When you get posting blocked for reporting spam

Ok seriously what is up with being spam blocked like this when I report someone for spam and then try and post something I get spam blocked for 180 seconds? All because I posted 2 times within 60 seconds with 1 of those being a spam report and the spam poster is at it again.

@Peanits @MandyTalk @not_Queen

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • Snitches get stitches i guess.
  • @powerbats said:
    Ok seriously what is up with being spam blocked like this when I report someone for spam and then try and post something I get spam blocked for 180 seconds? All because I posted 2 times within 60 seconds with 1 of those being a spam report and the spam poster is at it again.

    @Peanits @MandyTalk @not_Queen

    did you quote someone too fast in a row or something? i had that issue today in some posts too and i did not report anyone.

  • Heyo.

    So recently there were some changes that tightened up the spam filter in an effort to stop bots. Results are mixed. There's a little less, but they still get through. This is where the funky stuff comes in: When you report a post, it shows up as an actual thread in a secret place you guys can't access (much like Steam forums, for anyone who's ever moderated one of those). So what I think is happening here is that you report a post, it creates a "thread" by you, and that counts towards the spam filter.

    I'm going to see if we can loosen it back up. Ideally you shouldn't ever see that unless you are actually spamming, and it might be a little too strict right now.

  • @Peanits said:
    Heyo.

    So recently there were some changes that tightened up the spam filter in an effort to stop bots. Results are mixed. There's a little less, but they still get through. This is where the funky stuff comes in: When you report a post, it shows up as an actual thread in a secret place you guys can't access (much like Steam forums, for anyone who's ever moderated one of those). So what I think is happening here is that you report a post, it creates a "thread" by you, and that counts towards the spam filter.

    I'm going to see if we can loosen it back up. Ideally you shouldn't ever see that unless you are actually spamming, and it might be a little too strict right now.

    and i found a bug where someone tries to quote and it fails to do so and when i click on Post comment it blocks me for spam as well please.

  • @pauloandrade22 said:

    @Peanits said:
    Heyo.

    So recently there were some changes that tightened up the spam filter in an effort to stop bots. Results are mixed. There's a little less, but they still get through. This is where the funky stuff comes in: When you report a post, it shows up as an actual thread in a secret place you guys can't access (much like Steam forums, for anyone who's ever moderated one of those). So what I think is happening here is that you report a post, it creates a "thread" by you, and that counts towards the spam filter.

    I'm going to see if we can loosen it back up. Ideally you shouldn't ever see that unless you are actually spamming, and it might be a little too strict right now.

    and i found a bug where someone tries to quote and it fails to do so and when i click on Post comment it blocks me for spam as well please.

    Is this something that happens frequently?

    I've got a theory for what's happening here too. The "bot" we use flag what it thinks is spam posts. It's not always right, but it does catch a significant amount of spam. Often times it'll flag excessively long posts as spam and send that post to a queue for mods to review. What might be happening here is that when you post a reply with a bunch of nested quotes, the bot goes "Nope, that's spam, look how long that is." because it's actually posting each quote in that chain. So in reality, the post did go through, it was just sent to that spam queue until a mod comes by and goes, "This is a legitimate post." That would explain why it doesn't go through the first time and then blocks you the next.

  • @Peanits Is there a way for it not to count a thread that you flag for reporting as a thread by the reporting person? Better yet have an actual spam option in the report dropdown for usage. You can also just make a few us mods of course. :p

  • @powerbats said:
    Ok seriously what is up with being spam blocked like this when I report someone for spam and then try and post something I get spam blocked for 180 seconds? All because I posted 2 times within 60 seconds with 1 of those being a spam report and the spam poster is at it again.

    @Peanits @MandyTalk @not_Queen

    Yes its horrible.
    Another example for a lazy implementation, but honestly, look at the game itself and tell me that you are surprised :wink:

  • powerbats said:

    @Peanits Is there a way for it not to count a thread that you flag for reporting as a thread by the reporting person? Better yet have an actual spam option in the report dropdown for usage. You can also just make a few us mods of course. :p

    Not that I'm aware of. The settings have been changed, please let me know if you're still getting blocked when you shouldn't be.
  • @Peanits said:
    powerbats said:

    @Peanits Is there a way for it not to count a thread that you flag for reporting as a thread by the reporting person? Better yet have an actual spam option in the report dropdown for usage. You can also just make a few us mods of course. :p

    Not that I'm aware of. The settings have been changed, please let me know if you're still getting blocked when you shouldn't be.

    What about those spam bots. Should we continue to report them, or just ignore them?

  • @Tsulan said:

    @Peanits said:
    powerbats said:

    @Peanits Is there a way for it not to count a thread that you flag for reporting as a thread by the reporting person? Better yet have an actual spam option in the report dropdown for usage. You can also just make a few us mods of course. :p

    Not that I'm aware of. The settings have been changed, please let me know if you're still getting blocked when you shouldn't be.

    What about those spam bots. Should we continue to report them, or just ignore them?

    You can still report them. With these new settings you shouldn't be affected by the filter even if you are reporting stuff.

  • @Peanits said:

    @Tsulan said:

    @Peanits said:
    powerbats said:

    @Peanits Is there a way for it not to count a thread that you flag for reporting as a thread by the reporting person? Better yet have an actual spam option in the report dropdown for usage. You can also just make a few us mods of course. :p

    Not that I'm aware of. The settings have been changed, please let me know if you're still getting blocked when you shouldn't be.

    What about those spam bots. Should we continue to report them, or just ignore them?

    You can still report them. With these new settings you shouldn't be affected by the filter even if you are reporting stuff.

    NICE good job mods you are amazing.

  • It's their failed attempt at blocking the Chinese spammers. Now they're either waiting or using multiple accounts.

  • It's their failed attempt at blocking the Chinese spammers. Now they're either waiting or using multiple accounts.

  • Hey man, I got 300sec for reporting 1 of the spambots in 60 seconds. 
    Pretty good antispam system so far :lol: