"Crutch" Rework

Please read all of it before responding. It's a lot. But if you do read you will see I'm not biased. I'm trying to be logical from both sides. And please be constructive. We are all working towards a fun and balanced game here. Let's stay positive :)

BTW: I'm an ex-killer main turned survivor main because of how much less stress it is in my opinion. I do stream and would consider myself good at both sides if that matters to you.

DS: Anti-Tunnel perk. Yes it stops tunneling. But it also ENCOURAGES the survivor to be more bold due to immunity (particularly when paired with unbreakable). I run it so I can get off hook and take the killer on another chase. Especially if it's close to the end of the game cuz I run adrenaline too.

Fix: If another survivor is downed and hooked, DS deactivates **as long as you are not in a downed state** In that scenario, you were no longer tunneled. Because the killer is on the other guy. If he downs you first. You get the full duration. That's it. Might need more. Might need less. But I think that's a start.

BT: just make it an exhaustion perk. If it takes your SB or DH to get to the hook and the killer is on your tail... You shouldn't be unhooking! Unhook safely OR if you have no choice (camping) then make sure you aren't exhausted before you make a bold move to unhook in his face. Also adds the option to NOT use BT if you want to keep your exhaustion / the killer isn't nearby. It's a free health state. All other "free health state" perks are exhaustion perks. Seems fair. Doesn't change much. But makes it more of a decision than a passive use thing.

DH: I think it's fine IMO. It's hard to use properly. If used well, it's great. But I'd say 75% of the time it can just be baited because people don't know how to use it properly. High skill cap for a high reward (of a free health state. At the cost of exhaustion).

Adrenaline: Unpopular opinion I think this one is okay too. Though I think the Sprint burst should only be if you are already full health.

Injured? Free heal. Applies/Refreshes exhaustion.

Healthy? Sprint burst. Applies/refreshes exhaustion.

To me, a heal is a free health state. A Sprint burst is a free health state. If you are getting chased at the end. Adrenaline gives you TWO free health states. The Sprint will get you to a loop, the heal makes em need to hit you twice again. That's a bit much. Either is fine. But I think both is just a LITTLE much.

None of these are big changes. Nerfs? Yes. Technically. But it doesn't change the core function of the perks.

It would however remove a lot of toxic behavior (intentional or otherwise) that can be done with it if you chose to abuse the mechanics.

We should all be aware that if a hook saver gets hit, blade cleaned, picked up, and placed on hook, that the guy who got pulled off the hook wasn't tunneled. The hit, blade clean, pick up, and hooking animations of the other guy were PLENTY of time for them to get out of there. The killer didn't tunnel so DS shouldn't be active. And if the killer DID tunnel... Chances are you got BT AAAND DS will still work! Double whammy tunnel boi.

All that being said. What do you think? And please please don't just say "no" or "git gud" or "don't tunnel". If you disagree with me that is FINE! I welcome your opinion. Just please be positive and give some explanation when you give it. I worked hard on this with examples and everything. I'd ask the same if you feel strongly against my opinion. Thanks for reading! Don't get lost in the Fog.

Comments

  • @Reaper_xx said:

    BT is fine the way it is. Killers shouldn't camping and tunneling. It's simply not fair for the survivor.

    In all honesty, of the perks I suggested changes to, BT is by far the least important. I don't find BT to really be a problem. In fact, as I mentioned. I don't even run it on survivor. So I clearly don't think it's as strong as other perks.

    But the change wouldn't be DRASTICALLY impactful I don't imagine. Though again I will point out that every other perk that gives a free hit causes exhaustion. Except one (mettle of man). But taking 3 protection hits for 1 free hit later is much harder to achieve than "yank someone off a hook even if it's unsafe".

  • "Though again I will point out that every other perk that gives a free hit causes adrenaline. Except one [(Borrowed Time)]."

    You meant 'causes exhaustion,' surely

  • @Kenidur said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1082018#Comment_1082018

    If you are the one abusing them, then maybe you should stop and then watch how matches go.

    As for Tunnel vision, It doesn't meant the killer won't go after someone else, while you're hooked. The problem is while the killer is in a chase, has hit (or has exposed or chainsaw, etc.) and is about to down someone when you get unhooked, He will down them, hook them, then immediately come back to you. Essentially playing ping pong between just those 2 survivors. He won't give a crap about the other 2. This is still tunneling, the only reason why he will target those 2 at that the first was on the hook longer than the killer expected and can see he now has 2 he can bounce between. I can guarantee you, if that 2nd person wasn't hit, or he couldn't get them down in 1 shot, He will return to the hook immediately to go after the first.

    As for borrowed time, The other person said it best, with how many clutch perks used to save yourself, HO, BL, Lithe, etc, adding exhaustion to a perk designed to help your teammate is overkill. you're forcing the choice, Do I bring something to save others, or something to save myself? The fact that these perks can work in Synergy, isn't something that should be punished. If you do start punishing these, then you know survivors will want any killer synergy perks nerf'ed as well. No using Dying Light with Thanataphobia, Agitation, with Iron Grasp, etc.

