Why Its Better To Run An Empty Slot Above Unnerving Presence

I never realized how bad of a perk Unnerving Presence was, until I started playing survivor more regularly recently.

Rank 20 trappers usually start with these sorts of perks, under the impression that it is actually useful. And for a time, I knew how weak it was, but I didn't know how bad it actually was, in such a way that its sometimes even counter-productive or downright harmful to the Killer.

As a new-ish survivor, I was still getting my skill checks down. But by this trapper game that came around I was hitting goods regularly and missed a skill check maybe once or twice per match.

I was repairing a gen while this trapper chased another survivor. I was in their terror radius and being affected by this perk. I was getting the skill checks pretty frequently, which was honestly intimidating at first... but then I realized something...

Although the success zones of a skill check is halved, I noticed that the Great Skill Check zones didn't seem to change. In fact, they seemed bigger. The whole time I was being affected by this perk, I was getting checks more frequently but also hitting Greats twice as much as I would have otherwise! I managed to shave off three or four seconds of gen progress by the amount of greats I got alone!

At that point, I fully realized just how bad of a perk Unnerving is; not just because its effect zone is so limited throughout the match, but because it can actually help survivors.

Never run this perk.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • Yeah, it lets me focus lol, really weird perk.

  • I've always felt like I hit the Great zone more often when the skill check is small like that.

  • It also gives you an icon when the killer is near but at the edge of the TR where you most likely don't hear the silent heartbeat due to the gen sounds

  • At least it's good on Doc, unlike Mindbreaker which is always useless.

  • Doc's skillcheck build sends his regards.

  • Greats shouldn't be bigger, it probably looks like that because Good is smaller.

    But yeah, because Good is smaller & Great remains unchanged, it means more of the total Skill Check now exists of Great.

    Makes sense that, if you can always hit Skill Checks, Unnerving Presence or not, that you'll hit Greats when affected by UP.

  • @Boss said:

    Greats shouldn't be bigger, it probably looks like that because Good is smaller.

    But yeah, because Good is smaller & Great remains unchanged, it means more of the total Skill Check now exists of Great.

    Makes sense that, if you can always hit Skill Checks, Unnerving Presence or not, that you'll hit Greats when affected by UP.

    Even so, that is a problem. Its a perk that not only is very niche, but actually has the potential of helping survivors. Unlike Dying Light, the reward you get for buffing a survivor isn't worth it (Hell, for Dying Light it's barely worth it).

    If Unnerving -removed- Great Skill Checks, it would not have the risk of helping survivors.

  • @Rezblaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1249951#Comment_1249951

    Even so, that is a problem. Its a perk that not only is very niche, but actually has the potential of helping survivors. Unlike Dying Light, the reward you get for buffing a survivor isn't worth it (Hell, for Dying Light it's barely worth it).

    If Unnerving -removed- Great Skill Checks, it would not have the risk of helping survivors.

    I'd love if Dying Light's debuffs wouldn't be removed upon the Obsession's death, just as long as you can still no longer gain Tokens when the Obsession's dead.

    Firstly, i didn't even know that UP didn't include Greats, i rarely encounter it and practically never use it.

    So i'd figure that, at the very least, include Greats in the reduction.

  • Ys it's a shame as it's a potentially very interesting perk. Just speeds up gens though making every skill check be a 50:50 of good or great. It's just plain silly.