I'm new to DBD, lets talk about the Ranking system. [RANT]

So I got the game on PC about two months ago, I've been playing only survivor on PC but was a killer main on PS4 a few years ago (I know its different on PC) I've gotten significantly better in my time playing as survivor on PC and noticed I'd Pip fairly regularly so long as the game lasted more than 4 mins, that is until I hit rank 3.

I hit rank three a day before rank reset last month and have failed to pip into rank 2 this entire month. Every game goes normal, I get a lot of saves, have some good chases, do a few gens, and then miss pipping by one mark. This has happened nearly thirty games in a row now with a few Mori nurses, and insidious leather-faces causing some depipping along the way. I made it back to one pip away from rank 2 only to get stuck in this endless loop of black piping and depiping. I am now rank 4 again and cant help but feel frustrated as everywhere I look I see people say Piping with Survivor is easy.

I am not a great survivor, I make plenty of mistakes, but is the ranking system so heavily dependent upon the three randoms you get paired with that you can run the killer for 5-6 min a game or get tunneled and farmed to death 2 minutes into the match and still get the same score of missing the pip by one point.

three golds and a silver, two iridescent and two silvers, three iridescent and a black, Always the same result and I honestly cant figure out what the hell i'm doing wrong.

At this point I don't know why I am bothering solo-queuing at these ranks, what reason is their to not join a 4 man SWF and actually have reliable teammates for once other than my personal respect for the killer mains that doesn't seem to even be mutual?

I know I'm just bitching here but FFS, I'm fed up with this ranking system's punishment on solo queuing. if i'm just blinded by frustration please tell me what i'm missing but for now I think i'm just done with DBD for a while.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • A lot of people agree that the rank system doesn't really mean anything, and big part of that is because the way you pip is kind of dumb. I wouldn't focus that much on ranking and pips, more just getting to play the game and do well.

  • Just a quick tip: Survival is the hardest category to score in, so use DS (+1500 points), Deliverance (+1000 points), and bring a medkit (each self heal is +300).

    Bad games will happen, just try to focus on maxing each point category and you'll get it eventually :)

  • Yeah. I get stuck in rank 5/4 for a while. Eventually I get stuck in reds. I feel like if you get the same quality of emblems, That should be a pip if its at least all gold or averages out to all gold. Found a bit of everything and not being useless/sandbag should be taken into account. Productivity gets us out and we should be rewarded for it

  • It's so easy to pip at red ranks:

    • Do 1 gen solo.
    • Do a totem.
    • Get a safe rescue.
    • Do 1 heal solo.
    • Get chased for 60 seconds. Stun the killer at least once.
    • Escape or survive for 9 minutes, whatever that takes.
    • Overperform in one of these areas to make up for another.
  • @thesuicidefox said:

    It's so easy to pip at red ranks:

    • Do 1 gen solo.
    • Do a totem.
    • Get a safe rescue.
    • Do 1 heal solo.
    • Get chased for 60 seconds. Stun the killer at least once.
    • Escape or survive for 9 minutes, whatever that takes.
    • Overperform in one of these areas to make up for another.

    The actions listed here (minus the survive) will take roughly 180 seconds or three mins to preform, this is not factoring in the killer or map traversal times in any way. the average length of matches I've been playing in take roughly ten mins each. factoring in reacting to the killer's influence, time spent on hook, time spent waiting for the opportunity to preform an action, and map traversal as well as match progression objectives IE doing more gens because your team are all SWF suicide rushing their hooked friend etc. does not often leave much time to complete this list in my experience. and that is only when you don't get one hooked, Mori-ed, tunneled at the start of the match, abandoned, or given suiciding teammates which drastically shorten the match.

    so I have to disagree with you at least in my experience.