    Faulting the perks design for your abuse of them isn't the issue that needs to be addressed, The reason these perks were put in is the issue that should be addressed. Again, If the number of camping/tunneling killers dropped dramatically, the need for these perks to be in the build in the first place would be gone. Survivors will use more than "Meta" perks during the match and it will probably be more fun for all. Personally I'd like to go back to using Self Care, Botany, Streetwise, Empathy, and run around with a med kit healing. but so many camping, tunneling killers in the game, I must regularly run BT, DS, Lithe(or BL,HO, etc), and Unbreakabill, WMI, or Iron Will.

    I can see some of your logic. However, telling someone to stop abusing something isn't the right move. Stopping the abuse is the right move.

    The game IS about making choices. Do I play safe? Do I put myself in danger for someone else? Etc.

    To help make my point. Why is it fair that a killer can go outside the terror radius to avoid BT enabling. Wait for you to unhook. Then tunnel the unhooked guy? It's not fair. It's working the system.

    Change BT to be exhaustion. But with no other requirements. Now if they sit outside the terror radius, or down someone and head straight for the unhooked guy. They can still be given BT. Sure would help wouldn't it?

    And best of all. It can't be abused on either side. Its a choice to use your exhaustion how you want.

  • @Nos37 said:

    "Though again I will point out that every other perk that gives a free hit causes adrenaline. Except one [(Borrowed Time)]."

    You meant 'causes exhaustion,' surely

    Fixed it. Thank you

  • @Nos37 said:

    Adrenaline should not activate when the hatch is closed.

    "You are fuelled by unexpected energy when on the verge of ESCAPE."

    The verge of escape, not the verge of peril.

    I've said that NOED should not proc from the hatch being closed. "The last remaining Survivor has very little chance as it is, so why should NOED Proc?" The counter-argument was that if the Killer found the hatch first and closed it, then the Survivor has pretty much lost and deserves to die, so NOED doesn't really change anything.

    Why then, is the Survivor on the verge of escape when their death is almost guaranteed with the hatch closing. Death is Not an Escape.

    To be honest that wording was chosen before hatch closing was a thing. Back then, it was only triggered by generator completion.

    And technically they are on the verge of escape. Or death. But hatch closing powers the exit gates. All they gotta do is open one and get out! (Way easier said than done) but still. They are on the verge of escape. So idk about that one. It's tough enough as is once the hatch is closed. A heal probably won't really change anything.

  • 3 things

    1. I don't blame you for not maining killer anymore, it's too stressful which is why I quit. Yeah sure I could play survivor but I get bored very easily playing survivor due to the lack of skill involved with survivor.


    2. I would just shorten the timer for DS. We slug DS because it's the only counter to it. While I I agree with your statement, I believe the timer shouldn't be paused because the killer is trying to counter the perk.


    3. I am situational about DH. Because of how strong looping is and the fact survivors aren't using DH as it's intended, something needs to be done about DH because it's literally being used to prolong chases and not to avoid taking a hit.

  • @MigrantTheGreat said:

    3 things

    1. I don't blame you for not maining killer anymore, it's too stressful which is why I quit. Yeah sure I could play survivor but I get bored very easily playing survivor due to the lack of skill involved with survivor.

    2. I would just shorten the timer for DS. We slug DS because it's the only counter to it. While I I agree with your statement, I believe the timer shouldn't be paused because the killer is trying to counter the perk.

    3. I am situational about DH. Because of how strong looping is and the fact survivors aren't using DH as it's intended, something needs to be done about DH because it's literally being used to prolong chases and not to avoid taking a hit.

    1. Thanks. I'm just enjoying how easy and broken it is by comparison lol. Its kinda fun to have all the power for once.

    2. The timer doesn't pause when on the ground in my suggestion. In fact, if you are downed the and the killer runs off to hook someone else, the timer continues. They CAN wait it out. The change was that if someone else is hooked BEFORE you are downed. DS deactivates. But we don't want people to tunnel one down, hook someone else to disable the first guys DS. Hard to put into words but... As long as you hook someone else before you down the unhooked guy. The unhooked guy loses his DS. If you down the guy with DS first. Then it doesn't matter what you do, DS works the way it does now (they don't lose or gain any progress on their DS timer).

    3. DH is being used to prolong chases. But thats high skill use. You have to be good to use it right and efficiently. Looping is its own problem that should be addressed. But if you change DH to fix looping. Then one day when they fix looping. They will need to fix DH again. DH feels pretty balanced. High reward for high skill use (get to next loop). Low reward for low skill use (Dodge one hit, buy a few seconds). No reward for no skill use (baited, mistimed, etc.)

1 2 ›