Is the matchmaking still bad on console?

The last time I played was about 2 weeks ago on PS4 and the matchmaking was terrible. Coming back to the game, I was put up against red rank survivors as someone who was yellow (borderline green) rank. Needless to say, I got destroyed because I was so rusty. Is this still a problem?

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • Matchmaking is still terrible on all platforms. My guess would be that at this stage, the devs are choosing to focus on perfecting the new system rather than fixing the old one, since anything they do to the current system will become obsolete once the new one is implemented anyway.

  • @Fibijean said:

    Matchmaking is still terrible on all platforms. My guess would be that at this stage, the devs are choosing to focus on perfecting the new system rather than fixing the old one, since anything they do to the current system will become obsolete once the new one is implemented anyway.

    That's reasonable. Kinda disappointing because I wanted to get online to grind BP but I'm noy gonna subject myself to that torture

  • Yep. After managing to finally get back into red ranks, I thought I would escape all the low rank potatoes. Nope.

    Matchmaking decided that placing me with a purple ranks who play swf with their green and yellow rank friends would be balanced. The killers are usually rank 4-6. You could probably guess how the games turn out 9/10 times. The Tragedy of a red rank solo player on Xbox. At least I sometimes get lucky enough to get paired with a full red rank solo team, and I can tell the great difference in the quality of the matches. Even if we get destroyed, we all get around 15k points and it was a gg. Good red rank killer who knows what they're doing and doesn't tunnel (unless it's obviously necessary) or camp unless it's endgame. As a balanced counter, I get teammates who know when to push gens out and when to save. They also know how to last at least 30 seconds in a chase without having to use every single pallet in their LOS. Unfortunately these are rare matches. Being paired with 3 man swf as the rando is the worst. The 3 men swf are always the ones that complain about how "the randos are potatoes they ruin the game this is why I do swf hurr durr". Sure thing bud, the rando is definitely the idiot when he's the only one who can loop and do gens.

  • @Crazewtboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1113229#Comment_1113229

    That's reasonable. Kinda disappointing because I wanted to get online to grind BP but I'm noy gonna subject myself to that torture

    It depends how you look at it, yes the match-making for all ranks is out of wack at the moment, but it's still playable if you look deeper into it. If you're a lower ranked Survivor, than it's a hit or miss if you'll get a Red/Purple Ranked Killer, but sometimes it does work as intended and gives you the proper ranked Killer to play with.

    To say this always happens is an exaggeration, of course you'll be paired with the right ranks for most-ish of the time, but of course the system will sometimes pair you with higher tiered Killers as well from time to time, so the issue is still there.

    The same applies for Killer, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but it's not unplayable as some players make it out to be. Eventually the system will be reworked though, so it's not going to be like this forever. But for lower ranked Survivors/Killers, I can see why it's a struggle sometimes when you're paired with Red Rank Killers/Survivors that're far above your natural skill-set.

  • @FireHazard said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1113480#Comment_1113480

    It depends how you look at it, yes the match-making for all ranks is out of wack at the moment, but it's still playable if you look deeper into it. If you're a lower ranked Survivor, than it's a hit or miss if you'll get a Red/Purple Ranked Killer, but sometimes it does work as intended and gives you the proper ranked Killer to play with.

    To say this always happens is an exaggeration, of course you'll be paired with the right ranks for most-ish of the time, but of course the system will sometimes pair you with higher tiered Killers as well from time to time, so the issue is still there.

    The same applies for Killer, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but it's not unplayable as some players make it out to be. Eventually the system will be reworked though, so it's not going to be like this forever. But for lower ranked Survivors/Killers, I can see why it's a struggle sometimes when you're paired with Red Rank Killers/Survivors that're far above your natural skill-set.

    I beg to differ. When I last played two weeks ago I played a total of 6 killer matches at the borderline green rank threshold. 5 of those 6 games I was paired up with rank one survivors who literally escaped in 3:30. So yes, it most definitely is screwed up and yes it is unplayable like some make it out to be.

  • Yes, it is. It takes me 5-8 minutes to find a match as survivor but as killer its instant

  • @Crazewtboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1114032#Comment_1114032

    I beg to differ. When I last played two weeks ago I played a total of 6 killer matches at the borderline green rank threshold. 5 of those 6 games I was paired up with rank one survivors who literally escaped in 3:30. So yes, it most definitely is screwed up and yes it is unplayable like some make it out to be.