  • @FalseMod said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244665#Comment_1244665

    The actions listed here (minus the survive) will take roughly 180 seconds or three mins to preform, this is not factoring in the killer or map traversal times in any way. the average length of matches I've been playing in take roughly ten mins each. factoring in reacting to the killer's influence, time spent on hook, time spent waiting for the opportunity to preform an action, and map traversal as well as match progression objectives IE doing more gens because your team are all SWF suicide rushing their hooked friend etc. does not often leave much time to complete this list in my experience. and that is only when you don't get one hooked, Mori-ed, tunneled at the start of the match, abandoned, or given suiciding teammates which drastically shorten the match.

    so I have to disagree with you at least in my experience.

    You have PLENTY of time to do these things. I pip consistently at rank 1 sometimes without even trying.

    When the game starts just rush a gen. If you get found you get chased, if not you finish a gen. By the time you finish someone will have been caught. Go save them and heal them off the hook. Now either go do a gen if you were chased first or go find the killer and get chased. Or do another gen for iri Lightbringer.

    It's not at all hard dude. Solo or SWF.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1248705#Comment_1248705

    You have PLENTY of time to do these things. I pip consistently at rank 1 sometimes without even trying.

    When the game starts just rush a gen. If you get found you get chased, if not you finish a gen. By the time you finish someone will have been caught. Go save them and heal them off the hook. Now either go do a gen if you were chased first or go find the killer and get chased. Or do another gen for iri Lightbringer.

    It's not at all hard dude. Solo or SWF.

    Wow, thanks for this constructive criticism and advice, I'll defiantly start doing gens when not being chased, unhooking and healing people when they are injured or get hooked, and running the killer when getting chased. I never would have thought to try that without your sage advice oh great and wise one, now I will have the knowledge to finally overcome my obstacle and its all thanks to your grand advice.


    But seriously though to everyone who actually offered some helpful advice in this thread thanks, I was mostly venting some frustrations with the game but I honestly really appreciate your tips and advice especially when compared to all the useless shite like this guys post.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    It's so easy to pip at red ranks:

    • Do 1 gen solo.
    • Do a totem.
    • Get a safe rescue.
    • Do 1 heal solo.
    • Get chased for 60 seconds. Stun the killer at least once.
    • Escape or survive for 9 minutes, whatever that takes.
    • Overperform in one of these areas to make up for another.

    I believe the best way to have a true ranking system is to pair people with similar winrates. ๐Ÿ˜‹

  • @FalseMod said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1248829#Comment_1248829

    Wow, thanks for this constructive criticism and advice, I'll defiantly start doing gens when not being chased, unhooking and healing people when they are injured or get hooked, and running the killer when getting chased. I never would have thought to try that without your sage advice oh great and wise one, now I will have the knowledge to finally overcome my obstacle and its all thanks to your grand advice.

    But seriously though to everyone who actually offered some helpful advice in this thread thanks, I was mostly venting some frustrations with the game but I honestly really appreciate your tips and advice especially when compared to all the useless shite like this guys post.

    I mean that's literally all you have to do to get a pip. If you are having trouble the obviously you are doing something wrong, because I could pip in my sleep at rank 1 doing exactly what I just listed off.

    @NMCKE said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244665#Comment_1244665

    I believe the best way to have a true ranking system is to pair people with similar winrates. ๐Ÿ˜‹

    The problem is what constitutes "win rate"? Because you can play amazing all game and still die for a dumb reason, or get screwed over by another survivor and die, or conversely you can do NOTHING and still escape through the hatch or gate once the killer closes the hatch. And for killers getting kills is easier depending on which killer you are playing. You could have a 90% "win rate" as Nurse but only a 50% as Bubba or Clown. Does that mean you have a 70% average win rate? Technically, but again you are playing as different killers. So if the game matches you based on 70% win rate and you play Nurse or Bubba you are playing outside your intended matchmaking zone.

    Truth is there will never be a great matchmaking system for DBD. It's just impossible to compare skill when both sides are inherently different on the most fundamental levels. The only complaint I honestly have is when the game puts me, a rank 1 survivor with 3k hours, against a rank 20 killer that just bought the game. THAT is ridiculous and shouldn't happen (nor should I be getting rank 18 survivors as a rank 1 killer). But if they are red ranks then they have to at least understand how to play the game enough to score emblem points, which means they are most likely going to be close enough to my skill that it's a fair game.