Stereotypes and Biases

Back for more psychological analyses - this time, I'm interested in how players perceive particular characters, based on things they've heard, past experiences, etc.

They could be survivors or killers. Do you expect certain killers to camp or meme? Do you dread being put on a team with someone playing a specific survivor? Do you judge someone's likely skill level based on who they're playing or what cosmetics they're wearing? Do you tunnel people or let them live based on their character or cosmetics? And why?

Let me know all about your in-game prejudices, rational or otherwise! It doesn't have to be limited to the questions above, those are just prompts to get you thinking.

(Usual disclaimer applies - I am a design student, using the DBD forums as a case study for my Honours research project. I won't include any personally identifying information, such as usernames, but insights gained from this post may be used as part of my studies.)

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • Well, I'll put my little grant of sand here.


    I do expect LF to camp if I am a surv, however as a killler I don't camp. It's odd since I have a love/hate relationship with LF, I like playing him for some reason but I can't get anywhere with the chainsaw sometimes and it bothers me.

    I dread being put with Claudettes that are going to play inmersive, not every Claudette is though. Also those survivors who only farm you.

    I don't really let alive any survivor unless they are good. Although I like the cosmetic of daddy David :P

    If I see a survivor as a killer in, let's say in less than 15 seconds of the match I might hit them but I'll let them go since it's not fair nor fun for them.

    I do judge people based on their cosmetics, as another players have said. Nea's with bright hair usually means "hey, I am a toxic player", of course there are a few Nea's who are not. Prestige means that you have a few hours in-game, not that you're good, I do have prestiged characters and I am not good at all.


    I am not influenced by cosmetics except for the toxic Nea's. Basically it makes you biased because most of them are toxic people and you get angry at them because even if they fail, they just want to make fun of you. It's not because they like the cosmetic or something

  • @Xzan said:

    Let's start with the classic camping Leatherface.

    The following killers with P3 makes me think they are good: Trapper, Bingbong, Billy, Nurse. Basically the "classic" ones.

    Ghostfaces are either tryhards or absolute memelords.

    Players using legacy outfits usually gain some respect from me and I expect them to be good at the game.

    Blendettes are useless.

    Nancys are the "megheads" for me.

    Survivors with bright outfits are usually the toxic ones and will dc if you outplay them. Bonuspoints if they stay for the rest of the game to yell at you in the endgamechat.

    Jeffs are not toxic.

    Sorry, going through the responses for my project and I have another question - how do you define a Blendette? Is it just by their cosmetics, or do you wait to see how they behave in the match?

  • @slimeslime said:

    I always give Feng Min hatch, provided they don't wiggle

    Why Feng in particular?

  • @ddubuckyee_user said:

    I don't know if this will help.

    Jake park, red china shirt?, and flash light.

    In our server, survivors in certain clothes do tea-bagging at a high probability.

    It's a prejudice caused by one streamer.

    So I find another room when I see a survivor wearing such clothes.

    May I ask, which server do you play on?

  • @Fibijean said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1266210#Comment_1266210

    Sorry, going through the responses for my project and I have another question - how do you define a Blendette? Is it just by their cosmetics, or do you wait to see how they behave in the match?

    I know some people are bias about Claudette and some assume all Claudette’s are toxic. But I honestly think it’s just People with very wild imaginations that use her character And are seen as childish 🤷‍♂️. But then she’s not the only character people use In game to be childish with cause I’ve seen plenty of other people using other DBD characters To act Toxic and childish with.

  • @SunaIIanu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1267455#Comment_1267455

    I agree with you, I don't expect people with Prestige to play better. Might be because I think Prestige is useless and don't prestige my characters anymore, but especially on non license characters I can't understand going for Prestige Outfits when they have so many more interesting ones in the shop. To be honest, if the Player with Prestige has an open profile and I can see they have only a few hours, I presume they have poor jugdement. (I think it can be a different case with Prestige on Killers.)

    To the other questions: Like many others I expect LF to camp, also the Hag. Nurses and (spirits) tend to be really sweaty imo, I don't think any Killer is more likely to meme from my experience.

    Dread would be to harsh to say, but I'm a bit suspicious of blendettes (because some of them do nothing) and Davids (because some of them farm for wglf).

    I expect people with basic outfits (and Prestige in some cases) to be newer and less experienced and I expect blendettes to be bad at Looping.

    I don't tunnel or let people live based on a certain cosmetic.

    You say that you expect people with prestige to be new in certain cases. Would you be able to elaborate on what those cases are - when do you judge someone with prestige to be a new player, and when do you assume differently?

  • @feechima said:

    I expect all Leatherfaces, Wraiths, Pigs, and Trappers to have Noed. I am surprised when Billys, Myers, and Nurses have it.

    Since the change to Doc I expect all docs to be running either Iridescent king/queen and I am pleasantly surprised when that is not the case. I also expect power spamming. In this way I find him very obnoxious.

    As many have said I expect Leatherface to camp, proxy or otherwise and to be the most likely to have Franklins.

    Spirit means tunnelcity.

