Idea for the Ranking System and some minor things
My first suggestion would be to make it wider. You climb too fast rn. But instead of making every rank take like 10 pips just give me 50 or 75 or even 100 ranks. This wuld mean that rank reset doesnt happen every month then. I am a fairly new player and I got to rank 4 as killer in like a month or roughly 100 hours. As survivor in 50 hours. Now I get matched with other red ranks wich all happen to have at least 10 times the amount of playtime. This is what I mean with "you climb too fast rn". To actually improve instead of getting run around by someone with considerably more playtime for the entire match, I have to actively derank. Because, again, the rank system isn't wide enough to seperate players at all. I could just dodge every lobby with someone who has so many hours until I get one with only 5 times the amount of playtime but in that hour and a half I could just go do something productive.
Another issue I have, wich is largely only an issue because I am new, is that you dont rank Killers seperately. If I buy a new killer now I will play my first times with him in red ranks. these people know more about the killer than I do. So again I have to deliberately derank. And I understand that someone who is a high rank with some killers will be a good loop stopper in general so my suggestion would not be that every killer ranks completely in isolation but rather that you have a killer rank and an overall rank to wich all killers contribute. You would have to "lock in" a killer before the queue starts, meaning you will not be able to change killers once you enter the queue/ find a match. This would not make it as painful as it is right now. This would also give the people who main a killer something.
This is another point. Playing a killer over and over and over again doesnt get you anything for that killer. Like at all. Its the same as high ranks. As many people already requested: give them something. For getting a killer to the individual highest rank maybe a special skin/ an achievement, for high ranks maybe a little charm for every season that displays the exact rank.
Comments
I think rank system (emblems and all that stuff) is oriented to classify players in groups depending on how many intended mechanics of the game they follow. For example camper killers are punished, or selfish survivors.
What you are suggesting is similar what they are implementing right now, it's called mmr and it's hidden.
The problem with the hours played is not a problem, it's intended. Not all the players learn at the same pace so it's common that you find people with more hours than you who have more/less hours than you. If the system would have into account the hours played, you would see a lot of smurf accounts as it happens in free games like League of legends or buy to play games like counter strike.
I know what you mean with "its intended" but the system is broken right now. I might get 4ks often when I get matched with players who got less than 400 hours. But considering I get my ass handed to me in every red rank game I attend I feel safe to say that the system is broken.
Without data all that kind of statements are in a few words "this is broken from my experience".
First of all I haven't played any game that has a decent matchmaking system, all of them have flaws because if you want faster qeues you need more players or more flexibility while pairing. The player base of this game is enough to have a decent matchmaking, which more or less is what we have. You face from time to time a lot of hours players, but it's not that common.
The reason why people complain a lot about the system is because they can see some numbers and they consider it's not expected to be a rank 1 with a rank 10 for example. But as rank is not related to skill level, it could be possible. I have been paired while in rank 4 with a killer with 3k hours that was at rank 15 because he had taken a break from the game.
I have had pretty close games with more frequency than in other videogames so i think the system works pretty well, I have no proof tho.
I agree that killers should have separated mmr for each character, but i feel that maybe it's already implemented because i got matched a couple games with a lot of bad players with my bad killers.
I agree that I speak mostly from my experience. But I still think it should be given some thought that I as someone who started playing a month ago is already getting matched with people who have been playing well over a year in 90% of the games. I can tell you that I am not some kind of prodigy because I still suck. The mmr for any killer cannot be implemented right now in any way because you can always change your killer in the lobby. I think you just had some lucky games.
Tthe fact that skill and rank do not correlate is my main issue. What do you have rank for if it does not mean anything at all. About your statement: "You face from time to time a lot of hours players, but it's not that common." Maybe I just had some bad luck but I have more often than not 3 people in a lobby with more than 800 hours. It is very rare for me to have it the other way around except when I actively derank to green ranks, wich again invalidates the whole point of a rank system.
I think the most common played hours is around 400 hours. Also you should have in mind that there are only a few mechanics to master and the other things you need are in form of knowledge about the game (what each perk does, how certain interaction works, etc.). A lot of my games that end in a win is usually because i know something that the other player doesn't, but it's not because I am better at the mechanics. Knowing how to run tiles and structures as both killer and surv help a lot, also identifying specific builds can nullify them.
The thing i mention about killer specific mmr is because I don't usually change my killer pick when I enter qeue, so maybe they are testing it to recollect data. Is not a bad idea to use the picked killer before the qeue started to find match because it's probably the killer you are going to use. I don't know for sure if they are doing this obviously but it could be.