Probably a combination of both. The matchmaking is known to be bugged right now, but the devs don't seem to be worrying too much about fixing it since they're about to render it obsolete with a brand new system anyway.
Probably a combination of both. The matchmaking is known to be bugged right now, but the devs don't seem to be worrying too much about fixing it since they're about to render it obsolete with a brand new system anyway.
It is not bugged and is as intended. It has not changed for three years. The messed up matchmaking is nothing new. For three years we have read the once a week ######### is up with mm threads.
It is not bugged and is as intended. It has not changed for three years. The messed up matchmaking is nothing new. For three years we have read the once a week ######### is up with mm threads.
The devs said on stream that it was bugged and not working as intended, so forgive me if I take their word over yours.
They have said in the past that things wre bugged only to show up later as intended and was included in the game.
Que's have not changed. Scratch that. They MM has gotten worse if anything. If was bad before but now its just really bad. Pitting brand new killers to the game against the best the game has to offer has always been the case. This is the experience for most players that pick up the game and play either side.
They have said in the past that things wre bugged only to show up later as intended and was included in the game.
Que's have not changed. Scratch that. They MM has gotten worse if anything. If was bad before but now its just really bad. Pitting brand new killers to the game against the best the game has to offer has always been the case. This is the experience for most players that pick up the game and play either side.
Over the past six months, we have allocated strike teams with the mission of improving the overall health of the game. As announced last December, we have developers working on a new matchmaking algorithm which we are actively testing and are almost ready to deploy. We are also targeting to migrate the game to dedicated servers by the end of summer 2019.
This blog post is meant to update you on the efforts put on optimization, which aim to enhance the overall game’s performance.
When we first released Dead by Daylight back in 2016, we targeted 30 FPS on our minimum spec. Up until recently, we optimized the game in bursts; for the console launch and before releasing a new Killer. We are now ready to set a new performance target: Dead by daylight will run at 60 FPS on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and minimum spec PCs.
Reaching 60 FPS on Dead by Daylight is not an easy task. It is a multifaceted iterative process that started six months ago and will be ongoing for months. Our strike team of programmers dedicated to optimizing the game has their hands deep into the game code. To summarize, optimization improves the frame rate by using less CPU and GPU cycles to update and render the world faster without any apparent loss of quality.
See below for a high-level view of our optimization roadmap.
STEP 1: UPDATE TO UNREAL ENGINE 4.20
Target: Chapter 10 and incremental changes with every engine update (update to 4.21 is planned for chapter 11)
The engine update was a necessity to move forward with the optimization process.
All the Unreal engine features below gives us additional tools and means to enhance the performance of the game: the new Apex integration (dynamic mesh simulation), RHI/Render thread split, Epic’s mesh reduction tool & improved animation thread tooling are just a few examples.
STEP 2: CPU, GPU AND CONTEXTUAL OPTIMIZATIONS
Target: Chapter 11 and ongoing
This is the core of the work to improve the performance and the game’s frame rate.
There are many opportunities for optimization, but here are the three main pillars overarching our efforts:
CPU optimizations: improving the game’s baseline systems
This is where the game world is simulated (interactions, character navigation, perks and powers). We will be converting our slowest gameplay blueprints to C++ which should, in specific cases, run ten to two hundred times faster. We are also moving from a tick-based system to an event-based-system. A tick-based system is much more demanding, as it constantly pokes the CPU to know when to trigger an action, while an event-based system can enable an event only when necessary and therefore reduce the stress on the CPU.
GPU Optimizations: Overall Graphic Optimizations
The GPU is where the game world is rendered into an image which is then drawn on the screen. The optimization actions listed below mainly affect the game’s visual representation. The objective is to render the world faster without sacrificing quality. We will be updating our anti-aliasing system to TXAA and moving the SSAO to a compute shader, simplify our shadow pass, optimize character outlines, improve LODs, slim render passes, bake more lights, use imposter rendering for specific objects (trees, grass) and more.
Contextual Optimizations: Performance Spikes for Specific Actions
We are working on optimizations that pay at any given time when you play (as mentioned above under GPU/CPU) but we also know there are specific actions and/or Killers that will need extra optimization. These are problematic cases where we see major hitches in performance. Here are a few examples: multiple characters moving in close quarters, specific Killer slow down, perks combination, etc.
STEP 3: UPDATING OUR GUIDELINES AND PROCESSES
Target: Chapter 12 and ongoing
While we optimize the existing gameplay and graphic systems, we develop better tools and methods to implement new features. When we have a new process figured out, it is documented and shared with our development team who can then apply these learnings for the creation of new content.
Our objective is to offer a better performance on all platforms, making the game look smoother and the controls more reactive. Still, doing such majors changes all at once (game engine update and rewriting game code) is bound to briefly disrupt things and require some adaptation time. We hope you understand that this is a transition period and an investment to improve the game.
Don’t hesitate to share your feedback on our forums or social media if you encounter an issue. Our objective is to keep you updated on our progress in the coming months. The upcoming Dead by Daylight anniversary will be a great timing to give you additional visibility on our progress.
See you in the fog,
The Dead by Daylight team
In this status update from March 2019 they were about to roll out a new matchmaking algorithm which was supposed to fix the problem which has been in the game for years, but is becoming more prominent now due to a lower number of killer players than ever before, making the differences and frequency of seeing this a much more common occurrence.
I wouldn’t hold your breath this gets any better any time soon like some of us have been doing for years.
I have nothing against anyone at bhvr but I also don't just take anyones word on a subject. Yes, they know more than I do i'm sure. But I am rank 1 killer. When I play killer I get all red rank survivors and find games instantly. Seems to be working well. I am rank 1 survivor. When I play survivor I get killers anywhere from rank 1 to rank 15 after a 10 minute wait.
So I can either believe that match making is just messed up currently or I can draw my own conclusion that pipping as survivor is wayyyy too easy and there are more red rank survivors and not enough killers to fill all the matches so they end up putting any killer in against red ranks just so they get a match.
It seems much more likely to me that my conclusion is correct.
They have said in the past that things wre bugged only to show up later as intended and was included in the game.
Que's have not changed. Scratch that. They MM has gotten worse if anything. If was bad before but now its just really bad. Pitting brand new killers to the game against the best the game has to offer has always been the case. This is the experience for most players that pick up the game and play either side.
Pitting grey ranks against anyone has always been intended, yes, but OP is not in grey ranks, so that's irrelevant. As for the rest, you're insisting that the devs are simply lying about the matchmaking being bugged based on the fact that they haven't changed it and that bugs have become features in the past. That's not a valid argument, it's a guess. If you're going to speculate about their intentions, at least admit that that's all it is.
Killer main here, I've stopped playing the game altogether because it's not a survivor horror game, it's a swf try-hard-fest with a jungle gym membership.
It's hard to get immersed in hunting people when they give no ***ks that you're there, get joy from your frustration, and sometimes actively harass you when they have so many second-chance perks. And if you do manage to get 3-4k you get to deal with toxicity after the match is over. No thanks.
Deranking system is broken since they changed it a few months ago. They need to rework it and make people derank two colors back, not just one. Too many people get to red ranks when they shouldn't because they don't derank far back enough, so now low ranked killers get high ranked survivors, because there's no one within their player rank to play against, and they prioritize faster queue times over evenly ranked matches (which makes sense, I rather play against a group of high ranked survivors than waiting 10 minutes to get a group at my rank)
Pitting grey ranks against anyone has always been intended, yes, but OP is not in grey ranks, so that's irrelevant. As for the rest, you're insisting that the devs are simply lying about the matchmaking being bugged based on the fact that they haven't changed it and that bugs have become features in the past. That's not a valid argument, it's a guess. If you're going to speculate about their intentions, at least admit that that's all it is.
