Why do so many people complain that Freddy is a "boring" killer?

His abilities are a lot more unique and exciting than most of the other m1 killers (Trapper, Clown, Wraith). Most of the m1 killers only have one ability and I would argue that bear traps, cloaking, and fart clouds are nowhere near as exciting as teleports that can be mindgamed, loop-countering snares, and fake pallets. Is it because Freddy is actually strong compared to the other m1 killers? Or is it because he is percieved as simpler to play? Sure Freddy players have a reputation for slowdown perks but you can blame the genrush meta for making it a good tactic. Some claim Freddy is even OP as the best m1 killer but Nurse and Spirit are always rated higher than him (and if Nurse and Spirit deserve their place at the top due to their skill floor, I wouldn't say Spirit is that much harder to play than an m1 killer).

Considering he's more exciting and stronger than most of the other m1 killers... Why all the Freddy hate?

Comments

  • @NursesBootie said:

    He got a low skillcap AND a low skillfloor. If you understand killers there's nothing skillful about freddy.

    +1

    Sounds like if you fail to play Nurse, if you fail to play Spirit, if you fail to play Huntress, if you fail to play Demogorgon,... the next step is to Play always Freddy (i am not surv main).

  • Survivors don't like it when they can't loop the killer.

  • @Entity_Hugs said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1262560#Comment_1262560

    This really explains why I like Freddy, I guess: I suck as Nurse, I suck as Spirit, I'm pretty hecking bad as Huntress, and I don't really like Demo. 😂

    I hate you ! ^..^ I am aimless with Huntress and i can only MindGame 100%, that's the reason i play Spirit 100%

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    Survivors don't like it when they can't loop the killer.

    You can loop Freddy, you just gotta treat him like Clown. He's literally just boring. Most killers even complain about M1 killers(or used to), and Freddy is exactly that, so I'm not sure why survivors are the only people who would be saying Freddy is boring. I used to play him a lot, and I have a combo that can make me get a 3k for doing mostly nothing. Doesn't make him any more fun because that combo, like everything Freddy uses, is just passive bonuses. He's basically Myers without an instadown, but without all the things that makes Myers interesting, except WITH a bunch of things that swing the game in his favor without him actually doing anything while also having Huntress' Lullaby with no Terror Radius.

  • @Atrushan88 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1262578#Comment_1262578

    You can loop Freddy, you just gotta treat him like Clown. He's literally just boring. Most killers even complain about M1 killers(or used to), and Freddy is exactly that, so I'm not sure why survivors are the only people who would be saying Freddy is boring. I used to play him a lot, and I have a combo that can make me get a 3k for doing mostly nothing. Doesn't make him any more fun because that combo, like everything Freddy uses, is just passive bonuses.

    So what if you have to throw down the pallet early?

    Many pallets on the map are safe you know.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1262601#Comment_1262601

    So what if you have to throw down the pallet early?

    Many pallets on the map are safe you know.

    Did I complain about throwing the pallet early at all in my post? I will respectfully disagree on the second comment though. If anything I complained more about USING Freddy than playing against him, but go off I guess?


    Freddy is just a surface level killer with all animation and no actual depth.

  • @Atrushan88 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1262609#Comment_1262609

    Did I complain about throwing the pallet early at all in my post? I will respectfully disagree on the second comment though.

    I assumed you were playing devil's advocate. Point is, I don't get all the Freddy hate. Sure, his power isn't the most interactive.

    But people should absolutely not be calling for any nerfs (I'm not pointing the finger at you). Most of the maps are survivor-sided, which is why I think killers like Freddy are needed.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1262616#Comment_1262616

    I assumed you were playing devil's advocate. Point is, I don't get all the Freddy hate. Sure, his power isn't the most interactive.

    But people should absolutely not be calling for any nerfs (I'm not pointing the finger at you). Most of the maps are survivor-sided, which is why I think killers like Freddy are needed.

    Again, disagree. Most survivor sided map before map changes was 53% kill rate. That's 2 kills on average. Many things have changed in favor of killers SINCE those changes, so I don't see how that makes much sense. Doesn't matter though as this is just an opinion, none of this is fact aside from the statistic I just mentioned.

    I didn't call for nerfs, and I don't think this original post said anything about nerfs either. If anything I think Freddy needs to be reworked again. He's not fun, he just wins because a lot of things are in his favor just because. He's the Darius/Warwick/Caitlyn/Lux/Soraka(with even less skill expression of all of those champions) of Dead By Daylight, but with a likely better win rate. I'd like to keep the pallets, but all the other passive bonuses are just boring and there's no real reward for playing him because he doesn't have any skill expression at all.