    It's different for everyone, that i'll admit, but no it's not unplayable because of this set-back.

    The match-making is different for every player, and if you experience it more often THAN I can understand how you feel, but if you only experience it sometimes like some players, than it's still playable.

    I also suffer from this, but it's the opposite for me since I naturally play with Red Rank Survivors and vice versa, so facing lower ranked Survivors and/or Killers is odd from time to time. As someone who faces the opposite though, I can see why it would be frustrating to face a Red Rank Killer when your skill-set is more around Green (not an insult), so if you experience the issue more often than it makes sense why you're not happy about it. But for someone like me for example, I sometimes face it and sometimes don't.

    But besides that...

    All in all, debating it doesn't really matter, what does matter is that the issue exists and that BHVR is taking the necessary measures to improve the match-making overall.

    I'm sorry you and other players have been experiencing a unfair pairing in the match-making at this time, but it will improve!

  • @FireHazard said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1114194#Comment_1114194

    It's different for everyone, that i'll admit, but no it's not unplayable because of this set-back.

    The match-making is different for every player, and if you experience it more often THAN I can understand how you feel, but if you only experience it sometimes like some players, than it's still playable.

    I also suffer from this, but it's the opposite for me since I naturally play with Red Rank Survivors and vice versa, so facing lower ranked Survivors and/or Killers is odd from time to time. As someone who faces the opposite though, I can see why it would be frustrating to face a Red Rank Killer when your skill-set is more around Green (not an insult), so if you experience the issue more often than it makes sense why you're not happy about it. But for someone like me for example, I sometimes face it and sometimes don't.

    But besides that...

    All in all, debating it doesn't really matter, what does matter is that the issue exists and that BHVR is taking the necessary measures to improve the match-making overall.

    I'm sorry you and other players have been experiencing a unfair pairing in the match-making at this time, but it will improve!

    I certainly hope so. Also, no offense taken. I'm well aware that I suck at the game right now. That's what I get for taking a break.

  • Does a frog bump his ass everytime it hops?

  • @Crazewtboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1114321#Comment_1114321

    I certainly hope so. Also, no offense taken. I'm well aware that I suck at the game right now. That's what I get for taking a break.

    Well i'm sure it'll get better, and that's good you took no offense.

  • @Crazewtboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1113229#Comment_1113229

    That's reasonable. Kinda disappointing because I wanted to get online to grind BP but I'm noy gonna subject myself to that torture

    Fair enough. We all share your pain. Hopefully the new system will come in sooner rather than later.

  • @Fibijean said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1113480#Comment_1113480

    Fair enough. We all share your pain. Hopefully the new system will come in sooner rather than later.

    Agreed

  • @RobMeister88 said:

    Yep. After managing to finally get back into red ranks, I thought I would escape all the low rank potatoes. Nope.

    Matchmaking decided that placing me with a purple ranks who play swf with their green and yellow rank friends would be balanced. The killers are usually rank 4-6. You could probably guess how the games turn out 9/10 times. The Tragedy of a red rank solo player on Xbox. At least I sometimes get lucky enough to get paired with a full red rank solo team, and I can tell the great difference in the quality of the matches. Even if we get destroyed, we all get around 15k points and it was a gg. Good red rank killer who knows what they're doing and doesn't tunnel (unless it's obviously necessary) or camp unless it's endgame. As a balanced counter, I get teammates who know when to push gens out and when to save. They also know how to last at least 30 seconds in a chase without having to use every single pallet in their LOS. Unfortunately these are rare matches. Being paired with 3 man swf as the rando is the worst. The 3 men swf are always the ones that complain about how "the randos are potatoes they ruin the game this is why I do swf hurr durr". Sure thing bud, the rando is definitely the idiot when he's the only one who can loop and do gens.

    I'm late to this, but i'm sorry to hear that your match-making isn't the greatest at this time.

    As said before, the Rank Rework should fix all these issues once it's fully implemented, but for the time being I can understand how frustrating it is to face a Red Rank Killer with teammates that're not fully equipped to face a Killer of that skill-set. Usually when the match-making acts this way, it'll just pair you with whoever it can find or has been waiting in queue, which is why you commonly find Yellow and Greens paired with Reds and Purples, the same goes for Killers, they wait awhile in the queue and as a result the queue just picks anything that's available.