Where do i insist that the dev's are lying? Please tell me.
I simply mentioned that in the past thigns were pointed out and the response given was that these issues were bugs. Only to turn out to be included into the game later on as intended behavior.
Here is something funny. The person in charge of balance did not even know their own perks. The person making the game did not know their own game. I bet they are going to eat that just like cote is going to eat i think we did a pretty good job so far.
Deranking system is broken since they changed it a few months ago. They need to rework it and make people derank two colors back, not just one. Too many people get to red ranks when they shouldn't because they don't derank far back enough, so now low ranked killers get high ranked survivors, because there's no one within their player rank to play against, and they prioritize faster queue times over evenly ranked matches (which makes sense, I rather play against a group of high ranked survivors than waiting 10 minutes to get a group at my rank)
This just puts more survs into red ranks as well. Since it takes more killer games with free points for them to derank. Have a bad game? No problem. Here you go. A free game with a deranking killer. We will give you back that pip you just lost.
This just puts more survs into red ranks as well. Since it takes more killer games with free points for them to derank. Have a bad game? No problem. Here you go. A free game with a deranking killer. We will give you back that pip you just lost.
Yeah really. I'm a better killer than I am a survivor, and yet I'm rank 3-5 survivor and rank 8-10 killer, because pipping is so easy on survivor and you don't need to do that well to pip, you just need to make sure you don't die too fast.
Can't wait for the "upcoming" matchmaking/ranking changes
Where do i insist that the dev's are lying? Please tell me.
I simply mentioned that in the past thigns were pointed out and the response given was that these issues were bugs. Only to turn out to be included into the game later on as intended behavior.
Here is something funny. The person in charge of balance did not even know their own perks. The person making the game did not know their own game. I bet they are going to eat that just like cote is going to eat i think we did a pretty good job so far.
You responded to my intial comment, directly contradicting me by saying that matchmaking is working as intended and is not bugged. When I explained that the devs had said the opposite, you came back with what I assumed was intended as a counter to that. If you were actually agreeing with me, then I apologise, but you seemed to be trying to argue that matchmaking was not, in fact, bugged, which is in direct contradiction to what the devs have said.
If that is the case and I didn't misread your statements, there are three possible conclusions as to what your point could have been:
You believe the devs were lying - that is, saying something that isn't true
You believe the devs were saying something untrue, but you wouldn't necessarily call that lying, at which point we're just arguing over semantics
You didn't have a point, and were just making random statements for no particular reason
I assumed you had a point because you bothered to comment in the first place, and based on the statements you were making, it seemed clear that the point you were getting at was that what the devs said was untrue. Whether you want to call that lying or not is up to you, but that's how I came to that conclusion. I hope that clears it up.
As for "the person in charge of balance not knowing their own perks", he misremembered a perk's updated function while live on camera in front of thousands of people. People make mistakes when they're nervous. I dare you to tell me that you have never made a single error in whatever your area of expertise is - does that mean you suddenly know nothing about it?
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
Probably a combination of both. The matchmaking is known to be bugged right now, but the devs don't seem to be worrying too much about fixing it since they're about to render it obsolete with a brand new system anyway.
It is not bugged and is as intended. It has not changed for three years. The messed up matchmaking is nothing new. For three years we have read the once a week ######### is up with mm threads.
^...This weeks
It's a combination. Many killers switched to survivor like myself after the Ruin Change.
The devs said on stream that it was bugged and not working as intended, so forgive me if I take their word over yours.
They have said in the past that things wre bugged only to show up later as intended and was included in the game.
Que's have not changed. Scratch that. They MM has gotten worse if anything. If was bad before but now its just really bad. Pitting brand new killers to the game against the best the game has to offer has always been the case. This is the experience for most players that pick up the game and play either side.
It's like MS...bugs become features.
