New Status Effect Suggestion: Fear
This idea probably needs some tweaks, but this just came to me:
For the first minute of the game, and 60 seconds after being unhooked, survivors receive the status effect: "Fear". Survivors under the fear status effect have a haste effect (this helps prevent tunneling), but also receive a generator repair and totem cleansing reduction of 50% (this helps reduce gen rush and makes it so survivors with DS don't get almost an entire generator done by themselves). Not sure if the totem cleansing reduction is necessary, but I could see survivors cleansing totems for the first minute instead of doing gens, making Hex Perks a little weaker. Another problem I see is the first chase being much harder until Survivors lose the haste effect. I suppose this could be countered with a status effect for killers at the start of the game where their speed is ALSO increased for the first minute. (But not after hooking someone, unless they are using Devour Hope and have the right number of tokens). I think such a status effect could benefit both sides. But it definitely needs some tweaks.
Comments
The Fear status effect already exists in the game, though not in a sense you've proposed. As a Killer main, I get that status effect every time I'm about to press "Find Match" button.