What's your opinion about Freddy?

Heyo, I wanna hear your opinion about the nightmare. Imo, it's a successful rework, but it made him a bit too strong. Here's why:

The Freddy gameplay, on red ranks, it's the same for every Freddy: you find someone, use your snares to down them, you hook em, you see where a gen is worked on with bbq and u pop it, rinse and repeat. There is almost nobody using fake pallets, so we can have at least some change of pace, and don't even get me started with forever Freddy. People said it time and time again, Freddy is boring to go against. That's my whole opinion about this guy.

I don't play him, and I probably won't ever play him, so I can't judge from the fun to play perspective.

What is your opinion? Let me know down below.

Comments

  • I turn my brain off and wait for the next match. He puts me to sleep in game and in real life.

  • @ChainsawCharlie said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1256853#Comment_1256853

    Yes. I'm gonna tell you that. Nurse could cut loops off because she can literally teleport through walls and pallets. Vaults, pallets, and everything else become useless against a good Nurse and she used to be able to have 5 blinks. Her base movement speed used to be faster as well. Omegablink Nurse could easily traverse the map in a quick way, the only difference was that she could go ANYWHERE and not just to generators.

    And Sprit with Mother Daughter Ring and Prayer Beads? Literally speed racer across the map and you can't even hear her phasing but you claim she could "never do the same"? How do you not know this stuff? You MUST be new. You've just exposed yourself buddy LOL

    I'm aware of how Nurse/Spirit used to be. But they still can't do what Freddy does and never have been able to. Nice try. :)

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1257111#Comment_1257111

    Be awake. Its literally a bigger counter than either of the two you mentioned. That said, trapper being able to step in his own traps is still kinda outdated as hell, its a bit of a bad example since other killers can't exactly get hit by their own powers. Being able to disarm them is fine and dandy, though.

    Since you bring up hag, actually disarming her trap requires using a flashlight... Would you be ok with using medkit charges to remove the blood from the snares? Thats the main counterplay I could think of that you'd be insinuating...

    People kept saying “just wake up 4head” but this falls apart:

    1. you passively fall asleep without any input from Freddy anyway.
    2. you can fall asleep rather fast, including during chase, rendering this null.
    3. nobody is addressing the MAIN issue of RISK. When I mention Trapper or Hag, they have to stop and set their traps, Freddy does not and simply recycles them to be used for the current loop, no movement speed penalty or anything to negate spamming M2 and holding W. “Just wake up” does not change this.
  • I think he's too many killers in one with anything that would really take skill to use given pretty much free like the full speed snare placement.

  • @BigTimeGamer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1257183#Comment_1257183

    People kept saying “just wake up 4head” but this falls apart:

    1. you passively fall asleep without any input from Freddy anyway.
    2. you can fall asleep rather fast, including during chase, rendering this null.
    3. nobody is addressing the MAIN issue of RISK. When I mention Trapper or Hag, they have to stop and set their traps, Freddy does not and simply recycles them to be used for the current loop, no movement speed penalty or anything to negate spamming M2 and holding W. “Just wake up” does not change this.

    Freddy has a limit on how many traps can be active at a time, with no ability to remove them. That means that if he goes past his limit, it removes the oldest one he placed (similar to hag.) This also means that if he wants to put them in key places BEFORE a chase, he is limited on how many he can use before he risks disarming his own chokepoints. That can be a pretty big deal if a team is playing well and/or setting off traps far away from him knowing where he is, making it yet another power that gets blown up by comms. He also has a visible tell when he's placing a snare, so you can just abandon the loop when he does it. This creates a mindgame when he poses to use his power, much like many other killers who have similar tells.

    On top of all of that, again, it does literally nothing if you are awake. No other killer has an immunity like that to deal with, like imagine if the Clown couldn't hinder someone for 90 seconds if they picked up a gas mask somewhere on the map? Like you just did in your post, people downplay being awake HARD vs freddy. The devs straight up gave you a way to 100% nullify his ability vs you, what more do you want? If you think that the time you're awake is too short, you grossly underestimate how little time the killer has to build and keep map pressure and momentum. If you were to grab an alarm clock and then immediately start working on a gen next to it, you would be awake for the entire length of the gens repair easily. This would both negate his dream slowdown addons, and also would make him unable to use snares or pallets when he reaches you. In the case of Pallets, it also gives you plenty of time to survey the area to see which pallets actually exist before you fall asleep.

    That said, your first two points seem pretty unrealistic. If you honestly have an issue with 1, you must not even remember having to wait over 7 seconds to even be able to hit survivors. If your second point is real, then do you.... expect the timer to stop when in a chase? Because the way it works now is perfectly fine, and like I mentioned, is a HUGE reason why pallets are generally considered weaker than snares. And even then with snares, you have full immunity to them while awake. So its a good chunk of time where he is only an m1 killer (assuming you bother waking up and taking advantage of it)

    There are a lot of times where backlash against killer powers are a product of survivor's lacking an ability to adapt their strategy. Its part of why I'm such a big promoter of Kindred, as it gives you all the information you could need to adapt your play to the need at hand. When I see survivors act like they're too good for that information, then immediately turn around and complain about people rushing the hook/unsafe unhooks/nobody working on gens/etc, its like they have an answer but just refuse to use it and would rather complain about it. I feel the same way about freddy a lot, as that mentality is exactly why he is so strong (especially vs solo survivors.)

  • As someone who plays more killer than survivor, I think he is insanely boring on both ends.

  • @DelsKibara said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1256886#Comment_1256886

    Again, maybe it is a region thing. But I've rarely seen Freddy with Snares now, especially in Rank 1. Yes, I know it's my opinion, but that's what makes these things opinions and not facts, even if a lot of people agree with you. Sometimes the majority opinion is just flatout wrong.

    They mostly use Pallets because it's a much better add-on to take especially around the endgame. You don't need slowdown, just to erode the survivor's trust in pallets. And no, I don't main Freddy. I main Spirit, but hey, according to this forum she is "equally as unskillled" because I have "good headphones".

    And yes, it is a thing. It always has been a thing, I never denied that. What I am denying though is seeing Freddy constantly using it because I've never met up with a Freddy that has the Forever Freddy builld in ages. In fact, I've rarely seen Freddy at all in Red Ranks. It's almost as if people overrate him and realize he isn't as powerful as most people, especially in this forum, thinks he is. It's almost as if he can get absolutely stomped by Survivors who keeps themselves awake, who actually knows what they are doing, who are actually good at the game.

    Yeah and so? It's not like it's instant. Hag, Demo, and Billy also have added bonuses to their teleportations. Hag can use add-ons that makes it invisible so they aren't even aware you trapped the area. Demo has built in Killer Instinct on Activated Portals, and Billy can use his chainsaw whenever he wants. With no cooldown.

    Freddy can only do it once every 30ish seconds. And even then, the reason his teleportation feels strong is because Survivors keeps running around everywhere leaving scratch marks rather than being stealthy when they see blood spewing out of the generators. Do you really think he knows where Survivors are at if they just hide? You're already given a pretty lenghty headstart, more than 5 seconds warning that he is teleporting to a generator. It's even worse if he fakes it, because then he has to recharge his teleport again without being able to push Survivors off of the generator.

    And again, something most people who actually knows how to play against Freddy will tell you.

    WAKE UP!

    If being in a dreamstate is such a hassle, then get out of it, miss skillchecks, use the alarm clocks. Do ANYTHING rather than staying in the dreamstate. He is an M1 killer outside of it and he is very much managable if you keep him busy while awake (which is already a pretty long ass time even with the passive cooldown)

    @DelsKibara said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1256952#Comment_1256952

    Oh, I'll admit it's strong. Same way using Yakuyoke Amulet and Mother-Daughter Ring on Spirit is strong, same way using Thanatophobia + Dying Light is strong on Legion, same way using Monitor & Abuse + Infectious Fright + Scalped Topknot is strong on Oni.

    It is strong, and while I don't see it as often, what's the problem with it again? A lot of combinations are strong on Killers. A lot of them can halt and stop the game.

    It can stop Survivors working on generators, but it wasn't as effective as it was prior to the nerf Freddy got.

    Hell, if you can keep Freddy busy for long, like 40-60 seconds tops, you'll already be able to get at least 3 generators almost done if survivors spread out and separate. Or a whole generator to be done if you stack on a single one. And it isn't hard to keep Freddy busy. Even with this perk. If he is running Forever Freddy, it means he isn't running any CHASE perks. And if you're awake (which you should always be doing especially against Freddy), then you're chasing an M1 Clown with no bootles around.

    And yes, Hag has to use an add-on, but she also has the sudden jumpscare factor which messes up your controls if she doesn't have that. "Demo makes a lot of noise"? You are aware when I say Killer Instinct I mean GIVING AWAY YOUR EXACT POSITION ON THE MAP right? He doesn't even need to teleport there immediately, just have the knowledge that you are there and he can come get you later. And again, Billy can use his chainsaw whenever he wants. And still, with that speed going across the map shouldn't be difficult.