In this status update from March 2019 they were about to roll out a new matchmaking algorithm which was supposed to fix the problem which has been in the game for years, but is becoming more prominent now due to a lower number of killer players than ever before, making the differences and frequency of seeing this a much more common occurrence.
I wouldn’t hold your breath this gets any better any time soon like some of us have been doing for years.
Just one? You should count yourself lucky.
I have nothing against anyone at bhvr but I also don't just take anyones word on a subject. Yes, they know more than I do i'm sure. But I am rank 1 killer. When I play killer I get all red rank survivors and find games instantly. Seems to be working well. I am rank 1 survivor. When I play survivor I get killers anywhere from rank 1 to rank 15 after a 10 minute wait.
So I can either believe that match making is just messed up currently or I can draw my own conclusion that pipping as survivor is wayyyy too easy and there are more red rank survivors and not enough killers to fill all the matches so they end up putting any killer in against red ranks just so they get a match.
It seems much more likely to me that my conclusion is correct.
I'm a rank 3 killer and I've been going against rank 16 survivors. feels bad
Pitting grey ranks against anyone has always been intended, yes, but OP is not in grey ranks, so that's irrelevant. As for the rest, you're insisting that the devs are simply lying about the matchmaking being bugged based on the fact that they haven't changed it and that bugs have become features in the past. That's not a valid argument, it's a guess. If you're going to speculate about their intentions, at least admit that that's all it is.
Killer main here, I've stopped playing the game altogether because it's not a survivor horror game, it's a swf try-hard-fest with a jungle gym membership.
It's hard to get immersed in hunting people when they give no ***ks that you're there, get joy from your frustration, and sometimes actively harass you when they have so many second-chance perks. And if you do manage to get 3-4k you get to deal with toxicity after the match is over. No thanks.
Deranking system is broken since they changed it a few months ago. They need to rework it and make people derank two colors back, not just one. Too many people get to red ranks when they shouldn't because they don't derank far back enough, so now low ranked killers get high ranked survivors, because there's no one within their player rank to play against, and they prioritize faster queue times over evenly ranked matches (which makes sense, I rather play against a group of high ranked survivors than waiting 10 minutes to get a group at my rank)
Where do i insist that the dev's are lying? Please tell me.
I simply mentioned that in the past thigns were pointed out and the response given was that these issues were bugs. Only to turn out to be included into the game later on as intended behavior.
Here is something funny. The person in charge of balance did not even know their own perks. The person making the game did not know their own game. I bet they are going to eat that just like cote is going to eat i think we did a pretty good job so far.
This just puts more survs into red ranks as well. Since it takes more killer games with free points for them to derank. Have a bad game? No problem. Here you go. A free game with a deranking killer. We will give you back that pip you just lost.
Yeah really. I'm a better killer than I am a survivor, and yet I'm rank 3-5 survivor and rank 8-10 killer, because pipping is so easy on survivor and you don't need to do that well to pip, you just need to make sure you don't die too fast.
Can't wait for the "upcoming" matchmaking/ranking changes
You responded to my intial comment, directly contradicting me by saying that matchmaking is working as intended and is not bugged. When I explained that the devs had said the opposite, you came back with what I assumed was intended as a counter to that. If you were actually agreeing with me, then I apologise, but you seemed to be trying to argue that matchmaking was not, in fact, bugged, which is in direct contradiction to what the devs have said.
If that is the case and I didn't misread your statements, there are three possible conclusions as to what your point could have been:
I assumed you had a point because you bothered to comment in the first place, and based on the statements you were making, it seemed clear that the point you were getting at was that what the devs said was untrue. Whether you want to call that lying or not is up to you, but that's how I came to that conclusion. I hope that clears it up.
As for "the person in charge of balance not knowing their own perks", he misremembered a perk's updated function while live on camera in front of thousands of people. People make mistakes when they're nervous. I dare you to tell me that you have never made a single error in whatever your area of expertise is - does that mean you suddenly know nothing about it?