    A lot of Huntresses and Legions seem easy to trigger even without bming as if they take your evasion personal.

    Ghostfaces seem more likely to joke around with you.

    Trappers the most benevolent.

    Clowns for me have been the most toxic.

    Blendies are nearly almost guaranteed to let you rot on hook while never getting chased.

    Prestige 3 on almost any character usually means a hider and not a runner. Bright clothes are your runners. I even switch to Nea when I mean business after a series of bad games.

    I have a prejudice against Jakes I am working on. Been burned by them too many times and can be overly critical of their motives.

    Neas on Xbox to urban evade everywhere. Neas on PC to be an anklebreaker.

    Good chance Megs are walking half the match to save SB.

    Not really a killer bias but if the offering is Cut Coin or Hawkins I brace for a rough match. Cut Coin for toxic and Hawkins for crapshow.

    What kind of experiences have you had that have made you prejudiced against Jakes?

    Also, could you explain what an anklebreaker is? I'm a bit behind on the lingo, apparently!

  • @Booper_Of_Snoot said:

    P3 survivors will likely be running most, of all the meta.

    If I only see one flashlight I gamble based on cosmetics they know how to use it

    Matching cosmetics are often the fun police

    I expect huntresses who cant hit hatchets well to camp

    I expect almost all Deathsling, I-, I hate this name. all Debt-slingers often proxy camp and overall either tunnel or play sweaty.

    I expect all billies and oni's to tunnel, and if they're bad with their power to hard camp or be super toxic in the endgame

    Bubbas are either memeing or suck ass.

    clowns, if base cosmetic + frosty eyes camp, and tunnel, if they have cosmetics, oten play decent but have noed.

    Trappers will always hard camp if they feel even slightly backed into a corner

    All hags "trap camp" and my teammates I always expect to be to stupid to crouch

    Snoot owners are always fun, unless they're new to her, which then often end in mori/noed.

    Freddies are always fun police, with 2+ slowdown or annoying add ons and consistent mori's.

    Demos are always the guys who don't care if they do good or bad, will BM to meme and overall are fun to go against

    legion will always have thana, and pop, and if you make them miss a hit in FF expect to me tunneled or proxy camped

    I don't see enough plagues to make one, but I always expect my teammates to cleanse, and the plague to be running thana and play half decent mostly.

    Davids are just, how are they so stupid, so consistently????

    Doctors always tunnel when newer, and when better are honestly some of the most annoying games to play

    Michaels are always moreso decent, or memers, which always lead to a f un match full of jumpscares and "OH HE WaS STALKING US"

    Nurses are either babys or gods. No inbetween.

    Wraiths, base cosmetic, will invisi-camp. With P3 cosmetics or pricey cosmetics, will play better, but probably try to play like TRU3

    Ghostfaces are always sweaty. Not necessarily good, but sweaty.

    Most Neas are wannabe Ussylis and Boob3

    Dwights are either hidden gods or suck

    megs, oh god, they're megheads everytime.

    claudette you can count on being useless, unless theyre running some premium cosmetic. Then its a 50/50 idf theyre good,

    Jakes are either ascended survivors, monto impersonators, or memers

    Aces are confident, and somehow will do great on loops they should suck at, and suck at loops that are braindead easy

    Bills are new, or day-1 vets.

    Fengs are Neas, but asian.

    Laurie you can count on having DS and the confidence behind having old DS, but never having the skill to back old DS

    Davids are stoopid

    Quentins, I dont see any

    Dont see any tapps

    Kates are always annoying

    Adams ALWAYS EITHER HAVE PEBBLE OR DELIVERANCE

    The rest I dont really have stereotypes.

    Sorry, I actually have more questions.

    How do you decide whether someone is good with a flashlight based on their cosmetics?

    What kind of toxic behaviour do you expect from bad Hillbillys during the endgame?

    By "trap camping" as Hag, do you mean placing traps around hooked survivors?

    What kind of BM do you get from meming Demos?

    What do you mean by Jakes being "ascended"?

  • @NinjaDette1 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1274472#Comment_1274472

    I know some people are bias about Claudette and some assume all Claudette’s are toxic. But I honestly think it’s just People with very wild imaginations that use her character And are seen as childish 🤷‍♂️. But then she’s not the only character people use In game to be childish with cause I’ve seen plenty of other people using other DBD characters To act Toxic and childish with.

    She does have a very particular reputation because of the way she's historically been used by most people, but of course there are exceptions. I agree that it's a bit unfortunate, especially since she does seem like a genuinely nice person, lore-wise.

  • @Booper_Of_Snoot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1274533#Comment_1274533

    Okay, so in order from top to bottom

    -Normally the prestige mixed with typical toxic are good, if not great

    -I expect hard camping, noed, saw being held whilst the guy is literally kissing billy billy is so close on hook

    -I mean being within eh 30 meters of hook along with 2 or 3 traps on one hook, just 1 trap and make your choice is a strategy

    -Downing, spinning, jusg making the walking sushi roll look like a idiot, I love it.

