4k'ing is not up to skill

If you get a 4k, consider yourself lucky, because that's what you are. Now, this is not a discussion about the difficulty of chasing, downing, and hooking survivors on a strict timer, as much as I'd love to rant about that. It is about the hatch, that lovely little feature that has robbed killers of almost as many kills as SWF has. Sometimes those things are used in the same match (scary, right?). I was playing on Rancid Abortoir with Clown and I managed to hook 1 survivor and slug another while the other 2 held back because of my NOED (stay on topic). The survivor on hook dies, I try to find where that slugged guy went, and then the other 2 survivors strangely left quickly through the one opened exit. Can't find the slugged guy, but then the game results screen shows up, because he was sitting on trap door when it opened. Obvious SWF. That got me thinking, "Man, how many times have I been screwed by the hatch?" Or more specifically, "How many times have I gotten a 3k in what should have been a 4k win?" Turns out: all the time. My story is shared by most other killers. We dominate the survivors, but it doesn't even matter because the last guy gets an RNG hatch spawn and lives. If I slug for the 4k (boring af, btw) the last survivor might get it regardless either because he was on the hatch and I physically couldn't get there in time before the survivor I hooked died and activated it, or you're still on 4 gens or something (not realistic, but for argument's sake) and the hatch spawns on the guy and he gets away. And then there's keys where it's literally possible for all 4 survivors to escape through, which is a joke to me that that can even happen. Forget arguing about how OP keys are; the hatch gives a free escape even without them! The only slightly good defense of the hatch that I've heard is, "Well, what if your team sucks and you're the last one? Do you just die because if their mistakes?" YES! It's a team game! Imagine the concept of the hatch in any other team-based game, like CS:GO or example! You don't get to win for free as some sort of pity award! We know the devs are survivor biased, like wow, is it obvious. Want to try and change my mind? Then implement this change: Remove the hatch. Maybe then we can get true 4k's instead of RNG 4k's and wrongful 3k's.

Comments

  • Wanna hear what's more dumb? The Hatch wasn't added to the game to "give the last survivor a chance to survive".

    It was added so that "the last survivor can no longer take the game hostage by remaining hidden".

    Try adding that to your coffee and drinking it. The dev's literally dealt with a problem of survivors taking the game hostage, by giving them free wins.

  • Yeah, sorry it's kinda long. I'm still in the essay mindset from college.

  • @NullEXE said:

    Wanna hear what's more dumb? The Hatch wasn't added to the game to "give the last survivor a chance to survive".

    It was added so that "the last survivor can no longer take the game hostage by remaining hidden".

    Try adding that to your coffee and drinking it. The dev's literally dealt with a problem of survivors taking the game hostage, by giving them free wins.

    Survivor is screwed 90% of the times if the killer finds the hatch and closes it, I dont think its exactly a "free win" for survivors.

  • @NullEXE said:

    Wanna hear what's more dumb? The Hatch wasn't added to the game to "give the last survivor a chance to survive".

    It was added so that "the last survivor can no longer take the game hostage by remaining hidden".

    Try adding that to your coffee and drinking it. The dev's literally dealt with a problem of survivors taking the game hostage, by giving them free wins.

    They should have just added the endgame collapse *instead of* the hatch so that wouldn't happen. Have it activate after there's 1 survivor left or something. But no, they never settle for simple solutions, do they?

  • @Todgeweiht said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1063050#Comment_1063050

    Survivor is screwed 90% of the times if the killer finds the hatch and closes it, I dont think its exactly a "free win" for survivors.

    But the fact that it *can* be a free escape is the problem. Take more than a glance at what I said.

  • @Todgeweiht said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1063050#Comment_1063050

    Survivor is screwed 90% of the times if the killer finds the hatch and closes it, I dont think its exactly a "free win" for survivors.

    I would really love to see where you came up with that figure. Any good survivor knows that if you wait at the door furthest from the Hatch (and in some cases either door), and let the killer close the hatch. You can open the door before he even reaches you. The speed of opening the door is increased by Spine Chill if you want to rely on this tactic solely to survive.

    Yes that's right, a person can rely solely on the hatch mechanic for free wins and will escape most of the time.

    Also let's be honest the hatch locations are not difficult to remember, so if you played this game a while then you already know where they are going to spawn, and at that point it's just a race of who can get there first. Just the difference is the Survivors have a perk that tells them where it is, or the use of Rainbow Map, or they can choose to stake out an exit gate, and get the free win all the same. The killer has even less of a chance to secure a 4k simply because this mechanic exists - even in matches where survivors do not complete even 1 generator.

    EDIT: I should also add that escaping - in any way is a guaranteed black pip for survivors, even in red ranks. So playing selfishly, and building yourself entirely around the hatch mechanic will get you to rank 1 in no time, with only little effort into other objectives. You're welcome I just told you how to break the game.