    Understandable, this is be disheartening for lower-ranked Survivors/Killers that're trying to grind BPs and/or rank up, so I can see why this issue is a looming one for some players. The opposite can happen for Top-Tier Killers/Survivors as well, they get paired with... less skilled teammates... and/or paired with a Killer that isn't as invested in the meta, so it's hard to really enjoy a match when the skill-set is out of wack Killer or Survivor.

  • I only play on PS4, and it's absolutely awful.

    I'm currently at rank 12 killer and have gone against ranks 1-2 several times over the past couple of days.

  • @Dr_Loomis said:

    I only play on PS4, and it's absolutely awful.

    I'm currently at rank 12 killer and have gone against ranks 1-2 several times over the past couple of days.

    That's usually the issue most players have, being paired with higher tiered Killers and/or Survivors that far exceed their skill-set at that time. The new Rank Rework will fix that though, so it's not going to be like that forever.

  • @FireHazard said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1116273#Comment_1116273

    That's usually the issue most players have, being paired with higher tiered Killers and/or Survivors that far exceed their skill-set at that time. The new Rank Rework will fix that though, so it's not going to be like that forever.

    I hope so. If they could just at the very least sort out match-making, it would be an improvement.

  • @Dr_Loomis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1116284#Comment_1116284

    I hope so. If they could just at the very least sort out match-making, it would be an improvement.

    Definitely, at the moment it's one by one process, so it'll gradually be implemented as time goes on, rather than one big update.

    I believe this is to keep the whole process polished, just so nothing gets out of hand.

  • @FireHazard said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1113575#Comment_1113575

    I'm late to this, but i'm sorry to hear that your match-making isn't the greatest at this time.

    As said before, the Rank Rework should fix all these issues once it's fully implemented, but for the time being I can understand how frustrating it is to face a Red Rank Killer with teammates that're not fully equipped to face a Killer of that skill-set. Usually when the match-making acts this way, it'll just pair you with whoever it can find or has been waiting in queue, which is why you commonly find Yellow and Greens paired with Reds and Purples, the same goes for Killers, they wait awhile in the queue and as a result the queue just picks anything that's available.

    Understandable, this is be disheartening for lower-ranked Survivors/Killers that're trying to grind BPs and/or rank up, so I can see why this issue is a looming one for some players. The opposite can happen for Top-Tier Killers/Survivors as well, they get paired with... less skilled teammates... and/or paired with a Killer that isn't as invested in the meta, so it's hard to really enjoy a match when the skill-set is out of wack Killer or Survivor.

    Thank you for your regards. I hope the Rank Rework will fix all of this, or at least make things better than they are now. I imagine it won't be easy, because of the pipping system itself, which is how I think the Devs view the skill and capability of the players. As of late, survivor pipping is easy, whereas with killer, it's a challenge, and most emblems getting past silver usually requires on survivors making mistakes and not being good in chases. Then there's also swf to consider. A rank 14 after playing with swf after a 2 weeks or so should manage to get to red ranks, because of how much easier the game is; constant knowledge due to comms, no mind games, etc. What happens when he reaches red ranks and solo queues? Hopefully the Devs can nail the new ranking system, it'd be a huge quality of life and majorly healthy for the game.

  • @RobMeister88 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1116264#Comment_1116264

    Thank you for your regards. I hope the Rank Rework will fix all of this, or at least make things better than they are now. I imagine it won't be easy, because of the pipping system itself, which is how I think the Devs view the skill and capability of the players. As of late, survivor pipping is easy, whereas with killer, it's a challenge, and most emblems getting past silver usually requires on survivors making mistakes and not being good in chases. Then there's also swf to consider. A rank 14 after playing with swf after a 2 weeks or so should manage to get to red ranks, because of how much easier the game is; constant knowledge due to comms, no mind games, etc. What happens when he reaches red ranks and solo queues? Hopefully the Devs can nail the new ranking system, it'd be a huge quality of life and majorly healthy for the game.

    Exactly, but we won't know how it's going until the next update on it.

    At the moment though, the concept of a skill-based ranking system looks promising. The old ranking system has several issues at the moment as well, so it's good that we're finally upgrading the system for the bigger influx of players.