    Freddy doesn't have any of those bonuses, just the ability to teleport, what DON'T you understand about that? Just because he can teleport doesn't make him instantly dangerous. He doesn't mess up your controls, he doesn't have map-wide awareness with activated portals, and he doesn't have an instadown. He can only teleport and he can only do it intermittently.

    And yes, 30 seconds. And 30 seconds is still a crippling cooldown. Then again, if you suck, 30 seconds can seem like not a lot of time for Freddy to get his power back ;) Also he cannot afford to look around a generator for long, do you really think he will spend the time combing a tile for Survivors who are stealthy? Of course not, especially because combing around for Survivors who hide really well can be difficult and time consuming.

    Lets take an L Wall tile for example.

    You see him teleport right after he hooks a survivor, where do you think you should go? Go farther from the direction of the hooked survivor, but walk behind the L wall, and keep yourself out of LOS of Freddy. If someone who is working with you panics and runs, then he will most likely go after them. Then you can continue working on the generator he just (presumably) damaged. With this knowledge, you can also tell that he is either running BBQ or Discordance, so you know not to stack up with other survivors next time, or you can just... You know.. Hide in a locker? Which is the counter to BBQ. Rob him of this valuable information. He can't tell which generator to teleport to without guessing and wasting his power if you just hide.

    Also, I've rarely seen failing a skillcheck become a detriment nowadays. Especially if the killer is chasing someone else. They're focused on chasing them. Sure they might make a mental note of it later, but by then you will have woken up and ready to be chased rather than be in a disadvantaged position being in the dream state. Do you really think the killer will automatically come for you if you miss a skillcheck? Because I'm pretty sure he has more important survivors to worry about at that time being, especially during a chase.

    And of course, being in a dreamstate is detrimental. But it's not as bad as old Legion. Because if you're actually good at the game, if you know your loops, know how to run tiles and pallets, then his slowdown won't matter much. It only matters if you only capitalize on a single loop and not run from one loop to another to another to another. Effectively wasting his time setting up new snares in every single new loop. Sure, getting downed is easier especially in the dreamstate. But you're not automatically dead like Old Legion.

    @DelsKibara said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1257019#Comment_1257019

    You're telling me you're basing your opinions based off of Streamers and Content Creators? Seriously?

    So at this point you're not basing your opinion off of your own self, but the opinions of other people who may have completely different experiences to you?

    Look, Noob and Ussylis are great and all, but I personally wouldn't trust their opinion compared to someone like Otzdarva. If I want an opinion on how a Killer should feel in balance, I would go to someone who mainly plays Killer more often than Survivor. Of course, if they care about balance (like Otz), they won't say that Killers needs to be nerfed, just tweaked enough so they don't become useless. That they still have their power, and that they still have their potential.

    And I'm not saying Otz just because he is a Killer main, have you seen his Survivor gameplay? It's still really really good. So he obviously would take how Survivors view Freddy into consideration. And he hasn't said anything about Freddy needing to not have a teleport, needing to not have snares, etc etc.

    He has talked about how strong he is, but he also said that no killer should be stronger than Freddy. Meaning that Freddy is at that point of strong, while also weak enough to not constantly curbstomp survivors easily.

    Of course, you don't have to agree with him. But you shouldn't just easily agree with other content creators just because they agree with what you think should be changed. Overall, balance changes are in the hands of the devs, and recently they've done a pretty good job so far. Not even being sarcastic with the inside joke.

    Even if the community has amazing suggestions for buffs and changes, as long as the devs has different plans, then it's going to either stay the same or change based on what they think is best for the game.

    I don't mind it actually, if Freddy gets changes, buffs, nerfs, etc. But that will be the dev's decision. Freddy doesn't need to be nerfed to the ground, because as far as I can tell, most Survivors just hasn't been able to play against him at all.

    I genuinely am to lazy to read this, I'll think of a tldr, Freddy isn't actually a skilless killer, just people think he is for various reasons.

    I'm biased if I agree tho. Don't judge my laziness, I have 53 more messages to read and that's not a joke xd

  • I honestly think Freddy should have to go to one of his snares before teleporting to gens. I think that would solve a lot of issues. He doesn't require much skill and the moment the rework happened it wasn't hard to 4k and I almost always farm with him unless it's a try hard SWF team so you can't go based on statistics. BBQ, Discordance, and his slow down abilities makes it a little ridiculously easy to play him. It's easy to mind game for 3 gen situations because you can fake the gen teleport to get them off the gen and know what gen they were on with other perks. Also Billy needs a cooldown. 🙂

1 2 ›