    I think it'd be better if the dream world was just automatically implied instead of had anything to do with his actual abilities. Just more like a "Freddy is the killer, so you're automatically in the dream world". Not "Oh but you have to go all the way across the map, or fail a skill check(if he isn't running a certain addon) to wake up and etc etc etc". Just because he can only kill people in the dream world in lore, doesn't mean you can't just automatically assume all players are in the dream world in a trial. That would solve both the issue of old Freddy and new Freddy, and then he could get more interesting addons.

  • I love new Freddy but I loved the old one more. Used to be a nearly red-rank nightmare main.


    The issue with New Freddy is 99% of Freddy players use the same builds on him. OG Freddy actually had a very underrated base kit (Stealth, VERY GOOD tracking. EXTREMELY good stall. The dream transition mindgame. Juggling targets.) which allowed for a good build variety on him. (You didn't need OG Ruin. You didn't need tracking perks. Monitor + Red Paint Brush = 0 TR FREDDY.)


    New Freddy pretty much has synergy with BBQ and POP (Find new target after hooking with BBQ, warp to their gen, kick with pop) and that's about it.


    His addons are also poopoo. I LOVED OG Fred's addons (I've gotten so many grabs with Pill Bottle or harassed the entire survivor team start to finish with class photo. Paint Brush + Z-Block for a 3 second dream transition. I pioneered "One Punch Freddy" during the Mettle Of Man Crisis. (STBFL, PYWF, M&A, Rancor. Ignore the obsession all game, one hit mori at the end!) There were a few "Toxic" builds too like Black Box + the OG "Tunnel The Obsession" Dying Light + a Mori.)


    New Freddy's addons just suck. The slowdown addons were nerfed into oblivion. Pill Bottle (You need to get closer to become visible) and the dresses for extra regression/aura reveal on failed skill checks aren't THAT strong. (Most survivors stay asleep anyway. Pill bottle really should reduce the lullaby when asleep too so it provides a buff vs both awake and asleep surviviors)


    The blocks suck. Why does he have TWO hemorrhage addons? Why does he have a Very Rare hemorrhage addon? Bleeding while healthy is almost pointless! It should work like Father's Glasses or that one Soot addon for Wraith where it comes with a free Bloodhound (Blood is highlighted) for either all survivors who are asleep and bleeding, or only if they're currently under the hemorrhage debuff timer from setting off a dream trap.


    IMHO Freddy should have an addon that shows aura "Blips" for survivors outside a certain range similar to OG Freddy. Not a constant aura, but for about 2 seconds every 15 seconds.


    Basically New Freddy is boring because he has little build variety besides the typical Enduring+Spirit Fury combo combined with BBQ and POP. (Sometimes one perk is substituted with TInkerer or Surveillance)

  • @Atrushan88 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1262635#Comment_1262635

    Again, disagree. Most survivor sided map before map changes was 53% kill rate. That's 2 kills on average. Many things have changed in favor of killers SINCE those changes, so I don't see how that makes much sense. Doesn't matter though as this is just an opinion, none of this is fact aside from the statistic I just mentioned.

    I didn't call for nerfs, and I don't think this original post said anything about nerfs either. If anything I think Freddy needs to be reworked again. He's not fun, he just wins because a lot of things are in his favor just because. He's the Darius/Warwick/Caitlyn/Lux/Soraka(with even less skill expression of all of those champions) of Dead By Daylight, but with a likely better win rate. I'd like to keep the pallets, but all the other passive bonuses are just boring and there's no real reward for playing him because he doesn't have any skill expression at all.

    I think it'd be better if the dream world was just automatically implied instead of had anything to do with his actual abilities. Just more like a "Freddy is the killer, so you're automatically in the dream world". Not "Oh but you have to go all the way across the map, or fail a skill check(if he isn't running a certain addon) to wake up and etc etc etc". Just because he can only kill people in the dream world in lore, doesn't mean you can't just automatically assume all players are in the dream world in a trial. That would solve both the issue of old Freddy and new Freddy, and then he could get more interesting addons.

    Oh, so you don't even account for all the really bad players that muddy the statistics. No point in carrying on the conversation then.

    Have a nice day.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1262662#Comment_1262662

    Oh, so you don't even account for all the really bad players that muddy the statistics. No point in carrying on the conversation then.

    Have a nice day.

    Those statistics were at rank 1 I believe? If you're talking about bad rank 1 players, then they're still at the top of the list. It's not like they can go any higher. And again, that had nothing to do with this conversation to begin with. You're just stating an OPINION with no backed up facts but personal experience(which is not a fact), to derail the conversation into "survivors have it all". The conversation was about Freddy being boring, and he is, which I have mentioned several times WHY he is.