    -Jakes being literal gods of the game, somehow running every loop perfectly, getting a ton of skillchecks and hitting great without fail, and somehow running nothing in the meta and still somehow running killer for 3+ gens

    Very helpful, thank you! ❤️

  • @Fibijean said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1267677#Comment_1267677

    You say that you expect people with prestige to be new in certain cases. Would you be able to elaborate on what those cases are - when do you judge someone with prestige to be a new player, and when do you assume differently?

    I usually won't expect a new player when someone is playing a license charakter with prestige, imo prestiging them makes sense because they have fewer outfit choices. They are also not free, so not everybody is going to have them right from the start.

    The number of the prestige also plays a role, I do expect someone with p1 to be newer than someone with p3. I am the most certain that someone is new, when they play p1 (with the other Outfit parts being the default) on a free character with many cosmetic options, especially when they play meg, because she has so many options and her prestige is so ugly. Claudette is a bit of an odd case, but I think experienced players play either full prestige or no prestige.

  • @Fibijean said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1266210#Comment_1266210

    Sorry, going through the responses for my project and I have another question - how do you define a Blendette? Is it just by their cosmetics, or do you wait to see how they behave in the match?

    No problem! :)

    Cosmetic wise. If they behave like expected.. well prejudice confirmed. If not. Fine.

    (I associate a certain toxic streamer with Blendette. So there is another point for my bias)

    I have a friend who plays a blendette. She's really good at hiding, but is also doing gens. So basically the example of a useful blendette. I still raise my eyebrow sometimes, but I know I can trust her ingame.

  • @Xzan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1274472#Comment_1274472

    No problem! :)

    Cosmetic wise. If they behave like expected.. well prejudice confirmed. If not. Fine.

    (I associate a certain toxic streamer with Blendette. So there is another point for my bias)

    I have a friend who plays a blendette. She's really good at hiding, but is also doing gens. So basically the example of a useful blendette. I still raise my eyebrow sometimes, but I know I can trust her ingame.

    So in other words, if someone is using the typical Blendette cosmetics (P3 skin or dark clothing) you expect them to be useless, but you're also open to being proven wrong once the match starts?

  • @Fibijean said:

    Back for more psychological analyses - this time, I'm interested in how players perceive particular characters, based on things they've heard, past experiences, etc.

    They could be survivors or killers. Do you expect certain killers to camp or meme? Do you dread being put on a team with someone playing a specific survivor? Do you judge someone's likely skill level based on who they're playing or what cosmetics they're wearing? Do you tunnel people or let them live based on their character or cosmetics? And why?

    Let me know all about your in-game prejudices, rational or otherwise! It doesn't have to be limited to the questions above, those are just prompts to get you thinking.

    (Usual disclaimer applies - I am a design student, using the DBD forums as a case study for my Honours research project. I won't include any personally identifying information, such as usernames, but insights gained from this post may be used as part of my studies.)

    I expect all Megs to be useless..... I have yet to be proven wrong. I'm sure out there is a good Meg, but I've been playing for years and haven't run across a non useless Meg to this day.

    Steve is male Meg fyi.

  • @Fibijean said:

    Back for more psychological analyses - this time, I'm interested in how players perceive particular characters, based on things they've heard, past experiences, etc.

    They could be survivors or killers. Do you expect certain killers to camp or meme? Do you dread being put on a team with someone playing a specific survivor? Do you judge someone's likely skill level based on who they're playing or what cosmetics they're wearing? Do you tunnel people or let them live based on their character or cosmetics? And why?

    Let me know all about your in-game prejudices, rational or otherwise! It doesn't have to be limited to the questions above, those are just prompts to get you thinking.

    (Usual disclaimer applies - I am a design student, using the DBD forums as a case study for my Honours research project. I won't include any personally identifying information, such as usernames, but insights gained from this post may be used as part of my studies.)

    Ha. Literally.


    Interesting comments in this thread.

  • If i see a killer with frosty eyes, i already know it's gonna be a newbie killer.

    And everytime i see a bubba, he has to facecamp, it's his god given job

  • @Fibijean said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1275316#Comment_1275316

    So in other words, if someone is using the typical Blendette cosmetics (P3 skin or dark clothing) you expect them to be useless, but you're also open to being proven wrong once the match starts?

    It's a bit like in reallife. If I see someone with long hair and a long beard, I assume they like metal.

    And yes, it's an expectation, but I will give the benefit of the doubt. But I should reword it maybe. It's more of an assumption, then an expectation, or something in between these two. Can't explain it better :D

  • @Xzan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1275321#Comment_1275321

    It's a bit like in reallife. If I see someone with long hair and a long beard, I assume they like metal.

    And yes, it's an expectation, but I will give the benefit of the doubt. But I should reword it maybe. It's more of an assumption, then an expectation, or something in between these two. Can't explain it better :D

    No that's all good, the clarification was very helpful, thank you 😊

  • Yeah, I'm finding it really fascinating. Some characters got less love than others, though... I'm thinking of creating some smaller, character-focused threads because I'm sure there are opinions about those others out there as well and I'd love to hear them.

1 2 ›