Any tips?

I am thinking in participate on the cosmetics arts competition, but I don't know where should I draw only have the idea. So:

1-where should I try to draw my cosmetic.

2-any tips in general to improve my drawing and painting because at present I call they Onion cuz it makes you cry when u look at it

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @USELESS said:

    I am thinking in participate on the cosmetics arts competition, but I don't know where should I draw only have the idea. So:

    1-where should I try to draw my cosmetic.

    2-any tips in general to improve my drawing and painting because at present I call they Onion cuz it makes you cry when u look at it

    I have no artistic ability, so I'm making my submission my manipulating an image of the Hag from the cosmetic shop in photoshop.

    Playing with filters and layers to try and convey the design concept and I'll clear up my abyssmal work through the text portion.

    So in my experience...

    1) Pick your character and think about their lore and core concept. The trapper is very metal as an example and the Hag is very earthy. You can start with the core concept and then build an idea from that. Look through the submissions to make sure you're not submitting something someone else has submitted already.

    2) Practice. Practice is the only thing that will make your artistic ability better. I can only copy images by looking at them, I can't create something new so practice won't help me :)

    If the quality of the artwork is part of the choosing process then none of us with pitiful artistic ability has a chance to win the contest...

    We'll know if this is the case when we see who the finalists are :)

    I really hope quality of art isn't a big factor and the focus is on the concept lol

    Good luck to us all lol

    Edit: I didn't really answer 1 very well. Use what you have. Some people have drawn their concepts out and taken photos of them.

  • In answer to the first question, I would say use whichever medium you're most comfortable with and/or that will best convey your idea.

    As for the second question, it really depends on what your idea is and who it's for, but I would suggest that you maybe grab a few screenshots of whatever character you're designing a cosmetic for and trace the outline of their model. At least that way, you'll be able to get the basic shape down, and it will be easier to convey your idea visually if you have a base to work from.

    Also, use reference images. Most artists do, if they're not really sure how something is supposed to look. For example, if your outfit involves a flowy skirt, search for "flowy skirt" on Google or Pinterest, find an image, or images, that looks like what you're imagining, and use that as a reference when you're drawing your own.

  • Have a clear idea about what you want in mind, then represent what it will be through the drawing. Keep it simple.

    If you can't do complicated structures and shadows, then go minimalist. Simple shapes and flat colors. Just keep it clean and concise. It's like making a fancy dinner but the taste is also in the representation.

    Too abstract? I wasn't trained in art but i tried. Being a lefty meant smudged everything. Sigh.