map size is a lesser issue now, because most have been shrinked. Her range is her mobility.
For broken, I'd say she's broken moslty in the hitboxes. They're way too generous, especially now that with the Deathslinger we know they're capable of making more accurate hitboxes. That's also a reason why I think her skill cap is overestimated. Let's not even discuss dedicated servers.
As a side note, hatchets are not that slow imho. A charged shot is 40 m/s, same as Deathslinger, but the range is the whole map, the hitbox is massive and she can hold it indefinitely. Even if there's wind-up and charging time, the survivors still need to be careful in that time frame and that's often all that's needed to zone them.
She's a killer with a high skill floor. As you say though, she does suffer quite a bit with certain maps, e.g. Hawkins.
With practice though, and assuming a not terrible map, she can end chases extremely fast, and down multiple people at range. She's definitely not on the same level as nurse/spirit/billy, but she's right behind them.
I wouldn't say she's overrated, but she's definitely a high ceiling/low floor killer. There's a huge difference between a good Huntress and an average one. There are a few who I feel completely helpless against and others who I've run for multiple gens.
She is not top three but she is viable and no words will remove that truth.
We all have bad games time to time and my worst games are when I first start playing a killer. I remember thinking Doctor, Wraith, Hillbilly were terrible killers. OP may still be getting used to Huntress like I was with Hillbilly but she is lauded for a reason.
She's without a doubt the killer with the highest skill ceiling so it takes a long while before you start to "git gud" with her. I gave up playing Huntress a while ago, her playstyle never clicked with me. But she's definitely not overrated. She's definitely in a good spot, I would put her in a pile of killers near the top with Freddy, Hag, Oni and Deathslinger (all these killers I would say are the 4th best I just couldn't pick one over the other if that makes sense).
Nah, Huntress is a very good killer. Play against a skilled Huntress and you'll find out very quick lol.
Huntress has a lot of lethality, especially at close range which is why she's good. Pretty my a built in STBFL level recovery speed. I think she well earns her title as strong despite her movespeed.
My Huntress is by no means amazing, but I am competent and can hold my own. There are so many times when she simply has no shot to take. Even when I m2 up close to take advantage of the recovery, the survivor is often able to hold forward and make it to a building or a structure that she can't throw over. Compare that to someone like Nurse (my main), who always has the potential to down.
I've played against many skilled Hutnresses. None have made me feel like she is that powerful. My escape rate isn't great against her, but that has more to do with solo que and potato teammates lasting for 5 seconds in the chase.
I completely agree. Huntress being 4.4m/s and being slowed when holding up a hatchet (even if you want to immediately throw it) AND while putting it away, and also having her lullaby and a mapwide notification sound when she readies a hatchet, honestly makes her less viable than Deathslinger (who is also kinda bad) in my opinion. And believe me--I used to be one of those Survivors who lauded Huntresses' ability, and thought she was truly A tier or better.... but no longer. I've played against many P3 Huntresses, Huntress mains and even Hated Addon Huntresses, and I must say that I escape against Huntress more than against any other Killer.... and surprisingly, my teammates do as well!
The reason I say that Deathslinger is more viable than Huntress is because he just does certain things better, except maybe pallets.... but he can pull people around certain pallets, so there's that! He doesn't have a lullaby, he has a small terror radius which can be made even smaller, and his harpoon gun is much faster to use than Huntress's hatchets and the projectile has the same travel time as a fully-charged Hatchet (with no mapwide notification when it's ready to use). Playing against Deathslinger is thrilling, while playing against Huntress is "hold W and circle the pallet until she gets close enough, then vacuum backwards and hit her with it". And you're right--Huntress is pretty bad on most maps. Surprisingly, the only map that I consistently do well on when I'm playing as her is Hawkins! But other than that, she's just so slow, and with her hum being far-reaching it makes for easy hides when she draws near.
Although she is very map dependent, she is also extremely good. A good huntress can shut down loops as fast as Deathslinger and not have to reload as much as him. Her chase game has too much potential for her to be at least high tier. I agree she is far below top 3 though.