To Survivors AND Killers
First time poster and long time lurker here! PS4 player. Rank 2 Survivor. Rank 16 Killer (LOL).
Toxicity is a topic of countless threads. What I want to send is a message to Killers and Survivors alike, posing a question. Do you love this game?
If so - why are you discouraging people from playing with toxicity? I feel like people forget that the other players are people (and sometimes new players) and that this is a game that needs players to survive. Toxicity chases people, good and bad, new and old, away from games. This goes to both sides and is sort of just a PSA that will hopefully make some people think. Be good to each other, players, and let's keep this game that we all love alive! <3
For those of you curious as to why I felt inspired to actually post... The reason I was inspired to actually make this was two very recent games.
The first was me playing Survivor. A camp-heavy, NOED Ghostface had killed all 3 other survivors with 1 gen left to go. I ran to a door knowing I would be downed, and sure enough was. Rather than hook me he goes to the hatch, kicks it closed, and spends the ENTIRETY of endgame breakdown tea bagging me. As someone who will never, ever rage quit I sat there for that entire time watching this wondering why this guy, who relies on camping to win, thought this would ever make anyone want to play this game again.
The second was me playing as Killer for the sake of Rift points. As a survivor main I have only ever seen the toxicity of Killers (and boy, oh boy is it A LOT). I was horrified to come to the other side and see that after literally every game I received messages from people talking trash only to end it with "and my messages are friend only, don't bother replying f@g lolololol". Seriously? Gross, guys. That behavior genuinely did make me never want to play Killer again.
Maybe people don't realize this behavior discourages new people from learning the game, from 'getting gud' as so many people demand of anyone who complains about toxicity. I dunno. But hopefully this helps some people think about things and consider being a bit more sportsmanlike and encouraging people to keep playing! ^_^
Comments
It's been that way for years, honestly as a PS4 player myself, it's only slowed down. Maybe I made a name for myself of not being respond-able because I will turn that conversation weird real quick, but the occasional baby surv that messages with friends only, I just ignore because there's no point and they wasted life points typing out a message I'll never bother with. I guess I could switch to friends only too, but that would be boring and sometimes a little salt sweetens my night
That is good that you can have a positive attitude about it and enjoy some hate comments! Hopefully that keeps you going and playing the game!
Trust me, I am under no illusion that my message will be ground breaking here or reach a widespread group of people - changing the tide of toxicity that has plagued the game for years. Lol! ^_^ I have just seen a lot more of it lately and thought I'd at least try to get even just a few people thinking about their tea bagging or their camping, their hook hitting or their after game messages. <3
I have long been baffled by that very question. There is no more decency, no more sportsmanship, nor is there any interest in growing the game by treating player, especially new ones, with any level of dignity. I'm not talking about being sugar sweet and pampering, I'm just talking about treating the person as if they were in the same room and could pop you in the mouth if you got overly belligerent.
The only reason this game goes on is there is no real competition for it.
Here's to hoping that people talking about it will stop and think about whether or not they contribute to people leaving the game.
It is a very basic mindset to have. Be kind and considerate! If you're a Survivor and the game was extremely 'ez' then take the bloodpoints and walk out the door. That killer was either A) New to the game or that Killer and trying to learn how to play - B) Trying to farm a very specific Rift challenge and not actually trying - C) Just having an off day. That happens to the best of us.
And for the Killer it goes the same way. Take your hook or your win and don't camp, hook slash, tea bag, etc. Oh, and this is a big one! PLEASE do not tunnel! So many times a survivor takes me off the hook as I'm just sitting there cringing. Please don't punish the Survivor who had no choice in when they are getting unhooked.
As a Survivor main - the worst is when a Killer has their t3 purple meta perks and still as the audacity to be toxic.
As someone who just played Killer today and got some vile messages - Deathslinger is looking tasty. Hook reeling a tea bagger would be the ultimate therapy. <3 LOL
Well it's a noble effort on your part for sure! I hope that people like you don't stop playing because of it, we need more positive community members and players around here.. then again, I think based on data, the community is doing just as well, if not better than it had in the past, actually hitting a peak high recently. Regardless, yes, this game can be quite toxic
Hell, I'm under no illusion that I may have been toxic a few times in the past (not in messaging others per say, but for instance, one of my first Myers games ever I got messaged to farm, but I brought Ebony tombstone in, so you know I've got to just ruin eveything to use it ๐) but yea, I'm probably not going anywhere soon tbh, now that I'm having too much fun with death slinger. Hope you decide stick around too!
I'm honestly on my last leg in this game. I find little enjoyment in either role. The player base is filled with the type of people who need a serious azz whooping from their parents and the developers are clueless on how to fix it all.
:( Most everyone I knew who played quit due to the community a long time ago. Guess my turn will be coming soon.
I am so sorry to hear that. Which system do you play on?
If you ever want to team up with a non-toxic, laid back Survivor I'd gladly play with you. I hope you do not let other people's rude behavior run you off of the game - I know it is hard, I've been there many times. But try to hang in there and stick with it if you love the game.
Players don't have to play by the survivors rule book for killers. Survivors don't have a rule book of how they should play.
Game mechanics in general are not toxic. It's the person that interprets them as being toxic.
Cursing/threatening people is toxic.
Correct, that is why I'm not talking about gen rushing, palette looping, slugging, specific perks, etc.
My message was about very specific actions like tea bagging, hook hitting, and after game messages. Things that killers and players both do with the intent of trolling/griefing/etc. My original message, and all following messages, have merely been about people showing the most basic levels of sportsmanship and remembering that this is a game that requires both Killers and Survivors.
Let's all be kind to one another and keep people playing the game. <3