  • Here's the thing. There are a lot of really bad players that muddy the numbers. Many of these players should not be ranking up, they need to stay in brown ranks.

    When good survivors are involved, the balance of DbD changes drastically. Unfortunately, the devs balance around bad players.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1262755#Comment_1262755

    Here's the thing. There are a lot of really bad players that muddy the numbers. Many of these players should not be ranking up, they need to stay in brown ranks.

    When good survivors are involved, the balance of DbD changes drastically. Unfortunately, the devs balance around bad players.

    Are you saying that it's impossible for there to be bad killers at higher ranks as well?

  • @Atrushan88 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1262761#Comment_1262761

    Are you saying that it's impossible for there to be bad killers at higher ranks as well?

    I'm sure there are boosted killers as well.

  • Okay, then why does it matter? Boosted killers also skew the numbers. There will also be games with boosted killers vs boosted survivors. That makes the data accurate? Either way, please stop devolving the topic into meaningless drivel. It's about Freddy being boring, not anything about "good maps for killers" or "good maps for survivors".

  • @Atrushan88 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1262769#Comment_1262769

    Okay, then why does it matter? Boosted killers also skew the numbers. There will also be games with boosted killers vs boosted survivors. That makes the data accurate?

    There are four survivors. All it takes is one weak link to bring the whole team down.

    I've played this game at rank 1 on both sides for a long time. With that experience, I've learned why DbD has balance problems. It's because the devs refuse to balance around good players.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1262770#Comment_1262770

    There are four survivors. All it takes is one weak link to bring the whole team down.

    I've played this game at rank 1 on both sides for a long time. With that experience, I've learned why DbD has balance problems. It's because the devs refuse to balance around good players.

    And what you are saying, with your completely off topic tangent, is that non experienced survivors should always die regardless of whether or not they are more experienced than the killer. Because we all know a rank 20 killer vs rank 20 survivors will always get a 4k as is, but now only rank 1 survivors should live because clearly the maps need to be catered to the best killers. Either way, if you're not gonna talk about the topic, then I'm just gonna stop replying. So continue to go off on your off topic survivor vs killer tangent if you wish, I'm not gonna be here for it anymore.

  • @Atrushan88 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1262776#Comment_1262776

    And what you are saying, with your completely off topic tangent, is that non experienced survivors should always die regardless of whether or not they are more experienced than the killer. Because we all know a rank 20 killer vs rank 20 survivors will always get a 4k as is, but now only rank 1 survivors should live because clearly the maps need to be catered to the best killers. Either way, if you're not gonna talk about the topic, then I'm just gonna stop replying. So continue to go off on your off topic survivor vs killer tangent if you wish, I'm not gonna be here for it anymore.

    You engaged with me first. And I tried to explain to you why this game has issues.

    If you won't take my word for it, ask any of the veteran players. Many of them will tell you the same thing.

    Once you acquire thousands of hours like me, you've already experienced everything this game has to offer. Which is why I'm confident with my statements.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1262786#Comment_1262786

    You engaged with me first. And I tried to explain to you why this game has issues.

    If you won't take my word for it, ask any of the veteran players. Many of them will tell you the same thing.

    Once you acquire thousands of hours like me, you've already experienced everything this game has to offer. Which is why I'm confident with my statements.

    Yes, and my engagement was NOT about who has what. My engagement was that you CAN loop Freddy, when you said a very snide comment about survivors "not liking being unable to loop a killer". It had absolutely nothing to do with anything that you've brought off topic. I don't count my hours either, because experience isn't anything if you don't have the data. You only see your experience, but again, not important because you're just trying to derail the thread into "survivor AT MY VERY SPECIFIC RANK have it too easy so all balance should go toward MY experience". You're just trying to poke at people on the other side. Now that I've addressed what MY engagement was about and how it was not similar to yours, I'm done with this.

  • @Atrushan88 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1262803#Comment_1262803

    Yes, and my engagement was NOT about who has what. My engagement was that you CAN loop Freddy, when you said a very snide comment about survivors "not liking being unable to loop a killer". It had absolutely nothing to do with anything that you've brought off topic. I don't count my hours either, because experience isn't anything if you don't have the data. You only see your experience, but again, not important because you're just trying to derail the thread into "survivor AT MY VERY SPECIFIC RANK have it too easy so all balance should go toward MY experience". You're just trying to poke at people on the other side. Now that I've addressed what MY engagement was about and how it was not similar to yours, I'm done with this.

    The topic was about survivors who think Freddy is boring. I said survivors generally don't like anti-loop killers, which is true.

    My original comment was on topic.

1 2 ›